2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2011 9:03 AM by W.G.

Kernel Power/Event ID 41 crashes -- Intel HD Graphics at the root of the problem

W.G.

Several months ago, I built a home desktop computer using a Core i3-540 CPU and a DH57DD motherboard.  I'm finally getting around to looking for solutions to some "glitches" that I've encountered, the most serious being that under Windows 7 (64-bit) the computer will crash (and then reboot) randomly with a "Kernel Power Event ID 41" error.

I realize that this problem is difficult to diagnose, unless, perhaps, you have specialized diagnostic software/hardware to pinpoint the  problem. In this particular case I’m all-but certain that the fault  lies with a hardware defect in the graphics subsystem of my  CPU/motherboard, because

• I'm using the integrated graphics hardware instead of an external graphics card.
      • The  system only crashes after I install Intel’s Graphics Media Accelerator  driver(s).  If I don't install the driver then it runs for many hours each day for days on end without crashing,  while it often crashes with 30 minutes after I install the driver.
      • When running Ubuntu Linux (64-bit) the computer runs 24/7 for days on end.
      • The   computer doesn’t crash if I keep the CPU very cool: below 25 C -- or   make sure it’s warm: above 35 C, roughly speaking.  I’m using Intel Desktop Utilities (http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/idu/) to measure those temperatures.
      • My computer  does not support anisotropic filtering even though it should,  as reported by a respondent to another discussion that I’d started.  (http://communities.intel.com/message/120049#).
      • I’ve  run many hours (over 24 hours) of memory diagnostics with no  problem reported.  I’ve swapped memory modules in and out without affecting the problem.

For these reasons I believe that the motherboard or the CPU is bad, but  before I try an RMA I’d like to know which  is bad.  Does anyone have suggestions as to which of the two is more likely to be defective, or have advice on how to pin the problem down  further?

Here’s  some information about my system:  I’m  using a Core i3-540 CPU and a  DH57DD motherboard, BIOS version JGIBX10J.86A.0625.2010.1219.2132; the  power supply is a 450-watt Corsair CMPSU-450VX; and the memory is 8GB  (4x2GB) of Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9/2G.  As I said above, the  problem only occurs when I’m running Windows 7 (64-bit) with the  Graphics Media Accelerator driver installed.  The Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel reports, in part:

Intel® HD Graphics (Core i3)

Report Date:            4/11/2011

Report Time[hr:mm:ss]:        19:12:11

Driver Version:            8.15.10.2291

Operating System:        Windows 7  Service Pack 1(6.1.7601)

Default Language:        English (United States)

DirectX* Version:        10.1

Physical Memory:        7990 MB

Minimum Graphics Memory:    32 MB

Maximum Graphics Memory:    1696 MB

Graphics Memory in Use:        69 MB

Processor:            Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2

Processor Speed:        3066 MHz

Vendor ID:            8086

Device ID:            0042

Device Revision:        12

*   Accelerator Information   *

Accelerator in Use:        Intel(R) HD Graphics