cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Intel 510 series Elm Crest 120gb SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just purchased one of these babies after a corsair SSD turned out to be a piece of crap and I sent it back for a refund. I bought the 120 gb model from newegg and was wondering how Intel calculates the gigabytes for there specs. Do they say 1 gig is 1024 megs or 1000 megs? I might sound like I'm splitting hairs but since SSD drives aren't cheap and I need all the space I can get. One the corsair model it was packaged as 128gb but the true size was 119gb since they measured using 1000 megs per gig.

2 REPLIES 2

mmokk
Contributor

it's 120,000,000,000 bytes. windows will report it as having ~111gb of usable capacity.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yup, manufacturers provide storage quoted in kilo/mega/giga/tera-bytes which are decimal prefixes. (i.e. 1kB = 1000 bytes)

The computer are binary and uses kibi/mebi/gibi/tebi-bytes prefixes. (i.e. 1KiB = 1024bytes).

To further complicate the matter, JEDEC (the organization that defines memory standards) has the kibi/mebi/gibi prefixes as K, M, and G respectively. Therefore, a 1kB is not the same as 1KiB but 1KB is the same as 1KiB. However, 1MB is not the same as 1MiB but maybe the same as 1MB (according to the JEDEC notation).

Sorry if that was too much information!

As stated above, your 120GB SSD will have 111.76GB usable.