2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2011 3:43 AM by steppinwolf

Remove Drive from RAID-1 Array to Read on Another System

steppinwolf

My desktop PC (specs below) is currently down due to some issue that is probably unrelated to the disk subsystem. I'd like to:

1. Temporarily remove one of the Samsung 1TB drives from it's RAID-1 array.
        2. Connect it to laptop that has USB 3.0 using a Kingwin USI-2535U3 EZ-Connect
        3. Copy some data from the drive to the laptop.
        4. Put the Samsung drive back in the RAID-1 array.

Note that Windows 7 is installed on the SSD array. The Samsung F3's only contain data and a second paging file.

My question is, will Windows 7 on the laptop try to write to this drive and perhaps mark it in some way so it will have to be rebuilt (re-mirrored) when added back to the RAID-1 array?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: Intel DP55KG AA E47218-403

CPU: Intel i7 860

HD: Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD x 2 (RAID-1) and Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB x 2 (RAID-1)

BIOS version: KGIBX10J.86A.5893.2010.1116.0001

Chipset: P55, INF version 9.1.1.1022

Disk Controller Intel 3400 Series SATA RAID controller; driver: RST 9.6.0.1014 (3/3/2010)

Marvell Controller 88SE6145 RAID Adapter; BIOS 1.2.0.31; Driver 1.2.0.7103 (9/15/2009)

• 1. Re: Remove Drive from RAID-1 Array to Read on Another System
          millersh

*Assuming you are using the RST RAID software. on the Intel controller*

If you ever turn on your desktop PC with the Samsung drive missing, then the volume will go degraded and it will perform a rebuild once the samsung drive is returned to the desktop PC.

If you don't turn on the desktop PC and you connect the disk using USB 3.0 (as you stated) then you will be able to copy data off and move it back without the desktop PC being the wiser.

This is because the RST RAID software 9.6.0.1014 only has access to the disks connected to the SATA Controller (via sata ports), not the USB controller and its connectors.  Therefore even if your laptop is in RAID mode, it won't degrade the Samsung disk either.

I do want to warn you that there may be some sectors of the disk written to the Samsung drive when connected to the USB port on your laptop.  Obviously these changes won't be mirrored on your other drive connected to your desktop PC.  You can always perform a "Verify and Repair" in the RST Console UI when you return the Samsung drive to the desktop PC to ensure both drives have the same data.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Remove Drive from RAID-1 Array to Read on Another System
            steppinwolf

millersh, thank you very much for the quick response. This is what I was hoping, but wanted to check with others first. Good idea on running Verify and Repair once the desktop is back up and running. Hopefully I'll be able to report back the expected result.