7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2011 1:49 PM by Flying_Kiwi

DH 57 JG no Video,

kbattye

Having a nightmare with this motherboard.

I have installed an i5 650 CPU and bought Kingston Ram.Put them all together and nothing happens apart from the Motherboard power LED lighting and the CPU fan spinning.  No beeps and no video.

I returned the first Board thinking it must be broken and the replacement has the same problem

I know the CPU is fine as I have tried it on another board and all is ok.

Take the Ram off and 3 beeps.  This seems to say the board is posting. Put the Ram chips back one at a time but still no video output.

A suggestion from Intel UK is that the PSU is not big enough at 300W, so I tried a 550W with same problem.

Their other suggestion is the board does not like the Ram. I've tried to buy the suggested tested Ram from the main website but none of the suggested Ram is available from UK suppliers and trying to buy from the States I found all American sites are out of stock.

Another suggestion is that the motherboard only likes 1.5V Ram, my Kingston is 1.65V.  Bought some Samsung 1.5V Ram. no difference.

I have been offered some Skill Ripjaw DDR3 Ram which is compatible with the Intel P55 Chipset.  I have an Intel P57 Chipset on my board, is P55 Ram compatible with P57 so is it more likely to work?

Before I start playing Motherboard Frisbee can anyone help, have they had the same problem and got round it.

Is the problem compatible Ram and if do anyone in the UK know of Ram that will work.

At a complete loss, here's hoping somebody out there can help!

Keith Battye

• 1. Re: DH 57 JG no Video,
          Flying_Kiwi

Depending on the stepping of your CPU you may have to upgrade the BIOS in order to support the CPU. Have a look at this page:  http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dh57jg and click on the multiple values link to see what I mean. Clearly if the version of BIOS is earlier than your CPU requires, you'll need to get it updated some way before installing your CPU - perhaps your supplier or Intel UK will be kind enough to arrange or do that if you don't have an older supported CPU to do it yourself? I wouldn't feel comfortable attempting it even using the recovery method with an unsupported CPU so see what your suppliers/Intel have to say about that.

• 2. Re: DH 57 JG no Video,
            kbattye

Many thanks, I'll look into this.

Trouble is as I can't get any video out of the board, I can't see what Bios version I have. However it's one step forward!

I'll let you know of any outcome.

Meanwhile any more suggestions out there?

Keith

• 3. Re: DH 57 JG no Video,
              Flying_Kiwi

Keith Battye wrote:

Trouble is as I can't get any video out of the board, I can't see what Bios version I have.

Not from the display but have a careful examination of the board and its box. If there's nothing in terms of BIOS revisions displayed (and no stickers on any of the chips giving a clue), if you contact Intel with all the board details (Serial no, aa hardware revision number etc - which should be on the board/box) they should have a record of what BIOS was programmed into the board at the factory. There may even be somewhere on Intels web site you can find this out. I recall others quoting board revisions aa such and such were released with BIOS version nnnnn here in the past so there must be ways to find that out.

If all of your gear is known good hardware thats perfectly serviceable and you've connected it up correctly according to the manual (and double checked), that's about all it can be - I dodn't know what else you're expecting to hear from others here....

• 4. Re: DH 57 JG no Video,
                kbattye

I'm very grateful for all help.

The Motherboard is a replacement and has the same problem as its predecessor. The CPU works, tested in another Motherboard and the Ram is also fine

I've been building computers for 8-9 years and have never had this problem before.

Most posts about this board and problems seem to commonly mention Ram incompatibility. Mostly I assume with the Chipset.

I have been unable to find out much about this from suppliers and frankly Intel support was not very forthcoming.

Is there anyone out there who knows of any hihg quality ddr3 Ram that is compatible with this board and CPu before I buy something else that doesn't work?

Or of any DDR3 Ram that is compatible with the 57 Chipset

Maybe also any other possible answer to the problem.

Keith

• 5. Re: DH 57 JG no Video,
                  Flying_Kiwi

Keith Battye wrote:

I'm very grateful for all help.

The Motherboard is a replacement and has the same problem as its predecessor. The CPU works, tested in another Motherboard and the Ram is also fine

I've been building computers for 8-9 years and have never had this problem before.

Most posts about this board and problems seem to commonly mention Ram incompatibility.

As long as you specified/selected the right memory (correct voltage and timings), I'm sure that won't be it - I assume with your system building experiece you would have checked that. If you're not sure, have a look at the boards manual and find out the specs then get the specs for your memory modules off the manufacturers website and compare them. Some memory manufacturers even have a memory compatibility calculator built in so you just specify the motherboard and it'll work out what modules (of their brand) you can use.

I've worked as a computer technician in the past and have had occasions where BIOS versions have needed to be upgraded to suit a CPU (including my current motherboard - which fortunately still booted but was very unreliable until the BIOS was flashed) and also to suit certain types of memory (eg an RDRAM module I wanted to put into an old P3 board wasn't supported and the board wouldn't even boot until the BIOS was updated). I had to use older RDRAM modules to get it to boot, then flash the BIOS so I could install the new ram.

Since its Easter and the good Intel people in Swindon will mostly be having a day off, if you ring in the morning they'll likely be very busy but I'm sure if you ask them about this BIOS version issue they'll eventually be able to sort you out. I'm surprised if you told them what type of CPU you have, they didn't think to check that out at the time but perhaps you never mentioned the CPU type to them...

• 6. Re: DH 57 JG no Video,
                    kbattye

All is now working I'm pleased to say.

I looked more into the Bios angle and although almost every answer I received when I asked the question was that the Ram was incompatible, including Intel support.

However I searched about again and after reading a few more replies elsewhere including the last one on this conversation, I managed to work out that video output is not required to update the Bios.

Download to a USB memory stick the latest Bios from the Intel site.

Power down the Motherboard and remove the yellow jumper.

Put the memory stick into a USB socket

Power up the Board

Lo and behold info now appears for the first time on a monitor.

Watch the Bios being loaded and when finished switch off the Board.

Remove USB stick

Replace jumper to positions 1 & 2

Switch on Board and now all works.

I hope if anybody has this problem it helps.  The community has been a very helpful resource.

Keith Battye

• 7. Re: DH 57 JG no Video,
                      Flying_Kiwi

Although the recovery BIOS flash method (what you used) doesn't require video, it still uses the CPU so I wasn't sure that'd work correctly without the correct CPU microcode updates etc in the BIOS to start with - glad you've got away with it!