1 2 3 5 Previous Next 60 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2012 9:16 PM by tjg79 RSS

Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670

ymir Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

just recently bought a Intel DX58SO2 for Development + Virtualization. - Reason: Xeon, ECC, 24GB, Sata3 + USB3 Support on board

So far everything seems to work exept:

ECC is either not detected (and not working) or doesn't show up.

- no ECC settings or info in BIOS

- no ECC info in CPU-Z 1.57 (no error correction info is display in SPD info tab)

help appreciated

BR

System Configuration Info:

MB:

DX58SO2, Bios Version 0779 - SOX5820J.86A.0779.2011.0406.1511

CPU:

Xeon W3670

MEM:

24GB PC3-10600 CL9 ECC 240 unbuffered, 6 x KVR133D3E9S/4G (bought as 3x 6xKVR133D3E9SK2/8G kits),

Case:

Lian-Li B25

FANS:

3 x Enermax TB Silence 120mm UCTB12P PWM (2x in/front, 1x out/rear)

CPU Cooler:

Noctua NH-D14

PWS:

SeaSonic X-750

GPU:

1 x Sapphire HD 5850 / 2GB

HDD/SSD:

1x Extrememory XLR8 Plus SSD 120GB (SandForce SF-1200)

1x Intel X25-E 32GB SSD

• 1. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    toad096 Community Member

Hi Ymir,

Sorry I can't help you, since I don't have an ECC setup. But please post the solution, when you find it.

I'm definately interested in moving into ECC ram. The DX58SO2 is even supposed to support upto 48GB ram, but I couldn't (yet) find the right 8GB DIMMs with ECC.

Thanks.

Toad  

• 2. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670

I just got done discovering that Crucial 8GB 1066 ECC DIMMs won't work with the W3690.  I get the "three beep on post" error with blinking LEDs despite having the most recent BIOS, etc...  I popped in 3x2GB 1333GHz non-ECC and no problems.  Tomorrow I will try a 4GB ECC DIMM to see what happens.

Now, I just bought four of these boards b/c they support (or claim to) both 48GB RAM and SLI.  If someone knows the magic 8GB DIMM that will work with a W3690, I'll send you a free one after I confirm it works.

• 3. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    toad096 Community Member

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your kind offer! I look forward to the outcome.

How do check that ECC is enabled? Reading Ymir's post, it seems that your 4GB ECC DIMMs might work, but without really knowing if ECC is working.

• 4. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    toad096 Community Member

Bryan,

Check out the specs of the W3690 here:  http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52586

It says "Max memory Size 24GB".

Now I am confused!

• 5. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    ymir Community Member

Hi everybody,

thank's for joining the discussion .

Just some further thoughs on the problem:

a) the board is so far stable (did some testing and benchmarking)

b) 24 GB memory is detected in both bios and win 7 (actually I'm using windows 7 x64 enterprise + sp1 + fixes up 14. April)

c) ECC seems not to be activated/dectected - although, the Kingston website shows the board as "supported" for the memory

d) I would suggest that "supported" on both Intel and Kingston specs indicate "works as expected" and not "the board do not crash - but you don't get ECC functionality"

also some additional comments on "Bryan" and "toad096" on ECC memory size:

a) so far as I understand and found in various MB (Intel, ASUS, Supermicro, ... ) specs - only "unbuffered ECC" is supported on all X58 boards/chipsets

b) any ECC memory simm module above 4GB I kown is "registered ECC" and so won't work

c) I also have read in some specs for the DX58SO2 about 48GB MEM support - but regarding such atypical and mysterious specs in other products in the past I would assume this might refer to "unavailable" unbufferer MEM (ECC or nonECC) with 8GB size (maybe this MEM is available in the future)

d) I think the W3690 may also work in (some) MB with the i55xx chipset and support in this scenario "registered ECC with more than 4GB per memory module" - but I don't know any i55xx chipset MB with only one CPU socked so far...

• 6. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    ymir Community Member

just an update....

talking with the support people from Intel - ECC with the Kingston memory should work fine - they are looking into the case - I should get some news tomorrow

• 7. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    toad096 Community Member

That's excellent news, can't wait til tomorrow.....

• 8. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    toad096 Community Member

Ymir,

Any update?

• 9. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    ymir Community Member

Hi toad096, hi everybody,

just an update of recent events:

After getting in touch with Intel I also contacted the Kingston support (since I guessed it could also be a MEM / SPD problem).

Working with Intel support is a little bit challenging - first, their system identification utility from their support web site didn't work as expeced and retrieved no mem infos at all, then the results couldn't be downloaded or retrieved to/from their servers and even sending all info per email turned out as an unexpected timly consuming tryout (I had to contact the support line three times to get the appropriate email address ). So far no progress there - hopping to be contacted by them in the next future...

On the other hand - I got a response from Kingston's support team quite fast. Since I also forwarded them in my support request all data (including the retrieved MEM SPD data dumps from the CPU-Z txt report) they requested only some digital images of the currently used memory modules and offered a free replacement (of an alternative revision! of the MEM) incl. shippment (the only little drawback is - I have to cover the RMA shipment costs of the problematic MEM back to Kingston). Their statement "It seems that the product is either not compatible or defective and you should get it replaced for an alternative revision for your memory" indicates to me - they are also not entirely sure what the cause of the problem is.

The only thing that strikes me is Kingston's comment - replacement can basically only be done by them - since my / any? dealer will not be able to provide an alternative revision of the memory. So if the revision is really causing the problem and a dealer cannot provide it - how to buy or even identfy an appropriate revision of the memory?

So I'll keep everybody updated as soon as things progress...

BR

• 10. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    toad096 Community Member

Hi Ymir,

Thanks for the update. I hope it works out. Please let us know the results.

For me ECC ram will become a must as the amount of ram in my system increases. I am hoping socket 2011 will support 8 x 8GB=64GB ram, to be seen!

• 11. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    ymir Community Member

Hi, everyone

received today feedback from Intel - The Joke Of The Day

Original quote:

"Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

Please note that you can use your motherboard DX58SO2 with ECC memory but the ECC functionality would not work on this motherboard.

Some system would not allow you to use ECC memory at all which is not the case of this motherboard.

If your system does not even work when using with ECC memory please, verify if your memory fulfil all the motherboard's memory requirements which you can find at: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dx58so2/sb/CS-031872.htm"

Unbelievable, it's really "the board do not crash - but you don't get ECC functionality" - so don't consider Intel (Extreme) boards with Xeon CPU if you wan't use ECC today or tomorrow.

Will return the board to the dealer...

best regards

ymir

• 12. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    toad096 Community Member

Ymir,

That's quite funny! Pity it didn't work out. It's misleading of Intel to specify ECC support for this board. I was hoping a cheap workstation could be built around this board. But I guess we are forced to use workstation class motherboards with 5xxx series chipset to get true ECC support.

• 13. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    ymir Community Member

Hi toad096,

now I have forwarded some questions to ASUS and ASRock, both providing "Workstation Class" X58 boards. Looking forward to get feed-back from them. There's also the Supermicro C7X58 (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core2Duo/X58/C7X58.cfm) & X8SAX (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/X58/X8SAX.cfm) but I'm not so happy about the board layout (Intel workstation layout - so different cooling concept / airflow + doesn't work together with the Noctua NH-D14) - but to my knowledge should be fully supporting ECC - to be verified - if ASUS or ASRock also do not comply...

• 14. Re: Support required: DX58SO2 doesn't detect ECC with Xeon W3670
    toad096 Community Member

Hi Ymir,

Supermicro X58 boards might work, but I guess you will really have to do your home-work before purchasing.

Me, I am going to wait until socket 2011 boards come out towards end of this year. They look really promising, especially if they manage to fit 8 DIMMs on a ATX sized board, to be seen. Also I hope that 8GB ECC unbuffered DIMMs become available at that time. I am trying to create a superfast vmware workstation with something like Romex FancyCache and SSDs for software development.

Take care.

1 2 3 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...