3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2011 3:40 PM by Salem_Intel

Firepro v7800 and dp67bg pcie speed

andreas574

I recently bought a DP67BG board, with chipset rev B3, already updated to the latest bios released in late april.

the board works fine together with the graphics card, but if I check in the bios I see that the pci-e link is rated at 2.5 Gb/s while I expected a full 5 Gb/s, as the video card is rated as PCI-e 2.1.

Did anybody else notice this problem?

I'm a bit worried because I need to add an hardware raid controller and in the specs it is reported that, if the second 16x slot is populated then both slots will run an 8x link, which may affect the video performance of the system, if the sppeed of the video card still runs at 2.5 Gb/s.

Andreas574

• 1. Re: Firepro v7800 and dp67bg pcie speed
          Salem_Intel

Hi,

I confirm the Intel(R) Desktop Board DP67BG provides support for PCI Express* Revision 2.0; see page 10 of the Technical Product Specification:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19482/eng/DP67BG_TechProdSpec.pdf

Hence, I'd recommend the following:

1. Ensure your 2.1 video card is backwards compatible.

2. "The minimum recommended power supply is 460 W." (qtd. on page 55 of the same Technical Product Specification); hence, if your power supply meets this, I'd suggest the following:

2.1. Restart the system into BIOS by pressing <F2> during the boot process.

2.2. Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.

2.3. Reset any customized BIOS settings

2.4. Clear all DMI event logs by setting the option to "Enable", which is located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.

2.5. Just to be 100% sure, make sure you disable any unused ports in BIOS; for instance, you can disable "Boot to USB".

2.6. Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.  Test.

• 2. Re: Firepro v7800 and dp67bg pcie speed
            andreas574

Thanks for your answer.

My power supply is an Enermax Galaxy rated at 850W, so. even if I did not make any modification to the bios, I followed your suggestions, but the reported PCI-e speed did not change. For instance, after resetting the bios to default values, I disabled the boot from USB, from removable devices and from Network.

The video card is backward compatible with the gen 2 standard.

What's strange is that GPUz, ver. 0.5.3 reports the card as a PCI-e 2.0 card running at 16x and at PCI-e 2.0 speed.

In my opinio thee are the possibilities:

- The bios reports incorrectly the speed of the card

- GPU-Z does not perform a PCI-e speed test, it just reports the spec value

- The windows 7 driver during the initialization of the card is able to set the bus at the right speed.

Which one of the above applies?

Andrea Scopelliti

• 3. Re: Firepro v7800 and dp67bg pcie speed
              Salem_Intel

Hi,

If you followed my previous suggestions, yet the card speed situation continues, at this point, I'd recommend referring to both, the developer of CPUZ  and that of the Operating System.  Yould alternatively check with the  card manufacturer to see if they have a firmware update for it that you  can try.