6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 10:03 PM by stefanhdd

Compatibility check for home-built PC

stefanhdd

Hey, all.

I'm considering building my first pc and was wondering if someone here would help me with a compatibility check and feedback. If I post a list of all the parts I'm planning on using, will someone look over it for me?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Compatibility check for home-built PC
          CarWiz

The first order of business is to determine your use of the PC and the features you want. (USB-3, SATA-3, eSATA, Firewire, HD Audio, HD graphics, etc.)

This would be the second place to look: http://processormatch.intel.com/COMPDB/default.aspx

Keep in mind that this is an Intel site so answers on compatibility will generally be directed to Intel products. If you start with someone else's motherboard, seek help from them since they are more able to confirm compatibility.  Other than that, ask away!    

Forgot to mention: If you plan on using one or more SSDs, there's a few boards to avoid or at least plan your hard drive usage.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Compatibility check for home-built PC
            stefanhdd

Great, thanks!

This is what I'm thinking so far:

• Motherboard: Intel BOXDX58SO2
            • Possessor: Intel Core i7 990X
            • Power supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600W
            • Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced full tower
            • I'm not sure about the wireless adapter. I'm thinking maybe the Orinoco 802.11A/B/G/N Usb Clt Adpt 8494-Us
            • Memory: Perhaps Crucial DDR3-2000??
            • Video: ???
            • Storage: HDD or SSD?
            • Multi card reader: ???
            • Optical drive: ???

How does this all look so far? Suggestions? What else am I missing? I already have a keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor.

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Compatibility check for home-built PC
              CarWiz

If this is your first build, you might want to look at other boards or read the reviews. I don't think the board supports DDR3-2000. As a matter of fact, I think you need to update the BIOS to support DDR3-1600 memory. That means building the system with 1333 just to update the BIOS then switch to 1600. Another item to consider is that the board supports only SATA-2 (3Gb/s). To get the full benefit of current SSDs, you'll want SATA-3 (6Gb/s). It can mean the difference between a WEI score of 5.7 (or less) and 7.9 on the sys-disk. (7.9 is currently the highest score awarded by MS.) And, there's no USB-3. There's not a lot of support (products) now but there will be in a few months. It makes a big difference on thumb drives and external backup. Not to mention cameras.

Step away from the "me too" crowd. This board is old technology and you'll be spending a lot of time "under the hood" to get processing power that's bone stock with the Sandy Bridge at a better price-point. Just my opinion. Your milage may vary.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Compatibility check for home-built PC
                stefanhdd

Thanks for your reply.

You're right about the DDR3-2000, my bad. It only supports up to 1600 like you said. Check out the board here, because there seem to be a few differences between what you've said and what that page says. Perhaps I gave the wrong part number or I'm just missing something. For example, you said it doesn't have any USB 3.0 ports, but the page says it has two (or can be configured for two?). Also, it says that the board has two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports.

I'll check out Sandy Bridge. Any one in particular?

Any other suggestions? Is there an easy way to find out which parts are compatible with which boards?

Thanks a lot for your help.

• 5. Re: Compatibility check for home-built PC
                  CarWiz

Ops, my bad too. I was looking at the "gen 1" specs. Sorry. I was looking at that board myself (...A couple of years ago) and had a copy. You are most correct on the current version.  I don't recommend boards but take a look at the i7-2600K and the DP67BG motherboard. What ever you decide be sure to read the reviews and can cope (live with) each board's intricacies.

• 6. Re: Compatibility check for home-built PC
                    stefanhdd

I'll check those out. Thanks again for all your help!