Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

I have a question about legacy Pentium 4 northwood processor

idata
Employee

Hello!

Please, can anyone tell me the clue? I have legacy P4 Northwood processor 2.8 GHz, with bus 800 MHz. It also (i was sure, but now ain't) has Hyper-threading technology. Alright, thought i, cause my BIOS always said that it sees the Hyper-threading and it is enabled. Before this processor i have had 2.4 Celeron one. It was really long time ago. And this same BIOS of this same motherboard didn't see any Hyper-Threading posibility as it should - this is normal, cause celerons don't have HT-technology. Alright. Long time i used Ubuntu. And it's screenlets or utilities showed 2 CPUs as it normal when hyper-threading is ON.

I have used also (WinXP SP3 fully updated) from time to time but didn't especially noticed that its task manager's tab of CPU load and memory usage shows just ONE core. Recently i've noticed that misinterpretation and thought that it's just the settings of the tab. But no - the settings was set to show 2 core's if present.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oh my god!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Linux see 2 core, but

WinXP - just 1 core!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>End of (Oh my god!) exclamation<<<<<<<<<

So i've decided to investigate. I've downloaded latest chipset driver and installed it - nothing has changed. Then i've downloaded (Intel CPU identification utility). And, for my darkest fears, it shows that THERE IS NO HYPER-THREADING TECHNOLOGY!!!!!!!

I BEG OF YOU, PLEASE!!!! TELL ME!!! JUST TELL ME!!! THAT PROCESSOR IS DEFECTIVE AND THOSE TRICKY GUY FROM THE WAREHOUSE WHO SOLD ME IT JUST HAS SCOFFED AT ME?!!! OR MAYBE LUNAR GRAVITATION DID THE TRICK?!!! PLEASE!!!

P.S. WinXP and Ubuntu was installed _after_ install of the P4 processor and turning HT in BIOS on.

P.P.S. Hello my foreign friends from still snowy Russia. I hope your day would be nice and funny as mine!

12 Replies
idata
Employee

The output:

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility

Version: 4.30.20101214

Time Stamp: 2011/03/15 19:31:59

Operating System: 5.1-2600-Service Pack 3

Number of processors in system: 1

Current processor: # 1

Active cores per processor: 1

Disabled cores per processor: 0

Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80C GHz

Type: 0

Family: F

Model: 2

Stepping: 9

Revision: 2E

Maximum CPUID Level: 2

L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops

L1 Data Cache: 8 KB

L2 Cache: 512 KB

Packaging: FC-PGA2

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology: No

MMX(TM): Yes

Intel(R) SSE: Yes

Intel(R) SSE2: Yes

Intel(R) SSE3: No

Intel(R) SSE4: No

Intel(R) AES-NI: No

Intel(R) AVX: No

Enhanced Halt State: No

Execute Disable Bit: No

Intel(R) Hyper-Threading Technology: No

Intel(R) 64 Architecture: No

Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: No

Expected Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz

Reported Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz

Expected System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz

Reported System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz

Thanx for quick answer!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As it is clear from the outpout file of the Intel Identification Utility your processor does not support Hyper-Threading technology.

But there is something wrong with your output file in my opinion. Your system is running with an FSB of 800MHz. Under this condition there is only on Northwood processor that is running with 88MHZ FSB and it supports Hyper-Threading as is clearly stated at following link:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27495&processor=&spec-codes=SL6WJ,SL6WT,SL6Z5,SL78Y http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27495&processor=&spec-codes=SL6WJ,SL6WT,SL6Z5,SL78Y

What is the motherboard (Vendor and Bios Version) that you have installed your processor?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

> But there is something wrong with your output file in my opinion.

