6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2012 12:42 PM by Beerman

D525MW can't boot Lycom Raid card

primeaniac

Hi

I can't get the computer boot up on my Lycom ST102 raid card with 2x 1TB WD disks, running the Linux dist ClearOS (mirrored raid)

Get the screen with text "no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key", my old Dell P3 can boot without problem.

Installed latest bios.

Installing the the ClearOS went just fine but when rebooting i get the "no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key"...

Seems to be a similar issue when booting from USB stick for others.

Someone who has an solution or any information regarding this issue?

Regards,

Thomas

• 1. Re: D525MW can't boot Lycom Raid card
          primeaniac

Had a little chat with Intel regarding my Issue...

Intel: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today?

Me: Hello

Me: I bought a Atom mainboard D525MW, but I can't boot a harddrive connected to a raid card

Me: Is there a confirmed issue with that, my old pentium 3 computer did not have any problem with that

Intel: it might be a compatibility issue with the RAID card you are using

Me: I can however install the OS on it without any problem

Intel: have you tested with a different type of device to make sure the port is working?

Me: the Lycom ST-102 raidcard seems to be found correctly in the bios to, upgraded to latest bios to

Me: unfortunately I don't have a second raid card with a different manufacturer

Intel: I see, as you already did, ensure to have the latest BIOS update and latest Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility

Intel: if possible test with a different brand

Intel: but it seems to be a compatibility issue with the device

Me: I've read around the intel forum aswell and can see that there is a similar issue but with the USB stick, it's a linux system that are going to booted to

Intel: BIOS version 0074, correct ?

Me: yes

Me: the lycom card is well known working card for using with linux and are based on the Silicon image 3512 chipset

Intel: I see, unfortunately this motherboard is not designed to run such cards so they might work or they might not

Me: can you recommend perhaps a supposed to work raid card for PCI with 2 SATA ports?

Intel: As a corporate policy, we don't provide hardware recommendations and also your motherboard is not designed to work with this type of RAID cards. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding on this matter

Me: Okidoki, thanks for you answers.

Intel: welcome

Intel: Thank you for using chat. We value your suggestions and would appreciate it if you would take a moment to complete our survey. The survey will appear when you click "Close''  to close the chat window. Have a nice day.

• 2. Re: D525MW can't boot Lycom Raid card
            ChrisIntel

Thomas,

Does the RAID card initialize during post?

While not likely, as you indicated it works with a Pentium 3 based system, it is possible that there is not enough option rom available to initialize the controller.  You might try disabling Boot to USB, and Boot to Network to free up some option rom space to help initialize the card.

If it does initialize, are you able to get into the configuration utility for the RAID card during post?

If this is the case, you should go into BIOS, under Security there is an option for "Expansion Card Text" set that to enable and see if that card will allow you into configuration utility for the RAID controller.

Thanks
            Chris

• 3. Re: D525MW can't boot Lycom Raid card
              primeaniac

Hi Chris

Thanks for your input, I've tried all of your suggestions but with no luck.

I had a another Lycom ST102 too so I tried that but it didn't work either.

I also got the older D510MO runing windows and set it up like on the D525MW and it worked with with RAID setup... it must be a bug then in bios because these two boards must be almost identical except for the CPU and Memory.

I will try the chat again and see what they say this time...

I will be glad for any input you can come up with here.

/Thomas

• 4. Re: D525MW can't boot Lycom Raid card
                primeaniac

Chat no 2 with Intel. Still no directly answers = they don't have clue... gave me an email address for raising this issue.

Allan: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today?

Me: Hi Allan

Me: I've got the D525MW atom board and it can't boot the RAID card Lycom ST102 with two WD harddrives (mirrored)

Allan: Does your computer work without the Raid card?

Me: i've tried with a different RAID card too but with no luck

Me: yes

Me: the setup works on my D510MO though

Me: it must be a bug in bios

Me: it says that i don't have a boot device

Allan: a BIOS bug or card compatibility

Me: have the board layout with components changed that much between D510MO and D525MW?

Allan: not really, just the chipset revision

Me: is it not just the CPU and memory that differs

Allan: if this is a bios issue, I recommend waiting for new BIOS version or contact your card manufacturer for compatibility information

Me: my project just got spoiled because of this :(... I don't think it a compatibility issue

Allan: I recommend reporting this issue to the following email address

Allan: emeasupport@mailbox.intel.com

Me: I will do that, thanks.

Allan: you're welcome.

Allan: Thank you for using chat. We value your suggestions and would appreciate it if you would take a moment to complete our survey. The survey will appear when you click "Close''  to close the chat window. Have a nice day.

• 5. Re: D525MW can't boot Lycom Raid card
                  ChrisIntel

I sent you a private message, please take a look at that and let me know.

Thanks

Chris

• 6. Re: D525MW can't boot Lycom Raid card
                    Beerman

I've experienced the same problem few month ago.

D525MW could not boot system (freebsd in my case) from Highpoint RocketRaid 1640 PCI SATA Raid controller.

BIOS Version 0089 - MWPNT10N.86A.0089.2011.0907.1600.

I was able to select it as boot device in BIOS, but it was not booting.

Any solution found?