13 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2011 7:56 AM by Curious592

Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low

Tom_B

The audio volume level from the S/PDIF output connector on my DG45ID is very low.  It appears to connect OK when tried with either of two Sony Minidisk audio recorders, with the same result.  The audio is there - - just at a low level.  I do not find an adjustment on the IDT audio control panel for this.  So I have this question. (I am running XP-Pro, SP3.)  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
          Curious592

If you haven't changed it, the output level should be 100 in Windows control panel > manage audio devices > S/PDIF properties.

• 2. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
            Tom_B

Curious592 wrote:

If you haven't changed it, the output level should be 100 in Windows control panel > manage audio devices > S/PDIF properties.

We do not find any S/PDIF properties under Control Panel > "Sounds and Audio Devices," or in the IDT Audio Control Panel.  I wonder where this went.

• 3. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
              Curious592

The Main screen of IDT panel and the Windows Audio Devices is totally missing SPDIF !?!  Your recorder software must have removed this.  I encountered something similar using a 9600GT and virtualization enabled on DG45ID.  The nVidia and HDMI drivers are missing in device manager but the system works and the Control panel remains.  Due to a lack of time I haven't pursued it any further.  I can only suggest you uninstall what caused the problem and/or do a system restore to an earlier date to investigate further.  It may be necessary to adjust levels prior to install but Sony might help more.

• 4. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
                Tom_B

Curious592 wrote:

The Main screen of IDT panel and the Windows Audio Devices is totally missing SPDIF !?!  Your recorder software must have removed this.  I encountered something similar using a 9600GT and virtualization enabled on DG45ID.  The nVidia and HDMI drivers are missing in device manager but the system works and the Control panel remains.  Due to a lack of time I haven't pursued it any further.  I can only suggest you uninstall what caused the problem and/or do a system restore to an earlier date to investigate further.  It may be necessary to adjust levels prior to install but Sony might help more.

The system does have Sony Sonic Stage 4.3 (for importing ATRAC audio files from their Minidisk format) and Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 9.  So far I haven't found an audio level control for S/PDIF that was moved over to one of these.  I'm not inclined to give up on this one.

• 5. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
                  Curious592

Most likely the IDT and Sony SoundForge apps are incompatible.  That is something Sony should have a discussion about somewhere.  You may have to do a clean install without IDT or restore to before SoundForge was installed and remove IDT sound.  Windows 7 SP1 seemed to behave somewhat differently with regard to  my wireless card until I installed it appropriately without the wired LAN connected.  The functions were the same but the integration was different.  If you had included some mention of Sony SoundForge in your header it might have attracted more attention from Sony users.  Good luck.

The balance and output level in older systems I assembled seemed to be sensitive to whether my speakers were connected when the drivers was installed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
                    Tom_B

OK, I'll post a message asking about interference to the S/PDIF control and Sony Soundforge.  I may experiment around with some other things, including removing IDT and re-installing it, etc.  The version of IDT came to me on the Intel Express Installer DVD-ROM.  Since I have not tried to use the S/PDIF optical output before I don't recall seeing the control for it anywhere on my XP-Pro control panel

• 7. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
                      Curious592

My XP Pro system has a Realtek driver on an old board so it only shows regular jacks.  There has been at least one audio driver update that might address this issue but otherwise IDT isn't being used as far as I know.  The other drivers, particularly the INF file, should also be downloaded and installed.  The Soundforge may be specific to recording but typically such apps provide for everything and file associations may be made that you don't intend if the default installation is used.  The audio should be installed after the INF since that is typically the most problematic and any issues can be resolved before continuing with other drivers.

• 8. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
                        Tom_B
                        It appears other products have audio level controls for S/PIDF
                        applications.  Click here:

http://snapstream.helpserve.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1402

http://www.jensign.com/spdif/index.html

http://www.htomega.com/faq13.html

• 9. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
                          Curious592

The relevant panels with Win 7 and DG45ID/IDT

IDT_SPDIFPanel.PNG

StereoMixRecording.PNG

The Stereo Mix is not enabled and level is 0 for default.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do but a sound card or video card may provide a solution with WinXP.

You may want to look at advanced properties which for my microphone was set at 84.

• 10. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
                            Tom_B

I upgraded to the latest driver for Windows XP that is shown on the Intel web page.  This changed some of the controls for Dolby Home Theater, but there were no changes that I can find related to these S/PDIF issues. 

Be aware that on downloading this driver, Kaspersky Anti-Virus determines that it is a virus, and blocks it.  So it is necessary to turn off this Anti-Virus until the installation is complete. 

I wish I had controls like have been shown here for Windows 7, and would like to find IDT or someone offering a program that will deliver this. 

The Sony audio recorders have instructions for manually setting audio levels between two marks on the VU meters.  So far I have not been able to get a display between these two marks.  It does come close to the bottom mark, though. 

There are some other issues with audio here, where playback of various sources is mixed with the tones and .wav files Windows XP sends to alert the user.  They all come in on the one .wav control, and apparently can't be separated.  So for those who want to record audio from the computer, it is an issue.   Somehow these situations just were not planned for.

I wish the IDT program had better instructions.  There are so many things that users are left guessing about.

• 11. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
                              Curious592

The alert sounds can be disabled.  If someone wants to narrate with music in the background that is possible.  It was probably due to the old motherboard but I wasn't impressed with the sound when I tried a little recording with Realtek.  I seem to recall similar leveling problems as well as distortion.  Part of the problem was the looping that was required through the receiver.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
                                Tom_B

I spent several hours with the Intel support - - an office in Costa Rica.  They were very courteous, but did not appear to know all the answers about this. 

I just wish there were an upgrade for the IDT product for XP that would give me the same display & functions you are seeing with Windows 7.  I also wish the existing IDT product had better explanations for end user/consumers than we see with it now.

Where I am in Texas, there is a live audio and video feed of our State House and Senate, which are now in session.  I would like to feed that from the computer either to one of the Sony recorders, or an audio system, or both.  I want to do that while running the regular audio I've always had on my local computer speakers. 

• 13. Re: Audio volume level from S/PDIF output connector is very low
                                  Curious592

Unless there are other legacy apps that you value that benefit from XP you would be happier with Windows 7.  For several reasons I've found two computers is ideal.  Although Windows Media Center works with XP all indications are that the only reason for using that WMC version is financial.   Ubuntu would be an option.  That would be tedious initially but like XP it could be maintained as is for a long time or be supported by forums for upgrades.  You might check their forums for any mention of Sigmatel or IDT.