1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 9:06 PM by kusamba

DG45ID USB Issues

kusamba

Hi guys...  I am back.  My DG45ID contiunues to give me fits.  This time it is USB.  I had the USB Mouse and Keyboard plugged in the USB ports in the back for months.  These ports suddenly stopped working.  Now I have them plugged into USB ports on the front of my machine and they work.

I bought a PCI card with 4 external USB ports - plug an play they said - but it also does not work.  Via VT6212 chip which should be fine for my Windows 7 64 bit system.

``Windows has stopped this device because it reported problems´´ is the error on both  VIA USB Host Controllers.  I tried rebooting, then uninstalling and rebooting followed by reinstalling and booting.

Incidently, this is the same message I was getting with the onboard USB ports.

I guess I will need to replace this board but maybe someone recognizes this problem and has a fix???  thanks!

• 1. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
          Flying_Kiwi

How do you know it's not a problem with your mouse/keyboard hub. I had a mouse keyboard hub fail and take out a chipset (and consequently a whole motherboard) once - not a DG45ID but it was an Intel chipset based board. What mouse and keyboard are you using? If you're going to buy an add-on PCI to USB adapter, VIA is the last brand I'd go for with NEC being preferred. It may cost slightly more but you get what you pay for with these. I once rectified USB problems on a VIA chipset based motherboard by installing an NEC chipset based USB adapter card and kept the still working VIA USB ports just for 'light duties' with little current draw and little bandwidth demands. It would be worth checking to ensure an up to date BIOS version is installed on the board and that the latest Intel chipset drivers are also installed.

• 2. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
            parsec

kusamba,  Good to hear from you, but sorry you are having problems.  It's curious your add-on USB card is also having problems, and that may be a clue to what the problem is.

USB ports provide power to the device they are connected to, 5 volts and 0.5 amp of current maximum for each port.  Keyboards and mice don't use much power (current), since wireless versions run from battery power, so the power draw should not be a problem.  But as Kiwi mentioned, a bad keyboard or mouse that caused a short circuit in the power line of the USB port could cause damage to the mother board, and potentially the USB controller of course.  Some mother boards have tiny non-replaceable fuses in the USB power lines to protect the board but once they are "blown", the ports are worthless.  I don't know if this board has fused USB power.

Your add-on USB card would draw power from the PCI slot for the USB ports, and it seems to much of a coincidence that it is failing, and seemingly right away, or did it work for a while?  Although I don't doubt Kiwi's statement, the VIA controllers are very common and I've never had problems with them.  So I'm wondering if you are having a problem with the 5 Volt rail of your power supply.  Can you check what your 5V power reading is in the BIOS or by a hardware monitoring program?

I'm wondering if the otherwise wonderful environment you live in is causing problems, high humidity and salty air from the beach.  The salt thing is a stretch of course, but I've heard of weird electrical things from people that live on the ocean in Florida, so ya never know.

So your keyboard and mouse still work fine.  The ports on the rear won't work at all, say with a USB flash drive?

Kiwi, are there mulitple USB controllers on this board?  If not, then it would seem that is not what has gone bad on the board.

Sorry I don't have a fix for you but I'll think about it, good luck with that.

• 3. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
              kusamba

Hi Flying_Kiwi and parsec.  Thanks, as always, for your expertise and advice.

I am using a Microsoft wired comfort optical mouse 3000 and a Microsoft wired keyboard 200 - both USB as there are no ps2 ports on this board.  I have tried other mice and keyboards - all respond the same.

The device manager status image is included below.  There are 6 USB ports in the back.  I just tried the keyboard in each -- none work,  However there is a 10 LED USB desktop lamp plugged in back there and it lights up just fine.  The keyboard and mouse are plugged into the front USB ports.  Both are functioning normally at this moment.  I have had no issues with the keyboard but intermittently, the mouse acts very strange.  for example, I can double click to open a window but then cannot go any farther.  When I left click on the window, it actually loses focus.  I cannot click on anything - right or left click - cannot close, minimize, nada!  At the same time, using alt-tab to get back to the desktop, the mouse acts on its own as if I had right clicked on the desktop - brings up the display menu.  Last night it was all messed up and we went out for several hours - when we retured, it worked fine, and still does.

