5 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2011 10:03 AM by zaki_ncc

PC hangs and does starts before 10 min

zaki_ncc

Hi,

I am using DG33FB motherboard with E8400 processor since 3 years (BIOS version is DPP3510J.86A.0572.2009.0715.2346). 2 days back, my computer stopped working (hanged) suddenly. i pressed the power button to whitch off and start. But, it didn't worked. I had to remove the power cord. PC was off, when i pressed power button to started it didn't started before 10 minutes of shutdown. Since then whenever i am shutting down the PC it takes 10 minutes from the shutdown to boot.

I had to do somthing, I removed the CMOS battery and connected again. It worked very nicely for 2 hours. But, again it hanged and didn't started untill i removed the power cord. Then, i became very clear that, there is somthing wrong with the motherboard. I installed Intel Desktop Ulitity and found Memory Controller Hub Vcc is out of range. It's average power remains between 1.028V to 1.040V. I have attached the screenshot.

I am writing this from the same PC. not sure when it will hang again. Please advice what i can do. Is there anyway i can do to resolve this? Please help...

Regards,

Zaki

P1.jpgP2.jpg

• 1. Re: PC hangs and does starts before 10 min
          Curious592

I have noticed that my MCH Vcc reading could dip below the minimum on occasion but was uncertain if it mattered.  It may be that a different power supply could help but I don't know if any raise it much above 1.1.  Other components such as monitor can contribute to problems but a new name-brand PS would be a good start.

• 2. Re: PC hangs and does starts before 10 min
            Flying_Kiwi

Zakaria Habib wrote:

I had to do somthing, I removed the CMOS battery and connected again. It worked very nicely for 2 hours. But, again it hanged and didn't started untill i removed the power cord.

So if removing the motherboard coin cell/battery then reinserting it gets things going again nicely for a while, it may be worth renewing that before you try anything else - they're cheap enough to buy and at 3 yrs of age it may be on the way out. Normally a flat motherboard battery will be accompanied by errors such as loosing the date and time and various settings but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and if taking out the battery and putting it in again makes a difference, it think it's worth changing that before spending bigger money on PSUs etc (especially if all your 3.3, 5 and 12 volt rail voltages are all within spec and stay relatively smooth/fluctuation free). The motherboard manual will tell you the correct way to do it (note the AC power should be unplugged and drained from the system by attempting to start the PC while it's unplugged for this).

It is a sad fact that PSUs are the most common components to fail on PCs. I've worked as a computer technician and particularly with older PCs, we'd sometimes get a spate of failures over hot days so Curious's suggestion would be the next thing I'd consider.

• 3. Re: PC hangs and does starts before 10 min
              Curious592

Z. H. wrote - But, again it hanged and didn't started untill i removed the power cord.

If at all possible it would be best to press the restart button, or use "soft off" by pressing the power button for 4 seconds or whenever it shuts down.  If you start replacing parts it is sometimes best to take the approach of building a new system.  The regular improvements in onboard graphics make that appealing as an alternative to adding a card or other upgrades that are built in on newer boards.  With an E8400 that probably is not your intent.

• 4. Re: PC hangs and does starts before 10 min
                zaki_ncc

Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried to replace the CMOS battery. It didn't worked. My next step will be changing the OS. If this this didn't work, I'll change the Power Supply Unit.

Regards,

Zaki

• 5. Re: PC hangs and does starts before 10 min
                  zaki_ncc

Hi guys,

I had to change my motherboard. Vendor said there is a motherboard / CMOS virus which caused such trouble. However, Intel does not have a built-in antivirus inside the board and Intel does not have a office / servicing centre in Bangladesh. Hence, my motherboard could not be fixed.

Regards,

Zaki