4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2011 5:14 PM by GravyJones

D102GGC2 Updated to latest BIOS, does the board support more than 2GB Ram now?

GravyJones

My D102GGC2 is updated to latest BIOS (using GC11020M.86A.1087.EB.EXE), does the board now support more than 2GB RAM?

FYI - The updating process of the W6409 eMachines went smoothly.  I upgraded from GC11020m.15A.2010.2006.0817.0956.  I am glad to report that the boot screen has a nice Intel logo, which is much cooler than a big lower case "e".  I also have more features to play with, such as memory overclocking.

Also, I ordered a Pentium-D 945 3.4 GHz with 2x2 cache (for $69 + shipping via Compuvest.com).  I'll report whether it works or not.  It is supposed to but you never know about these things...

Thanks,

Andy

• 1. Re: D102GGC2 Updated to latest BIOS, does the board support more than 2GB Ram now?
          JasonACS

does the board now support more than 2GB RAM?

Unfortunately not.  It also doesn't support 2GB modules.  Even single-sided 1GB modules proved difficult in my experience.

Also, I ordered a Pentium-D 945 3.4 GHz with 2x2 cache (for $69 + shipping via Compuvest.com).  I'll report whether it works or not.  It is supposed to but you never know about these things...

It is supported by the board.  It has a very high power consumption, so don't forget about your power supply.

I'm not sure what OS you plan on using, but Intel doesn't provide 7 support for this board, although I have not tried myself.  I do have experience running XP with this board, but beware, the (old) Intel-provided drivers have serious performance problems.  It's also difficult to find Xpress 200 drivers on the AMD site.  My advice is to google the filenames 9-3_xp32_dd.exe (display) and 9-3_xp32-64_sb.exe (southbridge).

• 2. Re: D102GGC2 Updated to latest BIOS, does the board support more than 2GB Ram now?
            GravyJones

Thanks for the reply.  I am running XP SP3 and I do have a 2GB memory module in place.  I think my PSU has 450 watts of power and I am running a GeForce GT 430 VGA.  It doesn't require external power and it has 1 GB of memory and is made by Zotac.  It is very nice for what I paid.  It does Dolby True HD audio and I use the HDMI out to feed both Video and Audio into my Sony receiver.  The receiver has a HDMI monitor out to my Sony TV.  I run it at 1080p and it blows me away for Flight Simulator X and IL-2 WWII. The audio comes through uncompressed at 192KHz and music sounds amazing.  I'm still with XP and am glad now because of its superior ability for audio, compared to Vista or 7.

Thanks for confirming the CPU.  Can you please help me understand these drivers you are recommending?  The north and south bridge ones?

• 3. Re: D102GGC2 Updated to latest BIOS, does the board support more than 2GB Ram now?
              JasonACS

Since you have a dedicated video card, you do not need to install the display driver I mentioned.  Furthermore, you can disregard my comments about driver performance problems.

• 4. Re: D102GGC2 Updated to latest BIOS, does the board support more than 2GB Ram now?
                GravyJones

Thanks for your input and I found it valuable.