2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2013 9:08 PM by Matthew

IOCBIOS driver not present

woodylarkin

Inoperable hardware devices:

Device type: IOCBIOS

Device is not present, not working properly, or does not have all of its drivers installed.

ROOT\LEGACY_IOCBIOS\0000

I have located this problem in the Device Manager on Windows 7. I have a SMACKOVER DX58SO mainboard. My computer works fine (32 bit windows). However, I am not able to update the BIOS using any of the INTEL Express BIOS update software releases (I am able to update using .BIO file). This has been present for a long time (1-2 years). Whenever a new BIOS is released, I try to run the .exe software update and I always get a message that says I do not have an INTEL board which is of couse, nonsense. Any other identification utilities recognize the board.

My question is: How do I update this driver? Nothing shows up on a search of the INTEL site. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Woody Larkin

• 1. Re: IOCBIOS driver not present

Posted:9/22/2010 10:40:00 AM
          # 2

I found this on Google. I did remove it as described below. I still cannot run the BIOS.exe file without getting a message that the system I am trying to update is not based on an Intel board. I don't know what this application is checking....if I did I would remove the error, but after searching the registry, the device manager, the system, app data, etc. I can't find anything. My big mistake apparrently was installing the INTEL Desktop Tuning application. Even though it has long been uninstalled, this problem persists and Intel doesn't seem to have any fix for it.

Hi, if you can't disable the service, and you know which service it is, boot into safe mode and delete it.

As you already know, IOCBIOS (IOCBIOS.sys) is the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility driver. See if you can find the driver (IOCBIOS.sys) and delete it as well while you're in safe mode, check the driver directory in the system folder, see path below.

If you can't locate IOCBIOS.sys, after deleting the service, go into the device manager and delete the entry there. Locating and deleting the driver from the system folder would be the preferred method.

When you're done run a registry cleaner to remove any leftover keys, I believe CCleaner is free, might want to try that.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\IOCBIOS.sys

Delete a Service:
          1. Run Regedit or regedt32.
          2. Find the registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services
          3. Find the service there and delete it.

• 2. Re: IOCBIOS driver not present
            Matthew

What you want to do is go into Device Manger and click on the "View" button/tab. Then click on "Show Hidden Devices". You will find the IOCBIOS under that forest expansion where you will then be able to uninstall it if you so desire.