0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 9:10 AM by asmguy

Which part is "for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS* X" if I buy Intel C++ Composer

asmguy

Please have a look here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/buy-or-renew/

There are two almost similar products:

• Intel® C++ Composer XE 2011 for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS* X

Includes Intel® C++ Compiler, Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives, Intel® Parallel Building Blocks, Intel® Math Kernel Library $599

• Intel® Parallel Composer 2011

Includes Intel® C++ Compiler, Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives, Intel® Parallel Building Blocks $399

The main difference seems to be that the cheaper product doesn't include the Intel® Math Kernel Library. A less obvious difference is that Intel® C++ Composer XE 2011 explicitly claims to be meant for the three OSes.

Questions

• Why isn't this mentioned for the Parallel Composer, while this seems to include a subset of the products of Intel® C++ Composer package?
      • Is there a difference, e.g. that the Parallel Composer only has Windows versions of these?
      • Or do both products ship with versions for the three OSes? (if platform specific versions are necessary).
      • Are all parts of the products, the compiler, Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives, Intel® Parallel Building Blocks and the Intel® Math Kernel Library
      • useful on all platforms? is this true for both the Intel® C++ Composer XE and Intel® Parallel Composer?
      • Is the compiler just a cross compiler that runs on Windows, which can also generate code for Linux and Mac OS* X?
      • Or are versions included that run on Linux and OS X?
      • What about Cilk, will this work on all three OSes???
      • If I go to the above link and then click on "see all options" for Intel® C++ Composer XE 2011 for Windows, Linux, or Mac OS* X,

I come here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-composer-xe-purchase/

The top three items are:

Suggested MSRP
      Intel® C++ Composer XE 2011 -  Includes Intel® C++ Compiler, Intel® Integrated  Performance Primitives, Intel® Math Kernel Library, Intel® Parallel Building BlocksFull ProductSupport  Renewal
      Single User License - Windows* $599 Buy$240 Buy
      Single User License - Linux* $599 Buy$240 Buy
      Single User License - Mac OS* X $599 Buy$240 Buy

So, it seems I need to buy seperate upgrades for Windows, Linux and OS X??? This would be 3 times $240 = $720. Then it would be cheaper to buy a      complete new package that supports all three platforms. I wonder how this is possible?

If you go to the link:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-composer-xe/

it says:

Intel® Parallel Building Blocks, speeding and simplifying threading and  performance on Linux* and Windows* with the same code base.

• Broad Support - Runs on Windows* and Linux* in IDE or  standalone.

What happened with the support for OS X?

Many thanks for helping me to choose the right product. As may be clear, I'm not so interested in Fortran, but I want to optimise code so it takes advantage of multiple cores. Last but not least, I'm interested in solutions for all three OSes. At least I should be able to make optimised executables that run on these, but I would like to have a choice of development platform as well: at least Windows and Linux. Granted, this isn't a necessity, as long as the end product runs on all the OSes.

Thanks again.