Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Move RAID 5 from Intel Matrix ICH8R Motherboard to New Intel Rapid Storage Motherboard

idata
Employee

I am about to upgrade from my Abit AB9 Pro P965 motherboard to a new P67 motherboard. I want to keep my raid intact that I have currently which is a 3 disc (1TB each) RAID 5 array on the motherboards onboard RAID controller (Intel ICH8R).

Would I be able to plug the drives into the new motherboard (same SATA slot numbers) and have the newer Intel Rapid Storage RAID controller recognize it? If not, is there anything I can do to make the migration (with data) work? The RAID is just storage and does not contain the OS.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Yes you can plug the drives in the new motherboard (don't forget to make sure the BIOS is set to RAID mode in the new motherboard).

Also note, you do not need to attach them to the same SATA ports, they can be attached to any SATA ports connected to the Intel SATA Controller.

idata
Employee

Ok great! So even if it is a different Intel controller it will work? One more questions: If I set up RAID and everything and plug them in and it doesn't work for some reason, will my data still be safe as long as I don't create a new RAID?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So even if it is a different Intel controller it will work?

Yes. Intel Matrix Storage Manager and Intel Rapid Storage Manager are the same product. The name change is described here: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-031456.htm http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-031456.htm

One more questions: If I set up RAID and everything and plug them in and it doesn't work for some reason, will my data still be safe as long as I don't create a new RAID.

As long as your motherboard BIOS is in RAID mode and you don't delete/create a new RAID volume using those disks it should be safe.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos