12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2011 4:26 PM by Alex_Hyperthreading_Falls

I have a question about legacy Pentium 4 northwood processor

Alex_Hyperthreading_Falls

Hello!

Please, can anyone tell me the clue? I have legacy P4 Northwood processor 2.8 GHz, with bus 800 MHz. It also (i was sure, but now ain't) has Hyper-threading technology. Alright, thought i, cause my BIOS always said that it sees the Hyper-threading and it is enabled. Before this processor i have had 2.4 Celeron one. It was really long time ago. And this same BIOS of this same motherboard didn't see any Hyper-Threading posibility as it should - this is normal, cause celerons don't have HT-technology. Alright. Long time i used Ubuntu. And it's screenlets or utilities showed 2 CPUs as it normal when hyper-threading is ON.

I have used also (WinXP SP3 fully updated) from time to time but didn't especially noticed that its task manager's tab of CPU load and memory usage shows just ONE core. Recently i've noticed that misinterpretation and thought that it's just the settings of the tab. But no - the settings was set to show 2 core's if present.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oh my god!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Linux see 2 core, but

WinXP - just 1 core!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>End of (Oh my god!) exclamation<<<<<<<<<

So i've decided to investigate. I've downloaded latest chipset driver and installed it - nothing has changed. Then i've downloaded (Intel CPU identification utility). And, for my darkest fears, it shows that THERE IS NO HYPER-THREADING TECHNOLOGY!!!!!!!

I BEG OF YOU, PLEASE!!!! TELL ME!!! JUST TELL ME!!! THAT PROCESSOR IS DEFECTIVE AND THOSE TRICKY GUY FROM THE WAREHOUSE WHO SOLD ME IT JUST HAS SCOFFED AT ME?!!! OR MAYBE LUNAR GRAVITATION DID THE TRICK?!!! PLEASE!!!

P.S. WinXP and Ubuntu was installed _after_ install of the P4 processor and turning HT in BIOS on.

P.P.S. Hello my foreign friends from still snowy Russia. I hope your day would be nice and funny as mine!