Yea! I told you the same! I was supersured that this is Northwood. Unfortunately now i'm sure just at 87,6% that this is not_broken Northwood

Here is info:

Motherboard:

ID: 03/20/2003-i845GEV/PEV-W-6A69VBKGC-00

Vendor and model: Albatron PX845PEV (Pro) Rev 800

Properties of FSB:

Type of bus: Intel GTL+ 64 bit

Real frequency: 200 MHz (QDR)

Effective frequency: 800 MHz

6400 Mb/sec

Memory bus:

Memory: DDR SDRAM 64bit

Freq: 200 MHz (DDR)

Effective freq: 400 Mhz

Chipset: Brookdale i845PE

//=========================================

BIOS: Award R1.00

Type of Award BIOS: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG

Type of Award BIOS: R1.00

Date: 03/20/03

Data of videoadapter BIOS: 08/01/03

BIOS manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

//==========================================

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If your Bios info are correct. (because there is a v2.0 Same motherboard), you are at bios level R1.00.

Albatron website states that this is the latest (and only-one) BIOS.

I know that is something that it is painfull but i would recomend a fresh install of WinXP Pro with SP3, just to check there isnt something wrong with your installation. If you are still see only 1 core at system properties, then i would recomend to replase your mobo. I Strongly beleive that your processor is OK and the problem is your mobo.

Sorry if i could not help more on this.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Any BIOS set-up options to enable Hyper-Threading?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

> Any BIOS set-up options to enable Hyper-Threading?

Yea. And it is turned right on. And the 1st boot screen shows yellow string "Hyper-Threading is ON" - i've already described it in the very first post.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

fsofos, thanx for your ideas. About windows reinstall ... mm... i've installed this copy of WinXP not very long time ago - about 1,5 years. Anyway... I have no any different installation CDs of XP yet. I'll try to dwnld couple and make boot flash from iso. Your answer has led me to believe that there is something not very good with mobo. I know that Albatron has abandoned support of this mobo and there weren't any new BIOS revs. If updates were there i would update my mobo of course. Anyway, i'll try to check this stone at different mobo first if i'll find one.

One thing which really confuses me totally out - Ubuntu sees 2 CPU's. And shows their load absolutely natural. As like as everything's fine. The load of 2 CPU's there isn't identicall but resambles each other. When no application runing the load of 2 CPU's is almost 0. bout 1-3% maybe. Then if any programm starts the load grows up at both CPU's though not absolutely identical. It might be compute 2nd graph as f(1st(t) + random_epsilon(t)) lol. Really dunno to do. Ok. If i'll find this situation out i'll post here the conclusion. If there only be supertesting utility which says all the processor features indifferently of OS or Mobo....

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

You might try restoring the bios defaults and / or a processor retest if teh BIOS has one.

Some BIOS test the Processor once and then sets internal values flags. (ie set up on your celeron, so HT is disabled?)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If Ubuntu sees 2 CPU's then it is probably a problem with your WinXP Installation. If you setup your system from scratch with no drivers, just to check or maybe i have a better idea, why not istalling WinXP into a virtual machine just to sees how your system behaves...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

fsofos, sorry that confused you a bit. I've made some more precise view at Ubuntu's watchers. Native watch also sees 1 core. Screenlets show two, but i think they call CPU0 - the main CPU and CPU1 - the GPU. So in the end none of OS sees 2 cores. I should make some checks with your hints! Thanx! I would make it all faster if i haven't so much work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Doc_SilverCreek, i made total drop to defaults with hyperthreading turned on. Now i should reinstall one of OS' i think... it will take time i guess couse i need to backup lot's of stuff. Find time for this. Anyway, thank you, friends, for help!

I think the truthfulness (probability?) of things that could happen to me.

damaged (defective?) CPU: 1-20%

bad or buggy Mobo or BIOS: 50-100%

bad OSes: 1-10%

somethin else: 1-10%

Ah. I remember one thing (it was several years ago) - when i have installed this CPU into this Mobo instead of Celeron 2.4 suddenly onboard soundcard became not working. I've dropped to defaults. Turned it on'n'off in BIOS etc, but it just gone. When i set back the Celeron the onboard soundcard worked fine again as before. So the onboard soundcard have some conflicts with CPU? Anyway i had to turn it off in BIOS and buy separate soundcard. So this mobo is very buggy...

0 Kudos