3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2011 8:00 AM by ric23

DH55HC headless

pvdputte

For a small and power-efficient home server, I got myself the DH55HC motherboard and a CPU without integrated graphics. The manual states:

3.6.3 Booting Without Attached Devices
      For use in embedded applications, the BIOS has been designed so that after passing the POST, the operating system loader is invoked even if the following devices are not present:

- Video adapter
      - Keyboard

- Mouse

And the beep codes list this:

Type: Video error (no add-in graphics card installed)
      Pattern: On-off (1.0 second each) two times, then 2.5-second pause (off), entire pattern repeats (beeps and pause) once and the BIOS will continue to boot.

So that should work just fine, right? Except it doesn't, only with a vga card installed it will boot, and without it just keeps repeating this on-off beeping pattern forever :-(

There are not relevant options in the bios (like (halt on: all errors except VGA etc)

What am I missing? Installing a video card places a big burden on power efficiency.

• 1. Re: DH55HC headless
          ric23

Hi,

Were you finally able to boot your system without a video card?

I needed a box with no video, so after checking the manual, I bought the same board. As you state, the system doesn't come up without a video card.

Thanks

• 2. Re: DH55HC headless

Nope, after a couple of e-mails to Intel support I finally got this answer:

Where the TPS states:
            ""For use in embedded applications, the BIOS has been designed so that after passing the POST, the operating system loader is invoked even if the following devices are not present: Video adapter".
            This is true in terms of a third party discrete video adapter, but only when the processor is a Clarkdale (Intel i3/i5 CPU with graphics integrated), so it has graphics and therefore will not need the discrete video adapter. Your processor however is a Lynnfield (Intel® i5/i7 CPU without integrated graphics) and therefore does not have integrated graphics, which is why your system will not POST, as our motherboards do require a graphics chip (integrated or discrete) to be able to pass POST.

I absolutely couldn't agree with such phrasing in the manual, and after annoying the support guys some more they promised to send my comments to their technical writers.

I'm not pleased at all about my purchase, but what can you do... I bought a second-hand low-power pci-e video adapter in the end. (asus/ati x300-se).

Good luck!

• 3. Re: DH55HC headless
              ric23

Thanks for the update.

Just in case anyone's interested: we tested a DP55WB board both with a core i7-870 and i5-750 (no video support) and it seems to behave as stated in the manual (2 beeps pause 2 beeps and then normal boot).