Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

notebook CPU upgrade

ALasz
Beginner

Hi,

If a notebook installed with a PGA988 socket CPU is it possible that this motherboard does not support a same category but faster CPU? I mean if the factory installed CPU is i7-720QM is it possible that it will not work with i7-840QM? The only difference is the speed according to the compare chart at http://www.intel.com/ www.intel.com. And for the Extreme Editions the difference is the "Max TDP" 55W vs. 45W from the "normal" edition. And of course the Bus/Core Ratio witch I don't know what the hell could be.

I'm researching this because I have to upgrade four notebooks – 1 Acer Aspire 8942G, 1 Dell Studio XPS 1647, and 2 Sony VAIO VPF13Z1E – and I really do not want my customer to pay nearly $4000 for nothing. Do anyone had the same kind of problem to solve?

2 Replies
idata
Employee

as long as its of the SAME socket type u can put almost whatever u want in there from the clarksfield processors. i personally will be steping up my 740q to a 940xm.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Does the BIOS In any of these laptops allow for any overclocking, If not this would be a waste of $$ because you are only going to see marginal gains in performance.

0 Kudos