4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 1:58 PM by Doc_SilverCreek

S5500BC, Dual Xeon E5506 Unresponsive

I have been trying to wrap my head around this problem for a while now. I have a S5500BC board with dual Xeon E5506 and 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (throttled down to DDR3-800 due to the E5506 settings). The machine is running Windows Server 2008 R2 with the most recent drivers from the site for the MoBo (Firmware, Chipset, etc) on a WD Caviar Green 1TB HDD (Native IDE). The problem I have is the machine becomes unresponsive very frequently. For example, just now I was installing the VC++ 2008 Redist and tried to eject my flash drive while the install was going. The mounted device icon in the taskbar was completely unresponsive, and when I tried to go through My Computer to eject, every window I opened (Start menu, my computer, right click on device) froze the screen for a few to > 30 seconds. This happens randomly during normal use as well, for instance switching between windows, and sometimes seems almost cyclical with time. Sometimes these hangs last for more than 1 minute.

I have run Memtest on all the RAM (individual DIMMs and as a group), it passed. I have also run checkdisk on the HDD, it passed. One really strange thing is when I ran Prime95 with 4 worker threads so all 8 cores floated around 100% usage, the computer seemed to become more responsive, the hangs seemed to last for shorter periods of time, and there seemed to be less of them. I may have been running it during one of the intervals where the machine wants to run properly though. I have even tried running Windows 7 on it for a while (I didn't have much hope, but it was the only other 64bit OS I had access to), this didn't resolve the problem either.

I am at my witts end. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.