Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20596 Discussions

Graphics drivers' setup.exe launches turbo boost installation

idata
Employee

Hello,

I have been unable to fix an issue, so I made this forum account to ask for some help.

I have a Dell XPS L501X with an i7 Q740 and Nvidia GT 435M. The graphics card is supposed to have "Optimus", meaning it should switch off (and enable intel graphics) when not needed. I have determined that this is not happening. In other words, the discrete graphics card is always running. This is making my battery drain much faster, and it also seems to be generating more heat and noise.

In the device manager, under "display adapters" only the Nvidia card is listed. I figure the Intel HD graphics should be listed there also, but it is not. I have tried to download and install the appropriate intel graphics drivers, but when the setup.exe is run for the drivers something strange happens. Instead of installing the graphics drivers, the setup.exe tries to install turbo boost drivers. (I have tried graphics drivers from both intel.com and dell.com)

This has lead me to believe that turbo boost is not working properly. But, looking at the "Turbo Boost Technology Monitor" provided by Intel, it seems to be working just fine. I did notice that in the device manager, the turbo boost driver has a flag next to it with error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I believe that the turbo boost does not require this software driver, and it is working dispite this error message. By the way, speed step is activated in the dell bios.

So, that is where I am at. I can not seem to get the intel graphics drivers to install. If you can offer any help it would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi there!

Based on the problem description, it looks like a BIOS problem, this does not sound as onboard graphics controller issue. I would say that your BIOS is not powering on the internal graphics (Intel), I recommend contacting your computer manufacturer for information about BIOS settings or update your computer BIOS, it may help.

Thanks

Allan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have just checked your processor model and the i7-740QM, this processor does not come with onboard graphics solution. I believe this is why "Optimus" feature does not work. In other words, the computer will work with discrete graphics only.

Please check processor specifications below:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49024&code=i7-740q http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49024&code=i7-740q

Allan.

0 Kudos