5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2011 1:52 PM by hsartori

The Marvell 91xx SATA6G controller fails to detect any external SATA II drives

hsartori

The Marvell 91xx SATA6G controller fails to detect any external SATA II drives when they are plugged in so hot swap is not working.   What is the problem?

I have searched ASUS and many Internet discussion groups without successful results.   Most say it will work with the Intel chipset driver 9.2.0.1025, hot swap recognition still fails.

/Howard

Here are the details and driver versions-
      Controller: Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller
      Device Manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers - Intel(R) ICH10 Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 3A22
      Driver Provider: Intel
      Driver Version: 7.0.0.1013
      I have installed the following chipset driver: 9.2.0.1025 using Intel Utility

Motherboard: P6X58D-E
      BIOS: from ASUS- 0502 (latest)

• 1. Re: The Marvell 91xx SATA6G controller fails to detect any external SATA II drives
          parsec

First you should verify which driver you have installed for the Marvell chip.  On my ASUS X58 mother board with Windows 7, the Marvell controller does not appear under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in Device Manager, like the Intel ICH10R SATA controller you have listed, but appears under Storage Controllers.  The Intel Chipset Utility won't install anything for the Marvell controller.

The Marvell drivers from Marvell are: mv91xx.sys, mvxxmm.sys, and mv91xxm.dll.  If you did not install the Marvell drivers that came with your mother board, who knows what will be there, if anything.  I have read it is possible to use Microsoft's msahci driver provided with Windows 7, but I've never tried it.

In order to have hot-swapping activated on the Marvell ports, you would also need to enable AHCI mode for the Marvell controller in your BIOS, which is not done when you set AHCI mode for the main SATA controller (Intel) in the BIOS.  The Marvell controller configuration is usually found in the Tools option in ASUS' BIOS, and AHCI is not the default setting.

• 2. Re: The Marvell 91xx SATA6G controller fails to detect any external SATA II drives

Re: The Marvell 91xx SATA6G controller fails to detect any external SATA II drives
            Parsec,
            This weekend I finally was able to visit the Client and work on the problem. I put in all the drivers but not much improvement on the hot swap issue.
            So, a few questions - Is the performance of the hot swap on USB  and eSATA supposed to be the same?
            I tried to install the new Matrix Storage Manager and received an error that it could not update the one that is installed.  I think I have version v8.9.0.1023.
            When I try to use the Matrix Storage Manager, both the RAID and ATA parts fail.  I supposed I should uninstall the Matrix Storage Manager.
            I will do this and report back.
            Thanks for your ongoing help, Parsec!
            Howard

• 3. Re: The Marvell 91xx SATA6G controller fails to detect any external SATA II drives
              hsartori

When I tried to either UNINSTALL  or INSTALL the Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager Software Version:8.9.0.1023 we get the same error:
              "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software"

How do I fix this?

Motherboard:  ASUS P6X58D-E using the SATA3 6G Hard drives (2) (not RAID configured)

Thanks.  Howard

• 4. Re: The Marvell 91xx SATA6G controller fails to detect any external SATA II drives
                parsec

I really need some more information from you, what OS are you and the client using, and is it 32bit or 64 bit and what version of Windows?

Your ASUS P6X58D-E does not have any eSATA ports built into it, so I assume your case does, or you have an eSATA input on a PCI card slot adaptor, or what?  Next, where do you have the eSATA port(s) connected, the Marvell interface (gray ports) or the Intel?

I am not sure what driver is installed where, but I would not try using the Intel driver on the Marvell interface, regardless what you've read about it working, if you can even get it installed correctly.

For the Marvell 9128 SATA interface, there is a new AHCI driver available (a Beta version) which I recently tried on my ASUS X58 mother board with the '9128 chip, and it works well, here is a link to it:

http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/drivers/sata_controllers/companies/marvell/models/mv9xxx_ahci_controller/21618.html

Once downloaded you'll need to extract the zip file, which creates a .exe file which is actually a 7z file, run it to extract the driver files.  Two folders are created, one for the 32 bit version and one for the 64.  Just run the DPInst64 file to install the 64 bit version, for example.

After installing this driver, I confirmed it was installed and that the BIOS was set to AHCI mode for the Marvell 9128 chip.  I connected my case's eSATA port to a Marvell SATA port, and then connected an external drive already powered up, with it's eSATA cable.  The drive was immediately detected, and the usual Windows dialog window appeared for exploring the drive.  It was very quick, and I read and copied large files back and forth with no problems.

Regarding your problem with the Matrix Storage Manager software, it sounds like your drives are not connected to the Intel SATA interface, but I cannot be certain since you were not clear enough for me.  When you wrote: "... using the SATA3 6G Hard drives (2)...", does that just mean the drives are SATA 6Gb/s, or you were using the 6Gb/s ports on the mother board, or what?

Also, Intel has new RAID driver/software called IRST, which I have installed on my ASUS board, but is not listed on the download page for your board.  More about that later.

• 5. Re: The Marvell 91xx SATA6G controller fails to detect any external SATA II drives
                  hsartori

Thanks for all you notes.  I will be working on this PC tomorrow when the office is closed.

The System is a Windows 7 Professional 64bit

The 2 main internal non-RAID SATA3 6Gbs drivers on are the Marvell Interface (gray ports).

The SATA2 external drive is connected to the Intel SATA controller via a cable to a real panel eSATA connector.

BIOS set to AHCI mode for the Marvell 9128 chip.   Tomorrow (Saturday) I hope to download and install the Marvell 9128 SATA interface new AHCI driver available (a Beta version) which you recently tried on your ASUS X58 mother board with the '9128 chip. 

http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/drivers/sata_controllers/companies/marvell/models/mv9xxx_ahci_controller/21618.html

What hard drive test software do you use?   I am going to download and try both the

AS Disk Benchmark32              

http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/news_cats.php?cat_id=2

www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/news.php

www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/news_cats.php?cat_id=2

www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/news.php?readmore=30

and

ATTO Disk Benchmark v2.47     

www.attotech.com/product.php?model=89&archive=1

Again, thank you!   /Howard