1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 9:39 AM by walterramjet

boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO

walterramjet

This computer always took at least 2 minutes to get past the blue Intel splash screen from the very first time I turned it on.  I've had it about 1 year.  This morning, I turned it on and it took about 5 mintues and then dispalyed a message that indicated it couldn't find any bootable media and to go to the Intel support website.  That was all.  So I rebooted and went into the BIOS setup and the bios no longer sees any bootable media.  My hard drives and CD/DVD player are no longer detected in the BIOS.  I cant even reload the operating system if I cant get the CD player working.

My computer:

Intel Core i7-920) quad-core desktop CPU optimized for the intel XX58 express chipset (2.66GHZ) (Core 45nm) (QPI 4.8GT/s) (Socket LGA 1366) (L3 Cache 8MB) (PCG 08) (Prod Code: BX80601920) (MM#: 900252) (FPO/Batch # 3841A453)

Mother Board is Intel extreme series DX58SO

Power Supply is Corsair TX750W

Memory is 3 each 2GB Corsair

2 hard drives - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11  750GB SATA

the boot drive is plugged into SATA-0

second hard drive is plugged into SATA-1

CD/DVD is plugged into SATA-2

Video adapter: Radeon HD 4870

Operating system, if it matters, is Windows 7 

I have heard that Intel made a bunch of flawed i7 systems that would fail to boot sata hard drives.  Does anyone know about this?

Thanks,

Walt

• 1. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO
          Doc_SilverCreek

Does the CD LED come on at power up and can you open the tray?

First guess is power supply lost power to the drives.

Do you have a usb fob drive & is it see in the BIOS?

Have you tried restoring BIOS defaults?

Any visiable damage on the mother board?

(The Couger Point flaw only effects the h67/p67 chipset)

• 2. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO

Hi Doc,

The CD's LED does not come on during the boot, but the tray opens and closes.

Before I went to work this morning, I saw your message and was trying to make a bootable USB.  I will post the results after work.

restoring BIOS defaults changed nothing.

There is no visible damage to the mother board.  It still looks new.

The 2 hard drives and CD player are daisy-chained on the power supply so I'm thinking that if the CD player opens and closes and its on the end of the daisy-chain, then there has to be power at the other two drives.

In the boot section of the BIOS, next to boot order, it just says no boot drives (or something like that) and is sort of grey out or non selectable.  however, "enable usb boot" is selectable and so i will enable that to see if I can get that to boot, tonight.

thanks for your response,

Walt

• 3. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO

Doc,

re:     (The Couger Point flaw only effects the h67/p67 chipset)

Were you implying that I dont have this chipset on my mother board?  If not, how do I find out what my chipset is?

thanks,

Walt

• 4. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO

I managed to iflash to the latest BIOS with my thumb drive.  Still, no boot drive detected.

In the BIOS, my SATA hard drives are not detected, so nothing has changed since yesterday.

When I put my Win7 disc in, it wants to install and loads, but says I dont have a hard drive to install to.

The blue Intel splash screen lasts 4 minutes, exactly.

I've disconnected each of the two hard drives and rebooted and then the blue splash screen only lasts about 30 seconds and returns the message, "no bootable drive".  Its the same for each hard drive.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Walt

• 5. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO

I just checked the power supply voltage during boot on the hard drives  

3.3 v

5 v

12 v

so thats not the problem

• 7. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO
                    Doc_SilverCreek

The CD is working off SATA 2 port is a good sign.

You could try swaping the CD to SATA 0 and the HDD to Sata 2

If the CD works on SATA 0  and the HDD is still dead on SATA 2 ,

I would suspect a HDD failure.

If the CD stops working the the HDD starts working, Your looking at a SATA controller failure on the mother board.

• 8. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO

I swapped the SATA plugs like you suggested.

I connected the CD to port 0 and the primary hard drive to port 2.  no change.

I put them back the way they were and no change.

By the way, when I put the Wind7 disc in and managed to load the windows installer, that was a freak occurance.  It wasn't happening before and isn't happening now.  I cant seem to duplicate what i did that one time with loading windows.

The post boot message still says, "unable to detect a bootable drive"

The BIOS doesn't list my hard drives or CD drive.

I dont know if this can be fixed.  I bought the mother board, cpu and all other components separately in January of 2009.  I have to wonder if the mother board is covered under some kind of waranty.

Earlier, I mentioned that the intel splash screen lasted 4 minutes.  Its been like that every time I've started the computer since the first time I turned it on.

Also, on the splash screen, lower right corner, I see a small A5.  That has always been there, too.  The difference is, it used to boot and windows always worked just fine when it finally got booted.  now, no boot.

• 9. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO
                        Doc_SilverCreek

Hmm,  Ok.

How about disconnect all your SATA devices execpt the Boot drive and see if it is found.

Followed by just connecting the data drive and see if BIOS set-up see that drive alone.

Based on the discriptions either:

1) the SATA controller has failed

2) No power to the drives

3) one of the SATA devices is bad and hanging the bus (rare but possiable)

When all else fails http://www.intel.com/support/replacements.htm  This is the like to the warranty replacement folks.

