3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 1:18 PM by CarWiz

DH67CL - Front Panel Audio Header

DukeT

Hi,

I want to connect the AC97 front audio panel to the motherboard. But the pdf Product Guide and the pdf Technical Product Specification show differents pin signals for the AC97 configuration.

In the Product Guide:

1 MIC

2 AUD_GND
      3 MIC_BIAS

4 PRESENCE#
      5 FP_OUT_R

6 AUD_GND
      7 No connect

8 KEY (no pin)
      9 FP_OUT_L

10 AUD_GND

In the Technical Product Specification:

1 MIC

2 AUD_GND
      3 MIC_BIAS

4 AUD_GND
      5 FP_OUT_R

6 FP_RETURN_R
      7 AUD_5V

8 KEY (no pin)
      9 FP_OUT_L

10 FP_RETURN_L

Which is the right one ?

Can I connect the pins 6 and 10 without damaging the motherboard?

Thanks

• 1. Re: DH67CL - Front Panel Audio Header
          CarWiz

I'm not sure this is any help but I have the BL version of the motherboard installed in a case that came with an AC97 front panel built in as well as USB and ESATA.  From what I remember, I checked the case's lead pin-out to the Technical Reference. I plugged the lead from the case into the header and it works. I think the header is programmable via the chipset. Some pins are left open for this reason and only connected (electronically) after setup. When I plugged something into the front jacks, Windows7 asked what I was going to use in that jack. (Headphone, speaker, mic, etc.)  I believe the actual driver for this setup is from Realtek(?sp) so make sure you have the current driver. You can even setup what speaker output you want from the front jack as well as the type of input on the mic jack. Very flexable. I like it!

• 2. Re: DH67CL - Front Panel Audio Header
            DukeT

Thanks for the reply.

The problem concerns the pins FP_RETURN_R and FP_RETURN_L.

Did you connect them to the motherboard?

I've checked the specifications for other H67 boards. There is the same error.

• 3. Re: DH67CL - Front Panel Audio Header
              CarWiz

I'm not sure what you're asking. AC97 specs use the same header as the HD specs. The pin assignment varies depending what you connect and the codec used. And that's where the software takes over. Pin 6 and 10 will be the headphone "ground" or return under AC97. Under HD, these pins can be ground or a digital sense feedback. What are you trying to connect to the header? Are you trying to wire your own connector or feed from another board?  Maybe this link will help. The setup is referred to as IFPA spec (Intel Front Panel Audio). Some manufactures follow the specification and some don't but generally, all audio front panels will be wired to connect to the header.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-015851.htm