Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

I7 2600k won't Turbo after B3 Revision MB Replacement

idata
Employee

I recently built a system with an 2600K processor and a Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard. The system performed flawlessly boosting performance up to 3.8 ghz when under load. However, since I received my replacemnet B3 motherboard from Asus, the system will not enter turbo mode (identical settings in BIOS). Using the software that came with the MB the processor frequency stays in the neighborhood of 1600 mhz even under load. The fans never rev up like they used to either. Thinking that I may have received a bad replacement MB, I arranged for another. I get the same results with the replacement MB.

I think that it is unlikely that both replacement board would be faulty so I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities. The BIOS version of the new board is different than the original (can't go backwards) but others don't seem to be having similar issues with the new BIOS according to Asus. I'm wondering if the problem could be processor related. I can't imagine that I damaged the processor swapping it from one board to the other but I'm hoping someone might know what's going on. I've played with various settings in the BIOS including disabling Speedstep and power saving options but nothing seems to help.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would appreciate it...I'm thinking of buying another MB of different manufacture but don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

Thanks!!

Steve G

Asus P86 Sabertooth MB

Gskill Ripjaws Memory 8gig

Coolermaster 1000w PSU

EVGA Gforce 570 GTX video card with latest drivers.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

After purchasing yet another motherboard by a different manufacturer I've discovered that it is indeed a problem with the processor. I downloaded the Intel processor diagnostic tool and the chip failed the test. I'm hoping that Intel will replace the processor for it is only 2 months old and seems to be a direct result of having to switch motherboards due to the chipset issue. All was fine before the switch.

Steve G

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Take the CPU out get a magnifing glass and check for bent pins??

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel provided a warrenty replacement chip. All is fine now. Intel servie was great!

Steve G

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Gald your going to be able to fix it . I'v Been looking at this New chipset Z68, Intel DZ68DB media board no OC , BUT ASUS P8Z68-V Pro , OC ing and dual graphics , plus a new thing SSD cashing for std HD , Looks Promising.

0 Kudos