When I installed the DG45ID, I also added a couple of BullFrog Rust Blocker Strips to the inside of the computer case.  This has kept everyting inside looking like new.  I did reseat the new PCI card several times in case it was corroded / dirty.

I don´t know that it is not a problem with my mouse/keyboard hub - I don´t even know what part the hub is - hardware, software???

The Via chip uses the standard windows drivers - I did try to update the drivers, but Windows says they are current.  Regarding my DG45ID, I use the Intel Driver Update Utility and everthing is up to date on the DG45ID as well.

The cost of this card is pretty insignificant - R$18 or about USD$10 - I´ll try to find one with a NEC chip.

Power - Intel Desktop Utilities reports 12.320, 5.036, 3.363, 1.128, and 1.123

The new PCI card did not work - ever - got the usual Windows `did not install correctly´ message.

I inserted a Pen Drive in the back 6 ports.  The light came on in the top 4 ports, dark in the bottom 2 ports.  It was not readable in any of the 6 ports.

That should answer all of the questions asked.  Let em know if you have others.  Again, all help is appreciated = thanks!

By the way, if you remember, I had a video problem for months (onboard video).  I borrowed a video card, put it in and the problems went away.  Here´s the kicker.... I took the card out, and the problems have not returned (3 months OK).  I din not change anything in the BIOS.

Another current problem.... this machine goes to sleep normally (has always worked OK) but for the past 2 weeks, it will not wake up the video when I hit escape (or any key).  This requires me to power off and boot the machine.  So power management is `OFF´right now.  I should have done an RMA at the first sign of problems with this motherboard 6 months ago, but.....

USB errors.jpg

• 4. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
                Curious592

The first thing I do when mouse symptoms appear is to replace the mouse and place it in my meece box.  I've never found any reason to restore one.  Some only last a couple years (some time after the soft disappears from Microsoft).  The scroll wheel lifetime is the shortest.  It may be that the bad mouse is messing up the USB logic.

• 5. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
                  Flying_Kiwi

kusamba wrote:

I don´t know that it is not a problem with my mouse/keyboard hub - I don´t even know what part the hub is - hardware, software???

The Via chip uses the standard windows drivers - I did try to update the drivers, but Windows says they are current.  Regarding my DG45ID, I use the Intel Driver Update Utility and everthing is up to date on the DG45ID as well.

The cost of this card is pretty insignificant - R$18 or about USD$10 - I´ll try to find one with a NEC chip.

Power - Intel Desktop Utilities reports 12.320, 5.036, 3.363, 1.128, and 1.123

The new PCI card did not work - ever - got the usual Windows `did not install correctly´ message.

I inserted a Pen Drive in the back 6 ports.  The light came on in the top 4 ports, dark in the bottom 2 ports.  It was not readable in any of the 6 ports.

That should answer all of the questions asked.  Let em know if you have others.  Again, all help is appreciated = thanks!

By the way, if you remember, I had a video problem for months (onboard video).  I borrowed a video card, put it in and the problems went away.  Here´s the kicker.... I took the card out, and the problems have not returned (3 months OK).  I din not change anything in the BIOS.

Another current problem.... this machine goes to sleep normally (has always worked OK) but for the past 2 weeks, it will not wake up the video when I hit escape (or any key).  This requires me to power off and boot the machine.  So power management is `OFF´right now.  I should have done an RMA at the first sign of problems with this motherboard 6 months ago, but.....

Thanks for the detailed follow-up and screen shot. They're all the same entries I have for my DG45ID (but without any yellow exclamation marks). You PSU rail voltages look perfectly fine and as long as they're not fluctuating much (you can view this on IDU hardware monitoring pane with all the little gauges), I don't think it's PSU related (although it would pay to monitor these voltages whilst changing USB loadings eg plugging in/unplugging a pen drive or other USB device). The Bullfrog rust blocker strips are a worry for me, not because you may have rusty bullfrogs in your region but because many cases have little roon between the case structure and the tracers on the motherboard/PCB. If you've attached ANYTHING that may be contacting the motherboard other than the stays that it's attached to (only installed where retaining holes are located), then remove the offending attachments.

The Mouse/Keyboard hub I referred to, in my case is also a Bluetooth hub - hence I used that term, but for your devices perhaps a wireless transciever is more appropriate - it's the bit of hardware that you plug into the computer that the mouse and keyboard communicate through.

If you've already bought the VIA card and can't return or exchange it, then I wouldn't go rushing out to buy an additional NEC chipped one as I don't think even that would resolve the issue. It appears to me that your motherboard is having an issue with resource sharing - perhaps allocating IRQs or DMAs etc. Certainly if you have anything of value which isn't backed up - do so now!

I wouldn't worry about the power light coming on with the Pendrive but the rest not working - different connector pins work different ways for power and data transfer.

Before heading down the RMA path, if you've checked for accidental motherboard contact (with any material, not just metals) as above, it'd be worth re-installing Windows from scratch just to rule out a software error - although I doubt thats the issue. If this gets the same results then RMA away!

• 6. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
                    parsec

OMGosh, why didn't I think of this before... sorry, this is not a fix but might be helpful to you, I hope.

You mentioned your front panel USB ports were still working, which of course are connected to a USB header on your DG45ID.  Well, this board has three USB headers/connectors on it, each providing (at least) two USB 2.0 connections.  You're using one now for your case's front panel USB connectors.  I am also using but one of those with the case my DG45ID lives in, as it only has two front panel USB connections.  All you need is an interface panel with the correct cable and connector... which are not as common as I'd hoped.  Here are a few examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813999356

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817196081

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820162024&cm_re=io_panel-_-20-162-024-_-Product

These panels fit in the 5.25" optical drive bays, so may not be what you prefer.  I have seen USB connectors mounted on PCI card slot brackets that fit on the back of a case, with the correct wiring and connector.  Gigabyte has them as accessories to their mother boards, and I just can't find them at my usual E-tailers.  Either of these would provide more USB connections.  Yes I know the availability of these things is poor where you live, but at least you know what you need that you can't get. 

Granted, you are having some problems with your USB connectivity, as can be seen from the picture you posted of your Device Manager listing.  Notice out of the many available connections, "only" four are yellow-flagged as bad.  My point is it looks like there are plenty of good ones remaining.  You could easily test if the USB connectivity is working from the other mother board headers, just move the cable from one to another.  They are on the very bottom of the board and labeled from left to right, FP USB2, FP USB3, FP USB1.  Shut off and unplug the PC first, of course.

It's curious that you are seeing problems with ports on the Intel ICH10 chip, and the VIA chip, that has me wondering what the heck is going on.  If some of the problem is actually with the ICH10 chip, the I/O Control Hub, or Southbridge, that is scary, since that chip provides your SATA interface among other important things.  If that chip expired, the board is history.  I really doubt that is the problem, at least with the Intel chip, regardless that looks pretty weird to me.  What does it say if you click on the yellow-flagged entries?

And... those USB light-things scare me, if it is a really cheapo one (like I have) I'd not use it much and unplug it when you don't need it.

• 7. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
                      kusamba

Curious592 - thanks....  I agree, I bought 6 of these Microsoft 3000 mice just for that reason.  I tried 3 of them with the same results.  I did resolve the

intermittent mouse prolems though.  The 3000 comes with some software - I reloaded the software, set it to `factory defaults´, and all is well.

Flying_Kiwi - thanks again...  the voltages seem to hold steady but I probably wouldn´t see it if there was a spike.  Introducing a pen drive, mouse, or keyboard does not cause the readings to change.  My rust blocker strip do not touch anything - they attach to the inside fo the case - I have them positioned on the wall opposite the motherboard. 

Reinstalling Windows from scratch???  `From scratch´ implies losing all data, etc.  Might as well change out the motherboard if I am going to do that.  Or did you mean reload as in repair mode?  Or another method I am not thinking of?

parsec - thanks again.... interesting as your recommendation leads me full circle to the original DG45ID question I posted here.  I like the Silverstone unit since it has 4 USB posts.  However it requires a 4 inch bay in the front but I can live with that - I will remove my HP Pocket Media Drive Bay.  Of course, i don´t want these 4 ports in the front - much prefer the rear - but I can live with that as well.  However this unit comes with 4 separate USB cables ending in standard 1x4-pin plug, plus 1 pin for shield.  The motherboad connection has but 9 pins - seems I need 10.  And can I plug two 4 or 5 pin USB plugs into one 9 pin connection????

For all - an update - the yellow explanation points come and go on their own. But I can also make them go away by disabling, then enabling the controller with this yellow explanation mark.   When they are gone, Windows reports that the device is functioning properly.  But it is not (necessarily).  I have had the 4 upper ports in the back work with a pen drive (light shines and the pen drive is read/writable) at times.  Right now, both Via controllers show as functioning properly but they do not work at all - not with PenDrive, mouse, or keyboard.  They will light my desk lamp though.

Other outstanding problems with the DG45ID...... 1)  I cannot allow the machine to sleep.  After the machine sleeps, I hit `esc´ to bring it back to life but only the computer responds - the video never returns.  A hard shutdown (power off) is required.  2)  Heat is still an issue but I have a new CPU cooler coming soon.  3)  Memory - I have 4 memory sticks.  I have gotten 2 memory slots to work (Channel A, DIMM 0 and Channel B, DIMM 0) but have never been able to use my other 2 memory sticks (in Channel A. DIMM 1 and Channel B, DIMM 1).  All 4 memory sticks have worked at one time or another in the DIMM 0 slots so the issue is not bad memory sticks.  I ran MEMTEST86+ against each of them.

If I was in the USA, I probably would have dumped this board long ago.  But here in Brasil, it is a logistical challenge to buy new parts, let alone do a warranty exchange.  I could buy a new board for about USD$250 - 2 1/2 times its value - but I am too thrifty for that (retired, no income!)

Thanks to all in advance for any new thoughts.  tchau!

• 8. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
                        mprintz

I know what you are going through. I am having similar issues with my DQ965GF. I will be actively watching your page in hopes that you get your USB issue solved.

• 9. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
                          Curious592

Afraid your wasting your time if you do not back up your data and do a clean install.  I've had mixed results with repair option but if you have a lot of personal settings established it could be worthwhile.  The exclamation behavior strongly suggests your registry is messed up.  You could track it down but I don't know offhand where all the settings are listed and you need to find them all!  My last problem may have been due to a virus and although some very helpful sites are available I didn't go that route.  The install would be much preferable to using front USB ports.  I only use that for a thumb drive and even that concerns me with the orientation.   The best option short of clean install is to do a system restore but it sounds like this problem is too old.  Also include a CMOS clear to make sure the BIOS settings match.

• 10. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
                            Flying_Kiwi

kusamba wrote:

Reinstalling Windows from scratch???  `From scratch´ implies losing all data, etc.  Might as well change out the motherboard if I am going to do that.  Or did you mean reload as in repair mode?  Or another method I am not thinking of?

I'm glad that the rust blocker strips aren't touching anything they shouldn't be and that your voltages seem to be steady (as best you can tell). I wouldn't worry about very short spikes/dips in voltages. If you can't see any variation out of the green (or near to out of the green) in the IDU gauges, I'd treat the PSU as unlikely to be a cause.

From scratch installs are a great way to weed out your software/combination as being responsible for the USB port problems. The last thing you want is to return your motherboard without having tried a completely fresh install because *if* the issue turns out to be software/OS related then you've wasted alot of time and possibly the postage cost. It's a good idea to do a fresh install every now and again any way as usually PCs slow down over time due to 'clutter' and a fresh install restores the PC back to peak/from the factory levels. Just make sure you back up your data 'etc' before deleting the HDD partition and formatting. If you have a compatible blank HDD, you could temporariliy install that in the case instead of the usual one and install the O/S and drivers (only) before testing all the USB ports again. Although it may be possible to repair the O/S/software setup, for the sake of some mundane DVD swapping and waiting while things load, it's usually easier to just reinstall fresh (NOT a repair or a reload as these will keep the original partition - this must be wiped in case a virus is responsible).

• 11. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
                              parsec

Well kusamba, I may be able to answer one question for you.  Regarding connecting the 1x4 USB plugs from the Silverstone unit, it just might work.  I don't understand your statement about 1x4, plus one for shield, is that one seperate?  Anyway, the shield is not required, and is usually connected to ground anyway, the mother board or case ground, but you can leave it unconnected.  Here is the USB pin configuration, from the official DG45ID Technical Product Specification document:

DG45ID USB Pins.PNG

If you'd like to check this document yourself, here's a link:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15991/eng/DG45ID_TechProdSpec.pdf

Of course you get to determine which orientation of the plug is correct, which I think is important.  Hopefully at the very least the wires are color-coded, and the +5V is red, orange, or white and the ground is black or green.  The picture explains it all, quite simple actually, electrically speaking.  The document has more information than the standard product guide, and you might want to bookmark that link for future reference.