• 10. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO
                          parsec

Hi Walt,  Just to be clear, there aren't any components on your mother board that are the same as the one that has the problem you heard about, that is the Cougar Point PCH chip which supports the new Sandy Bridge CPUs, your board has an entirely different architecture.  The SATA 3Gb/s interface on your mother board is provided by the Intel ICH10R chip, and is a tried and true workhorse on Intel-based mother boards, I have three mother boards that use the ICH10, and they have always worked perfectly.  A failure of that chip would be rare, but of course not impossible, I would look elsewhere first.

I have seen with other mother boards, that on the first "cold boot", when power was removed from the PC, the SATA drives will not be recognized, their recognition seems to occur after entering and exiting the BIOS.  By recognized I mean listed as SATA drives in a SATA configuration option, but I don't get any errors regarding missing drives.  So you do not see any drives listed in the Boot Ordering option in the BIOS?  That sounds like a power issue.

I think you should try using another of the SATA power cables from your PS, I know it has more of them.  Use that cable to power your HDDs, or try it on the boot drive only.  Put your OS drive into the SATA 0 or 1 port, whichever is first.  I know you measured the voltage, but that was a no-load condition.

I know you just flashed the BIOS, but clearing it with the jumper procedure can't hurt.

It's odd that all your drives, from HDD to Optical are not recognized.  That's why it is worth putting them on separate power cables, a bad drive in the chain may be causing power problems on that cable from the PS.

Your OS drive may have expired as well.

• 11. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO

Parsec,

There was a spare power cable and I used this to power just the primary hard drive.  Nothing changed and this is what I saw in the BIOS.

in the "Configuration" menu

ATA/IDE Mode                  <Native>

Chipset-SATA Mode          <IDE>

SATA Port 0                    [Not Installed]

SATA Port 1                    [Not Installed]

SATA Port 2                    [Not Installed]

SATA Port 3                    [Not Installed]

SATA Port 4                    [Not Installed]

SATA Port 5                    [Not Installed]

At the same time, in the "Boot" menu

Hard Drive Order                    No Hard Disk Drive

Optical Drive Order                No Optical Drive

Removable Drive Order           No Removable Drive

I typed the info above so you would know what I am seeing in my BIOS every time I make a change.

So, I disconnected all of the drives except the primary hard drive and booted.  Same results.

Then I disconnected all of the drives except the second hard drive and booted.  Same results.

Then I disconnected all of the drives except the Optical/CD/DVD drive and it showed up in Port 0 where I plugged it in.  So, I tried the optical drive in each of the ports and booted to the BIOS each time and it showed up in all 6 ports.  Leaving the Optical in port 2 and connecting the primary hard drive in Port 0 and booted and nothing showed up in the BIOS (not even the optical drive).  so I unplugged the primary from port 0 and connected it to Port 1.  Nothing showed in the BIOS.  I disconnected the primary hard drive power and SATA cable and connected the secondary hard drive to port 0 with the optical still connected to Port 2 and a different power supply cable.  No change in the BIOS.  Nothing was detected not even the optical.  I continued with these iterations in different ports with the dame dissapointing results.  However, when disconnecting all hard drive SATA cables, but leaving the power connected to the both hard drives on there own power cable, the optical shows up again in the BIOS.

It would appear that there may be a problem with the power supply.  I still cant make sense of it.  Do you know of a bootable diagnostic software that can help me make this determination?

On another note, I did some research on my hard drives.  From what I read, my hard drives may have a problem.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=211071&NewLang=en

"A firmware issue has been identified that affects a small number of Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive models which may result in data becoming inaccessible after a power-off/on operation. The affected products are Barracuda 7200.11, Barracuda ES.2 SATA"

To make matters worse, it gets more complicated if the hard drives have already failed.

I hope from this information, you guys can point me in the right direction, because i was not able to prove there was a problem with the mother board's disk drive controller.

Walt

I disconnected both hard drive power and sata cable and rebooted directly to the BIOS.

• 12. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO
                              Doc_SilverCreek

So if I got the results correct, the CD works on all SATA ports as long as neigther of the HDD's are connected,

but if you connect either HDD, you loose all SATA.(HDD and CD)

The seagate posting is not to specific, but it looks like a good possibility. Did you check your serial numbers against their data base?

https://apps1.seagate.com/rms_af_srl_chk/

Very strnge that both drives would fail at the same time, but if this is a firmware issue with power cycling, it is very possiable that they both could die.

You don't happen to have another HDD you could try?

• 13. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO

Yes, you understand my understanding of the situtaion with my drives.  something is haywire.

yes, my serial numbers were in the group of messed up hard drives.  I will have to buy a power supply tester and a new hard drive to make anymore determinations.  I have started a case with seagate to see if they have some magic spell to cast my way and dont expect to hear back from them until tomorrow or the next day.  I will post the results.

Until then, I may try the paper clip test on my power supply, recomended by corsair.  Although, I dont see how that proves anything except the fan works and I already know that works.

walt

• 14. Re: boot hangs with "failed to detect bootable media" i7-920 quad-core desktop, DX58SO
                                  Doc_SilverCreek

I did not see corsair posting, but you measured the power supply voltages, which is pretty conclusive that you have power.

If your BIOS has a Spin up delay, you could try increasing it which would give the HDD more time to get to "ready", but I don't think that is your issue since the drives completely hang the SATA bus and don't show up at all. The front end SATA link training does not care if the drive if fully spun up but some drives will drop out if not in a ready state.

1 2 Previous Next