4 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 8:11 PM by Tom_B

Is the optical S/PDIF control interfered with by Sony software?

Tom_B

I need to determine if the control for optical digital audio output (S/PDIF) in Windows XP-Pro is interfered with by Sony software.

I can not locate a volume control for the optical audio output for my Intel DG45ID board. The audio is there when connected to other devices (portable audio recorders) but is very low, and needs adjustment.

The system is XP-Pro (SP3), and I am using the IDT audio driver from the Intel DVD-ROM that came with the Intel board.

The system also has a couple of Sony products installed, including Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 9, and Sony Sonic Stage.

• 1. Re: Is the optical S/PDIF control interfered with by Sony software?
          CarWiz

From what I understand, S/PDIF is digital and therefore contains no volume.  The volume would be handled by the external device or amplifier.

• 2. Re: Is the optical S/PDIF control interfered with by Sony software?
            Tom_B

CarWiz wrote:

From what I understand, S/PDIF is digital and therefore contains no volume.  The volume would be handled by the external device or amplifier.

I would be happy if that were true.  I have found the main volume control that's heard on the speakers raises and lowers the level of audio to the device connected to the S/PDIF optical output from the Intel board.  I'm using Windows XP-Pro.  Apparently it's different with Windows 7.  I wish they would release a new update of the IDT audio control panel for XP that has the same functions as the last update for Win 7. 

What I really need is a constant output that can go to another device (amplified speaker, amplifier, recorder, etc.) where the main audio level to the computer speakers are independent.

• 3. Re: Is the optical S/PDIF control interfered with by Sony software?
              CarWiz

Well, apparently there IS some amplitude control on the digital output. That's new to me. It's like being able to adjust the volume of your disk drive(s) for read/write.   I know I can task the jacks in Win7 on the BH67BL but it's through the driver and software. When I was recording some old vinyls to disk with Audacity, I had to turn off the system speakers (in the display) through Audacity. This is plugged into the backplane GREEN jack. The sound (great 50s/60s Rock) was present on all output jacks. I had amplified speakers connected to the front "headphone" jack because I had read that folks couldn't monitor the output from the Sony turntable without it. Evidently, that was just a quirk with the Sony software that came with the turntable.  I was getting sound via Audacity but it had a slight delay or echo.  I found the option to turn that sound monitor off in the software and just drive the speakers plugged into the front jack. This jack is connected to the motherboard HD header.

One thing Win7 does is ask you what you just plugged into the front jack. If you answer speakers, all other jacks remain active. If you answer headphones, other output jacks (speakers) are suppressed. There must be a way to task your output the same way. Your board manual shows a table of jacks that can be tasked. I just didn't spend much time looking at it.

My old Sony Vaio desktop has the Sony software and XP but it doesn't even have front jacks so I can't test it out here. Sorry.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is the optical S/PDIF control interfered with by Sony software?
                Tom_B

CarWiz wrote:

One thing Win7 does is ask you what you just plugged into the front jack. If you answer speakers, all other jacks remain active. If you answer headphones, other output jacks (speakers) are suppressed. There must be a way to task your output the same way. Your board manual shows a table of jacks that can be tasked. I just didn't spend much time looking at it.

My old Sony Vaio desktop has the Sony software and XP but it doesn't even have front jacks so I can't test it out here. Sorry.

I don't see that kind of option with Windows XP.

I'd be happy with an audio output that is separate from the speaker level control.  It seems there was a lot left out of the planning of audio controls for Windows, unlike the arrangement with a lot of stereo systems.