8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2011 5:12 PM by BitFlip

H67 on Zotac H67ITX-C-E RAID5 question

hththt

Hi,

So I am setting up my home server and I elected to go with this board http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-h67itx-c-e-wifi-lga-1155-mini-itx-intel-motherboard.html

It features the H67 chipset with full 4 SATAII and 2 SATAIII ports. I am planning to use these ports as follow:

Port0 (SATAIII): Seagate MomentusXT 500GB 7200rpm hybrid (boot drive)

and there will be a RAID5 which consists of 5 drives:

Port1 (SATAIII): Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s ST2000DL003

Port2 (SATAII): Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s ST2000DL003

Port3 (SATAII): Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s ST2000DL003

Port4 (SATAII): Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s ST2000DL003

Port5 (SATAII): Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s ST2000DL003

so as you can see, I'm planning to run a RAID5 setup on 4 SATAII ports and 1 SATAIII port. Will I be able to do that? Of course I will set all the drives to operate at 3Gb/s for consistency's sake.

I'm leaning toward a "yes, it's possible" answer since these 6 ports are all on the same chipset but I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing

extra info: I'm running Vail (Windows Home Server 2011) which is based off of 2008R2, which has the same core as Win7 on a i7-2600K with 8GB RAM

one of my buddies has the exact same setup and he is in the process of initializing the array. it looks like it works, Intel Storage Manager shows 6 drives with 5 being in a RAID5 pool but I'm still skeptical about this until I get an official answer from one of the Intel techs.

Thanks

• 1. Re: H67 on Zotac H67ITX-C-E RAID5 question
          hththt

anyone can help me with this please...

I have run out of space in my old home server and am desperately in need of this up and running

thanks

• 2. Re: H67 on Zotac H67ITX-C-E RAID5 question
            millersh

I have spanned SATAII and SATAIII disks in a RAID volume on my H67 chipset and have not had issues (used RST 10.1).

This is possible.

• 3. Re: H67 on Zotac H67ITX-C-E RAID5 question
              hththt

Thanks, millersh

It appeared to be working fine. I don't know whether I will encounter erratic errors down the road or not. We'll see.

• 4. Re: H67 on Zotac H67ITX-C-E RAID5 question
                hththt

anyone else has any insight?

• 5. Re: H67 on Zotac H67ITX-C-E RAID5 question

Ive done this too on the same board, but i cant seem to work out how to be able to boot or install windows on it (6disk Raid5)

weird

• 6. Re: H67 on Zotac H67ITX-C-E RAID5 question

CPU

Intel Core i7 2600K LGA 1155

Motherboard

Zotac H67ITX-C-E

RAM

Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Case

Fractal Designs Array R2 w/ PSU

Hard Disk

Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARX

Control

Skymaster Mini Wireless Keyboard Mouse Presenter Combo

mPCIe SSD

Super Talent 64GB CoreStore MV - SR64C8MME

Things I knew:

K series CPUs can be over-clocked

The board doesn’t support it

WD EAR drives can be a bitch to align.

I want to reuse these parts in the future for different builds

Things I learned:

Cant boot into a volume larger than 2 TB

Onboard Mini PCIe slot actually supports booting from a true Mini PCIe Solid state drive

Zotac Bios make no sense

Configuration:

6 2TB Drives connected to the motherboard configured in RAID5 single volume spanned across SATA 2/3 ports. works ok, been initialising the volume since Sunday night its now 60% on Tuesday morning.

Write Back Caching Turned ON - 130MB\s Sustained RAID 5 write under Windows 7 (3 x 100GB Files)

Write Back Caching Turned OFF - 25MB\s Sustained RAID5 write under Windows 7 (3 x 100GB Files)

• 7. Re: H67 on Zotac H67ITX-C-E RAID5 question
                      millersh

It is possible to boot to a RAID volume >2TB.

You will need the RST 10.5 OROM and the RST 10.5 Driver.

Unfortunately, the RST 10.5 OROM is integrated into the BIOS.

What version of the RST OROM do you have in your BIOS?  (hit ctrl+i during boot)

• 8. Re: H67 on Zotac H67ITX-C-E RAID5 question
                        BitFlip

Hi all,

I'm glad I've found this thread since I started to believe it wouldn't be possible to get my system running in RAID mode.

As you people have obviously figured out how to get the Zotac board running in RAID mode, would you please advise me how to get Windows Home Server 2011 installed. I'm lost here.

I try to use a dedicated SSD on SATA port 1 as system drive plus 4 SATA HDDs in a RAID 5 array on ports 3-6.

I've tried an unattended setup of WHS 2011 using the setup DVD and a USB stick with a setup config file and a drivers directory, which is referenced in the config file. As I can see in the setup log file, drivers in the drivers directory are being installed during the first part of the setup. Although I'm not sure at the moment whether the Intel RAID driver is being installed. Anyway - after rebooting the system doesn't start from the SSD. The error message states that the boot loader cannot be found.

Can anyone please advise me how to set boot options in the UEFI to make it start from the SSD and finally get my urgently awaited home server running?

Thanks in advance!