2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2011 9:36 PM by parsec

Should I  do Bios Updates

pwertz

I have just completed the first boot on a basic system using a DH67CL motherboard, Intel core i7 - 2600k CPU, one hard drive and one optical drive. I note that there are two BIOS updates listed for the board. I am mindful of what I have read on this site re updating the BIOS - that is, do not update unless you have a problem and believe that the BIOS update will correct the problem. However, with this new system I am inclined to complete oldest update first followed by the most recent update. I would appreciate any comments on this procedure. Thanks. Peter

• 1. Re: Should I  do Bios Updates
          Doc_SilverCreek

First,Check the BIOS release notes to see if any fixes or feature addes might apply to you.

If it does, it makes the choice easy.

If not, or you can't tell from the criptic notes, Remember, they release new BIOS because the old one has some kind of bug.

Desktop's tend to say don't update unless you need to fix an issue.

Server's & Workstations say update.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Should I  do Bios Updates
            parsec

Peter, I have performed BIOS updates on many mother boards from different manufactures, and I have never had a problem either in the procedure or in the update itself... well, perhaps the "fix" in the update did not work as well as intended, but the update never ruined or crippled my PC.

The caution to not update the BIOS is usually given in the desktop user environment as Doc mentioned, simply because those users may not be very familiar with the procedure and less savy technically.  While some of the older BIOS update methods were somewhat difficult, the techniques have improved to the point where I have no fear of them whatsoever.  For example, Intel provided a BIOS update for one of their mother boards that I own, that is done in the Windows environment.  All you needed to do is download the BIOS updating file software to your PC, and run it.  During the procedure, the PC restarted and a message was displayed acknowledging that the update completed successfully.  All the BIOS setting were preserved from their previous state, so nothing needed to be done by the user.  If new features or options are added in the update, you could adjust those if and when you feel it is necessary.

There are other methods of updating the BIOS on a mother board, and they can vary between manufactures.  IMO, one type is not superior to another, except in the situations where you only have one option available to you for whatever reason.  If a Windows environment BIOS update is available, I would recommend using it over the others simply because it is the easiest method, and IMO is not more risky than any of the other methods.  Carefully read the description and directions of each BIOS update method and it's associated file, choose what seems best to you, and do it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful