Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Hot spare disk problem on SRCSASRB

idata
Employee

Hello people this is my first post here so im sorry if im not introducing myself properly or anything.

To make a long story short i woke up this morning by a frightening beeping sound from my server room (walking closet).

I fired up the webconsole 2 and found that one of my disk with "ID 1" had for some reason gone offline and my dedicated hotspare had taken over.

So that all good very nice. and phew..

Although now i have checked the disk that went offline, (probably just for a second) and it is ok. so i want to make that disk an hotspare. but i cant find out how to do that? I have read the manual and it says that i should have an tab that is called "Operations Tab" wich i cannot find anywhere and i think the manual is outdated as i am using the latest firmware and web console version (eg: 11.0.1-0036 / 9.00.0000 )

this is how the screen looked just when i started the webconsole first time and found it beeping.

As you can see the hot spare disk is rebuillding itself into position and the disk in "slot 1" has placed itself outside the array.

here is the picture of the "Physical" tab when the old hotspare has placed itself into the array as a normal drive and the "Slot 1" disk is unconfigured.

and here is a picture from the "Logical" tab.

So. how can i make the unconfigured drive an "dedicated hot spare" without redoing the whole array.?

thank you for any inputs.

Best regards.

/Rickard
4 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

First of all I'd recommend you replace the hard drive, because if it went offline once, it will quite possibly fail again, maybe just due to a few bad blocks on it, and if that happens during a rebuild, it causes data loss.

Anyway if you want to take the risk, RWC2 wouldn't allow you mark it as a hot spare because there is still RAID configuration information on the disk, and that's now identified as foreign RAID configuration. I don't have a RAID card right beside me, so I can't tell you the exact steps, but the idea would be clearing the foreigh configuration first, and then make it hot spare.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK thank you very much for the answer.bought a new disk today and inserted it as a hotspare and everything worked out perfectly.

Although i have another question.

when i select one or any of the disk in the left panel in RWC2 i get an error msg in the log panel on the bottom.

I have tried to find information about this but cant seem to find any that really tells me what it really means.

LOCALIZED MESSAGE = Controller ID: 0 Unexpected sense: PD = --:--:4 - Invalid field in CDB, CDB = 0x4d 0x00 0x4d 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x20 0x00 , Sense = 0x70 0x00 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x24 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00

I get this error msg when i click on any of my disks in the array? And i think i actually have always gotten it, but havent really agnoliged it untill now.

Thank you.

/Rickard

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Knocked my socks off with konwledge!

0 Kudos