9 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2011 10:54 AM by

INTEL D865GBF MOTHERBOARD CAN NOT BOOT FROM IDE HARD DRIVE

HARYANABOY

HELLO FRIENDS,

I HAVE BOUGHT AN NEW D865GBF MOTHERBOARD FROM A RETAIL STORE AND NOW I AM FACING TWO PROBLEMS,

1. IT IS BOOTING FROM SATA HARD DRIVE BUT SHOWS ERROR IF I BOOT MY IDE 320 GIGS SEGATE HARD DRIVE (IT WORKS OKAY WITH WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB GREEN SATA HARD DRIVE);

2ND IT AUTOMATICALLY STARTS ON POWER FAILER BUT IF I SHUT DOWN PROPERLY IT WORKS OKAY AND DO NOT RESTART AUTOMATICALLY,

WELL ITS OKAY FOR ME BUT IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN BOOT IT FROM MY IDE HARD DRIVE.

I HAVE GONE THROUGH ALL SETTINGS IN BIOS

TUTN ON LEGACY, ENHANCED

SATA PRIMARY PATA PRIMARY SECONDARY ETC.

PLS HELP ME FRIENDS I AM A NEW BIE

• 1. Re: INTEL D865GBF MOTHERBOARD CAN NOT BOOT FROM IDE HARD DRIVE
          mechbob

Two Questions ,One have you updates the chipset driver, two in the BIOS does it give you the option to change the BOOT Order?  If Not update the chipset & change the BOOT order to the drive with the OS on it .

• 2. Re: INTEL D865GBF MOTHERBOARD CAN NOT BOOT FROM IDE HARD DRIVE
            HARYANABOY

Sir,

Thanks for such an immidiate reply. Well as i have said i am pretty new to this. So you will have to teach me things in very basic ways.

i just give you the details of my chipset driver 8.3.1.1009 which is shown as current in the download center of intel drivers download utiliy.

in bios in disk drive configration all hard disk drives are shown and i went through all the setting as follows:

Currently using Enhance 

i also tried Legacy and try all the settings sata primary secondary pata primary secondary these were 6.

but when i try to boot from my ide hard drive error was select a boot media and windows not booted. also i went with fresh install of xp sp3 but after formatting and coping files windows reboots it says error cant boot from os.

I am sure you would reply soon.

Thanks for everything sir.

HaryanaBoy

• 3. Re: INTEL D865GBF MOTHERBOARD CAN NOT BOOT FROM IDE HARD DRIVE
              mechbob

Have you changed the BOOT Order so that the Ide drive is first in line , it sounds like you still have the SATA drive infront of the IDE drive.??

• 4. Re: INTEL D865GBF MOTHERBOARD CAN NOT BOOT FROM IDE HARD DRIVE
                HARYANABOY

I AM SORRY FOR BEING ON FORUMS SO LATELY. HAD LOTS OF WORK.

I SELECTED MY MY IDE HARD DRIVE AS FIRST BOOT DEVICE BEFORE TAKING ANY ACTION...

NO SUCCESS

TRIED EVERY POSSIBLE THING EXCEPT BIOS UPDATE.

• 5. Re: INTEL D865GBF MOTHERBOARD CAN NOT BOOT FROM IDE HARD DRIVE
                  mechbob

Does your board use Ribbon cables as well as SATA cables ??

• 6. Re: INTEL D865GBF MOTHERBOARD CAN NOT BOOT FROM IDE HARD DRIVE
                    mechbob

If so your Probability  Trying to use two controllers at the same time , The SATA is going to be SATA 1.5 , ( not3.0 ) But any I would run the OS of the SATA and run the DVD Burner off the Ribbon cable. That should work. If your stuck using that IDE Drive they make adaptors to convert the drive to SATA.

• 7. Re: INTEL D865GBF MOTHERBOARD CAN NOT BOOT FROM IDE HARD DRIVE
                      HARYANABOY

First of all i want to thank you for being so helpful, i have been on so many forums but hardly saw anyone like you who is so much supporting,

yeah brother i have both adapter sata as well as ribbon adapter for id, the ide dvd if attached to the socket works well but the only problem os can not boot from ide hard drive, i tried a fresh install of xp pro sp3 on ide hard drive and everything worked well but when after formatting procedure the winodws copies the files and configrations after format and restarts ,IT DOESNT WORK and SAYS OS error,

i even tried windows 7 and its says cant boot from this hard disk check controlers are set in the bios menu.

dont know what to do, but i am sure you would come with a good solution to me. also i am new to this stuff. a little simple procedure would be much helpful

THanks again ROBBERT GIFFORD

• 8. Re: INTEL D865GBF MOTHERBOARD CAN NOT BOOT FROM IDE HARD DRIVE
                        mechbob

Your mother has two controllers one for IDE and one for SATA , You will have to chose to use one or the other but not both, I would use the SATA for the Hard drives and the IDE Ribbon cables for the DVD Burner.

• 9. Re: INTEL D865GBF MOTHERBOARD CAN NOT BOOT FROM IDE HARD DRIVE

u can go sata  or  ucan just replace the  ide  cable  ot  trythat cable  i nthe  cd cable spot  cause  i have  been down that road  with alot  my  pcs  specaially  d865gbf  you can   also try  pull the  pin otu the  hdd  in the  cabke  seclect or  put in slave  it  still should boot try  do  a  bio recovery   pin   c  if that helps u on that  new mother board     the  d865gbf  is good  model use   i had  mine  for  yrs now  it  still run until thermial over heat  which was  a  retention clip broke so i drill hold and  use fresh thermial  grease aand  a  counter pin in that hole   to make a  tight  fit  since  i did that  seem run leik   10 degrees cooler