5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 1:03 AM by nimar

problem with Intel Server Chassis SR2300

nimar

Hello.

Configuration of server:

• Intel Server Chassis SR2300,
      • Intel Server Board SE7501WV2,
      • PCI Raid Card Adaptec ASR2010S
      • 5 scsi hard drives with properly configured SCSI id with jumpers.

and after booting i can only see 2 drives. Those in 1.0 and 1.3 bays... What im doing wrong that the rest of hard drives do not start ? ... It's not issue of hard drive, becouse when i put other drives to 1.0 or 1.3 bay they start. It looks like only those mentioned hard drive bays get "power".

Please help.

• 1. Re: problem with Intel Server Chassis SR2300
          edwardzh

Very old product... I believe you're using 80-pin drives with SCSI backplane right? SCSI ID is configured by the backplane so you don't need to configure them on the drives using jumpers...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: problem with Intel Server Chassis SR2300
            nimar

Yes, this product is very old. So are the hard drives. Got them 5 :

bay 1.0: seagate cheetah ST336706L3 (FW: 010A) - this one is visible in adaptec asr2010 setup utility

bay 1.1: seagate cheetah ST336607LC (FW: 0003) - this one is unpowered and not visible in setup utility

bay 1.2: seagate cheetah ST336607LC (FW: 0003) - this one is unpowered and not visible in setup utility

bay 1.3: seagate cheetah ST336706L3 (FW: 010A) - this one is visible in adaptec asr2010 setup utility

bay 1.4: seagate cheetah ST336807LC (FW: 0001) - this one is unpowered and not visible in setup utility

bay 1.5: empty

I have tested youre suggestion and when i removed jumpers from drive placed in bay 1.3 he dissapeared from adaptec setup utility... but still was powered. In conclusion they have to be configured using jumpers...

Any other suggestion ?

• 3. Re: problem with Intel Server Chassis SR2300
              edwardzh

it seems both ST336706L3 work but all ST336607LC don't...

You can try to use only one known good drive to test, insert it into each drive bay and see if it powers on. If it doens't work in certain slots then maybe the SCSI backplane is defective.

• 4. Re: problem with Intel Server Chassis SR2300
                Doc_SilverCreek

Have you tried the drives singly?

Are you drives LW or LC ( I can't find anything that refers to a L3)

What SCSI ID is assigned to the drives you do see?

Any overlap with the jumpers SCSI id's?

The 6 sets of jumper pins closest to the center on the end of the drive should all be NC.

The 4 sets on the outside determine the SCSI address. 0-15 in a binary count.

Are any of the drives jumpered for SE operation (J2 jumper on the drives pg 40)?

Under the drive is the j2 header.

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/scsi/100141982b.pdf

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/scsi/100195486a.pdf

If you have mixed SE and LVD operation, strange things will happen http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285013

One flavor of your drives are ultra 160 the other are ultra 320. Either should work, but maybe the system is having troubles with them mixed?

Try one at a time in the slot that you know is working to see if the others are found during POST.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. problem with Intel Server Chassis SR2300
                  nimar

Finally made some progress. Some huge progress . I've decided to disassemble backplane from chasis to replace it with new. On the ocassion of this operation i've carefully cleaned all the equipment with compressed air. And i think that did the trick. Becouse after some time of searching for new backplane... i did not find that part available to buy in my country... i've assemled all together and it turned out that the discs are easily initiated in each drive bay. Till now it is working fine. Array raid-5 consisting of 4 scsi drives managed to build correctly, and openSuse 11.4 was installed without a problem. I hope that there won't be any more problems with that server. I want to thank you for your posts. They gave me useful hints about hardware which i was working with.