3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2011 8:13 PM by forest

Jobs at Intel for Electronics Engineering Student

forest

I was wondering what jobs could an Electronics Engineering Student get at Intel after graduation from college with an Associates Degree. I was hoping for something like designing circuits for microprocessors.

• 1. Re: Jobs at Intel for Electronics Engineering Student

Respectfully, but you really need a bachelor's Degree, if you are looking for a porfessional job now adays.  Take a look at some of the intel developer forumns and you will see that most of the people in charge of design are not Americans.  They are tops in their fields with PHD's.  Can you get a job?  Maybe.  I don't want to you to be discouraged, but there may be some similar jobs out there.  However, in some advanced fields like processor design, it may take more education and post graduate research.

• 2. Re: Jobs at Intel for Electronics Engineering Student
            Doc_SilverCreek

Forest,

I can't argue with Charles.

Here a a Link to the Intel Jobs page so you can do some scouting around. http://www.intel.com/jobs/?iid=gg_about+intel_jobs

Yes, you can find a job with an Associate Degree at Intel, but I may not be the type of Design Job you  are asking about.

My first advice to every young person is get a BS (or higher) degree before you start into the work force.

The jobs you will find with an associate degree will be technicians, production line and infrastructure positions.

Most of the production is overseas so that limits that avenue quite a bit also.

I know of a few folks who have started at Intel as engineering technicians with Associate Degrees fresh out of school and then finished their BS and moved into engineering positions, but it is very difficult to go that road. Picture all the school work your doing now plus an 8 to 5 job in a field that is so bleeding edge that a lot of what your learning now will only be history course by the time you start working.

I would advise checking out a Intern job http://www.intel.com/jobs/jobsearch/index_rcg.htm since this is one of the main paths to "get in the door" at Intel in the current economy. These jobs can give you a real taste of the company and the rapid changing computer / chip field. The last undergrad intern I worked with decided to become an accountant after a summer as a engineering student intern. (I still feel bad about that, but the job at Intel gave him the opportunity to experience just how fast this industry changes.)  You will also see Intel has a number of Intern jobs for those completing their Masters.

I don't want to discourage you completely. If you get a job at Intel and you are excellent at it, you will have the opportunity (or the requirement) to expand and grow your skills. Intel is very big on individual growth. Once you get in the door, the only limit is you. In the 11 years I have been at Intel, I have done Customer Technical Marketing, Technical writing, Factory Test Development, Hardware Engineering/Debug, and Program Management. I started working in the electromics field with a AA degree, way back when computers were THE new horizon. 18 years after I got that degree that I started working for Intel.  I have had a lot of additional schooling (and some education too)  between then and now, but I will say the thing I most enjoy about Intel, is it is still the frontier. Every day I learn something new and many of the people I work with are some of the most brilliant people I have ever met. 

Good luck to you!

• 3. Re: Jobs at Intel for Electronics Engineering Student
              forest

Thanks anyway.I have being insterested in electronics since i was 10 years and i have learnt alot about processors and other stuff. I can even design and program my own processor. I think i'll get a bachelors degree next or even a Masters.

Also have you guys ever thought of  add multithreading on hardware. i mean letting the hardware self, switch between task.I have done it. My processor can switch between 4 threads at the hardware level without the need for Software interrupts or setting memory addressing modes.It does it for you.