Some thoughts on your flaky USB port behavior:  When the PC boots, the USB drivers are loaded.  Those drivers are a part of Windows, or if for a specific device (wireless mouse, etc) they are provided or downloaded.  Are they corrupted?  Having problems with ports on both of the chips providing USB capability (Intel and VIA) makes me think it is a software rather than hardware problem.  You say the light works when plugged into the ports that otherwise won't function.  So they obviously are getting power, check - that's Ok.  What's left?  The controller chips, or the drivers, basically.

If the chips are Ok, we're left with drivers.  As others have suggested, there's nothing like a clean install to cure what ails a PC.  But I don't like that for the same reasons you don't, yet many people do it all the time.  Just back up your data files with software, Windows 7 has that built in.  Any other options?

I haven't done this in Windows 7, but in XP you could do a System Repair I think it is called, if you have your Windows installation disk, or made a Recovery disk a while ago, any of those floating around?  As I recall, in a Repair, you choose which files you want to reinstall.  You must know what they are and where they are of course, which you can determine with Device Manager, by checking the Driver Details.  Not to many files to fool with, about six - ten.  Takes a bit more serious attention than a new installation, which is one reason why people choose that.

Your memory problem does not sound good, I found two DIMMs of the same size and speed but different make then the ones I had in my DG45ID, so I put them in for the heck of it, came right up fine, all recognized, not one glitch (for some reason I'm lucky with memory, I've never had a single bad DIMM, not once.)

I've had it for now, keep in touch... if possible!!  Good luck!!

• 12. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
                                Curious592

I might have a more complete suggestion if I had checked this myself before fixing my problem with monitor sleep in Vista.  I assume you have a display with a USB connection and a couple USB ports on it.  Some keyboards also provide USB ports.  These probably show up in device manager but the configuration may be incorrect.  In my case switching an old display w/o a USB port for a newer one stopped monitor sleep completely this time.  If you can check whether those work they would at least give you another option to a USB hub.  In my case I made some minor changes in power management and then removed the CMOS battery.

• 13. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
                                  kusamba

OK guys, thanks for all your help!  I think, given all of your opinions, that I will try the fresh Windows install prior to returning the mobo.  Incidently, I did speak to Intel in the USA and Brasil, and both are willing to give me a new board.  That´s nice except both want to touch the old board before they will ship a new one to me.  I hoped they would ship a new one, and then I would return the old one.  Isn´t that they way it goes in the USA?  Seems I replaced 2 disk drives that way - they had my credit card info and I had 15 days to return the old one or be charged.

I have an extra disk in this machine so I can copy things to it or to an external drive - no problem.  But other than data and my application install files, what can I copy that would help after the new Windows install?  How do I copy ``all drivers´´ or would I want to?  Are they in easy to find directories?  I see a product named My Drivers exists but cannot verify it works on Windows 7 - I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I will also need to decide whether to load SP1 for Windows 7.  I have not installed it todate although all other Windows updates are applied àutomatically´.  If I do a fresh install from my DVD, it will take countless hours to get it back to where it is today with all the Windows updates.  I could get a Windows 7 DVD that is more up to date including SP1.  Any of you have experience, good or bad, with SP1?             thanks a bunch!

• 14. Re: DG45ID USB Issues
                                    Curious592

Haven't yet used them but search Migration, that is for changing to a new OS, and Easy Transfer in Windows Help.  I avoid the My folders since I might forget them and use my own folders, one for all drivers (not to the root C:).  With the promotion of add-ons for browsers and favorite sites they try to make it simple.  Planning all that could take some time but as for the drivers they can be installed with the OS to the other drive in less than an hour.  If you use that for your backup then don't install there!  You should promptly see if your problem persists.

The cumulative updates take 2-3 hours, possibly over 2-3 days but you shouldn't even need to connect the LAN to see improvement.  The only difference I have observed with SP1/IE9 is my 240GT graphics driver needed an nVidia update.  The 9600GT system has the old driver and no IE9 yet and still opens the nVidia control panel.  IE9 is better but there was slight delay in updating some apps like Adobe.

Upgrading my UPS and a WD drive RMA couldn't have been easier but little else is like that without special warranties.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next