6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2011 1:18 PM by findfast

System SR2520ALLXR SAS Controller 1068 not support 3Tb HDD

findfast

Hi,

Used a lot of time to get working my system SR2520ALLXR with new 3Tb HDD WD  WD30EZRS.

In a past this server had 6 SAS HDD 300GB, but now it is good for video recording purposes.

But even Windows 7/64bit and Linux OS doesn't see full 3Tb... only

2048.00GB with Linux (GPT)

2047.88GB with Win 7/64bit

integrated controller for SAS backplane LSI 1068 support only 1.5Gb SATA 1and limit 2048Gb.

No other chance to get off this limit.

Browsing over here, guess need to wait for updated firmware for system and controller.

Now BIOS  101;68;48

Raid FW     1.12.280-0826

somebody had such deal with 3Tb drives on integrated controllers Intel's servers ?

Install other controller not fair because no connections on backplane.

• 1. Re: System SR2520ALLXR SAS Controller 1068 not support 3Tb HDD
          Dan_O

Did you mean the SR2500ALLXR, or the SR2520SAXR?  Similar names, but different tested hardware lists, I think.  The former is

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-022920.htm

and the latter at

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5000vsa/sb/CS-022697.htm

• 2. Re: System SR2520ALLXR SAS Controller 1068 not support 3Tb HDD
            findfast

Yes, I mean SR2500ALLXR. Sure.

Guess nobody else at this moment had not faced with task to use 3Tb HDD in this SR2500ALLXR  and  S5000PAL  + this included controller "LSI" 1068.

Maybe after couple of time there will be more noise about supporting old system new HDD.

yes?

• 3. Re: System SR2520ALLXR SAS Controller 1068 not support 3Tb HDD
              Dan_O

It would be very suprising, if there were.  In the meantime, there are 2TB drives on the tested list, that I see -

Western Digital WD2002FYPS

Western Digital WD2003FYYS

Seagate ST32000644NS

Hitachi HUA722020ALA330

• 4. Re: System SR2520ALLXR SAS Controller 1068 not support 3Tb HDD

We have the same problem that the onboard hardware RAID controller SROMSAS18E on the s5000pal motherboard
                only recognizes 2 TB out of our Hitachi 3TB disk.

Can anybody from Intel reading this report from how to overcome this?

Hard to imagine that such an expensive hardware where one pays an extra premuium to have the Intel label on it
                only supports 2TB but not 3TB disks.

Should be only a simple firmware upgrade, or not?

So far we bought only intel servers for the last 10 years, but based on this experience I will consider other vendors too now
                based on "get the the same trouble for half price".

I'm fairly disappointed that Intel support is not keen enough to update their support website with information on this.
                Its pretty much clear that customers will jump to 3TB disk because they are so cheap. So, they should at least tell
                on their website if 3TB disks are supported or not.

That would safe the rest of the world a lot of time spent on guessing and trying.

I had to pay my  System Admin already a big bill just to upgrade the system in the hope he gets the 3TB capacity online.

• 5. Re: System SR2520ALLXR SAS Controller 1068 not support 3Tb HDD
                  findfast

Sure the ptoblem with new firmware for SROMSAS18E and whole system SR2500ALLXR.

I thought that last firmware from end of 2010 will have update for support 3Tb HDD but is not true. So still waiting from Intel some information.

I just used 6th disk in connection with onboard sata port and it was good. 3Tb HDD was detected well in the system and OS.

But there are no chances to connect all 6 drives to onboard sata ports.... no connectors. Only for 6th drive it is possible.

Maybe it is possible to change totally backplane to be possible to connect all 6 drives with sata connectors ?

P.S. but anyway it is better to update firmware of this controller. As I see original LSI controller 1068 now support 3Tb drives (large then 2Tb)

But we need to wait for Intel update.

• 6. Re: System SR2520ALLXR SAS Controller 1068 not support 3Tb HDD
                    findfast

Just found similar topic and reply:

http://communities.intel.com/message/121848#121848

---------------------------------------------

The SRCSASPH16I uses the LSI Logic* SAS 1068 eight-port controller. The  LSI 1068 has a hardware limitation at 2TB, there is no way around it.  The 1078 or 2108 ROC chips or 2008 SAS chip will support disk capacities  well above 2TB.

---------------------------------------------

so it mean that no chance for this LSI 1068 to handle with 3Tb drives ?

In this case what is the option to use backplane without active midplane just to keep going with this server + some rational RAID card?