Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20690 Discussions

Intel Rapid Storage Technology shows 2 hard drives, Device Manager & Disk Management show 1, why? Is my RAID 1 not working?

idata
Employee

Hello All,

I just built a new computer..

i72600K

Windows 7

2 2TB Hard drives

MSI motherboard P67A-GD65

RAID 1 ? DON'T KNOW

As is said in my thread title, I have what appears to be a contradiction. I THINK I setup RAID 1 successfully, but can't be sure.

Here's why...

Intel Rapid # Storage Technology shows RAID 1 with both drives active, but both Device Manager and Disk Management show only 1 drive. Is this because I'm using # hardware RAID?

If you know FOR SURE, my RAID is working, please confirm this and tell me WHY I'm only showing 1 hard drive in both Device Manager and Disk Management.

Thanks much

4 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The RST RAID configuration is transtarent to OS, meaning Windows only sees the RAID Volume you create using two hard disks, not each individual physical drive.

RST should tell you whether the volume is RAID 1 or not.

idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply,

Okay, so here's another thought...

Let's say I create a file named "cherry.txt". Shouldn't I be able to take either HDD, plug it into even someone elses computer through a SATA port and view the "cherry.txt" file through Windows Explorer? I'm hoping this is the case.

Because this is a RAID setup, there's no special "RAID boot up" that, if corrupt, the files can't be viewed in Windows Explorer is there?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, you can take the drive and plug it into another system that has a SATA port and you will see the file (since it is a RAID1)

However, it is recommended that the system you plug it into has RAID enabled and the same RST software, otherwise when you move the disk back, it may not recognize that you separated the RAID1 and there will be unknown differences between the drives (if any data was ever written to the drive you took on the other computer).

Also, if you plug the disk into a different computer with RAID enabled and bring it back to your your original system, a RAID1 rebuild will occur which will take several hours... the rebuild is copying all the data from one disk onto the other to ensure they are in a matching state again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Okay, duly noted and thanks for the help.

0 Kudos