4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2011 1:34 AM by CursedLemon

DP55WB won't respond to power button on case

CursedLemon

Alright, so.

I've built my own computer, and originally I had ordered a DP55WG and i5 750 for it. This computer was plagued with problems from the getgo.

After sorting out a RAM issue, I noticed that one particular symptom still remained, and I had traced it back to the motherboard. The issue in question is that the motherboard does not respond to the power button on my computer case, either the reset or the actual power switch. The only way the computer will turn on when you introduce an active power supply to it - then, it will turn on automatically by itself. If you shut the computer down, you have to unplug the power cable, wait for the juice to drain from the motherboard, and then plug it back in again to start it back up.

I thought that I had a bad motherboard, so I sent it back to Newegg, where I ordered it from. I received another motherboard, and had the exact same problem arise. This resulted in three volleys of the motherboard back to Newegg, and every time I experienced the same error.

I had thought that I was getting the same defective motherboard back from Newegg constantly, so instead I chose a refund and purchased a DP55WB.

To my horror, I experienced the exact same issue. Now I'd like to know what's going on, because I may have gone through four different Intel motherboards with the same issue, and I feel like I'm being led on with the wiring instructions or something.

To get a few things out of the way:

1. The PSU, RAM, GPU, and CPU are all functioning correctly. They are NOT THE PROBLEM.

2. The computer case does not have faulty wiring. It also functioned correctly using a different motherboard.

3. I am wiring the case to the motherboard correctly, pin for pin, exactly as it says in the board's documentation.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem?

• 1. Re: DP55WB won't respond to power button on case
          JasonACS

CursedLemon wrote:

The only way the computer will turn on when you introduce an active power supply to it - then, it will turn on automatically by itself.

I have to ask, what exactly are you doing here?

In regards to your problem, the colour-coding for the front panel connector sometimes doesn't match up.  On the board it will be red (pins/polarity doesn't matter).  Use the case connector labeled "POWER SWITCH" (do not use "POWER LED").  If you can not find one, you can simulate one by carefully using a flat-head screwdriver to bridge the red pins.

• 2. Re: DP55WB won't respond to power button on case
            CursedLemon

When I said "introduce an active power supply," I just meant plugging the power cable into the PSU, or switching the PSU on.

I'll toy around with the connections a little bit, see what I can do.

• 3. Re: DP55WB won't respond to power button on case
              JasonACS

CursedLemon wrote:

When I said "introduce an active power supply," I just meant plugging the power cable into the PSU, or switching the PSU on.

What is your BIOS setting for "After Power Failure"?  Unless this has been changed to "Power On", what you describe here should not happen.

It sounds like your PSU is older than your board.  Check if it says what version of ATX12V it is.  I wouldn't use anything older than 2.2, but normally I would be using 2.3 with a 5-series board.

• 4. Re: DP55WB won't respond to power button on case
                CursedLemon

Well I'll be damned. The case wiring WAS using non-standard colors, which I believe to be Coolermaster's fault.

Computer boots up just fine now!

Thanks for the suggestion!