6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 10:40 AM by

How to Migrate a Vista x64 C: Partition from RAID1 HDDs to an Intel X25-M (G2) SATA SSD?

carlkelley

BACKGROUND

I have a Dell Precision T3400 running Vista x64 Ultimate SP2 and the latest Dell Flash BIOS A11.
      It has two Western Digital 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s hard disks configured in as RAID1 managed by an Intel ICH8R/ICH9R Raid controller.
      The dual HDDs are logically partitioned into C: and B: drives.
      I have Acronis True Image Workstation and take regular snapshots of my C: drive and have created a bootable CD-ROM.
      But, my C: partition is only 60 GB and has only 2 GB of free space remaining and I need to increase its size.
      So, I purchased a 120GB Intel X25-M SATA Solid-State Drive (SSDSA2MH120G2K5) and installed it into the empty 3.5 inch HDD bay.
      I connected the SSD to the power cable and plugged the data cable into my empty SATA-4 slot on the motherboard.
      PROBLEM

My BIOS does not recognize the SSD as a SATA device.  I need step-by-step instructions on how to get my system to recognize my new SSD and I'm hoping to get answers to the following questions along the way:
      • How do I made sure my HDDs are still a RAID1 pair after the migration?
      • Do I need to unplug my HDDs from ports SATA-0 and SATA-1 before connecting my SSD?
      • Do I need to connect the SSD to port SATA-0?
      • Do I need to enable ACHI in the BIOS?  If so, how and when?
      • When do I use Intel's SSD Firmware Update Tool to upgrade the SSD firmware?
      • When to install the Intel SSD Toolkit with its SSD Optimizer to get TRIM-like garbage collection under Vista?

BIOS Settings

Currently, my six SATA ports are allocated as follows:
      SATA-0 = 500GB Western Digital HDD
      SATA-1 = 500GB Western Digital HDD
      SATA-2 = TSSTcorpDVD-ROM TS-H353B
      SATA-3 = TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-H653B
      SATA-4 = Intel X25-M SSD (unrecogized)
      SATA-5 = not used
      SATA Operation is set to RAID Autodetect / AHCI = RAID if signed drives, otherwise AHCI
      The boot sequence is set to:
      1.  Onboard or USB Floppy Disk (not present)
      2.  Onboard SATA Hard Drive (not present)
      3.  Intel ARRAY
      4.  Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive
      5.  Onboard Network Controller (not present)
      6.  USB Device
      My Windows Vista x64 SP2 registry entry for [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci]
      Start = 0x00000004 (4)