1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 1:11 PM by m0avn

Motherboard D845WN - where to go now?

m0avn

A D845WN, Pentium 4 etc, was donated to be my second PC. It was said to "freeze occasionally". On power up, it gave the start menu page with 'Start Windows Normally' highlighted. Pressed Enter - nothing, keyboard dead (no caps lock LED either). Is this where I went wrong? - because I unplugged the kb and plugged in one I knew worked but all without powering down first.

Now on power up, no display and no bios beeps. CPU fan is running and voltages on main power plug are spot on, ditto for the CPU power plug. Not psu problem, then. In the dark now without bios beeps. There is a little beeper on the board labelled 'speaker' and a proper LS behind the front panel which I've tested separately with an audio source- it's ok but would the bios sound through that? My guess is it wouldn't. How to test the built-in beeper? Should I remove the mobo and unsolder it etc?

You'll have guessed by now I'm new to all this but finding it all fascinating! There must be a logical progression from here. Could it be Bios Recovery with a download to a floppy? Any advice gratefully received. Alan, in UK

• 1. Re: Motherboard D845WN - where to go now?
          levicki

Judging by the age of that thing it is very likely that its capacitors are gone bad by now.

Check this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Then inspect the mainboard visually to see if you have any bad capacitors.

If yes, then if you have the skill and tools you can try to replace them with some new ones. If not, there are repair shops doing it for a small fee.

If you don't notice anything extraordinary on the mainboard, disconnect all drives and try powering it on without video card and memory sticks -- if that gets you some beeping then the board and CPU are ok but the video card or RAM are defective. If not, then you should check for the bent or broken CPU pins.

Basically, it is a troubleshooting process -- unplug all devices and if it works, plug them back one by one until you find the one which is stopping it from working. I wouldn't get my hopes too high though. That thing is ancient history (some 11 years old or something). Good luck.