13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 12:49 AM by Doc_SilverCreek

S5000VCL warning

DanAvni

i have a  SR1530CLR server with S5000VCL board inside. on the front panel the server flashes the warning light in amber but the bios logs show no error. i can i find out what the problem is?

• 1. Re: S5000VCL warning
          edwardzh

Download and run SEL Viewer utility to check the System Event Log for related errors.

• 2. Re: S5000VCL warning

Hi Edward,

thanks for the quick reply.

the error SEL is showing is this

Num :  434

Time Stamp :  02/27/2011-16:38:27

Sensor Type & Number :  Voltage /BB +1.2V Vtt (#0x10)

Event Description :  Warning event: BB +1.2V Vtt reports the sensor is in a low, but non-critical, and going lower state.  Sensor reading: 1.1025 Volts.  Threshold value: 1.134 Volts.

Generator ID :  BMC - LUN #0 (Channel #00h)

Num :  437

Time Stamp :  02/27/2011-16:38:53

Event Description :  CRITICAL event: BB +1.2V Vtt reports the sensor is in a low, critical, and going lower state.  Sensor reading: 1.0962 Volts.  Threshold value: 1.0962 Volts.

any idea how to solve this?

• 3. Re: S5000VCL warning
              edwardzh

It seems your system is not loaded with latest BIOS/Firmware. The board is giving 1.1 Volts, but BMC is expecting 1.2V.

You can try to download and install latest BIOS/Firmware. There are two methods to update, DOS or IDA/OFU. Both will get you the same BIOS/firmware version.

• 4. Re: S5000VCL warning
                DanAvni

Hi Edward,

i updated the firmware but still the warning led flashes.

the errors in SEL are

Num :  38

Time Stamp :  03/03/2011-13:23:32

Event Description :  Informational event: BB +1.2V Vtt reports the sensor is no longer in a low non-critical state.  Sensor reading: 1.1025 Volts.  Threshold value: 1.134 Volts.

Num :  39

Time Stamp :  03/03/2011-13:23:32

Event Description :  Informational event: BB +1.2V Vtt reports the sensor is no longer in a critically low state.  Sensor reading: 1.1025 Volts.  Threshold value: 1.0962 Volts.

Num :  40

Time Stamp :  03/03/2011-13:23:33

Event Description :  Warning event: BB +1.2V Vtt reports the sensor is in a low, but non-critical, and going lower state.  Sensor reading: 1.1025 Volts.  Threshold value: 1.134 Volts.

Num :  43

Time Stamp :  03/03/2011-13:24:22

Event Description :  CRITICAL event: BB +1.2V Vtt reports the sensor is in a low, critical, and going lower state.  Sensor reading: 1.0962 Volts.  Threshold value: 1.0962 Volts.

any ideas?

• 5. Re: S5000VCL warning
                  Doc_SilverCreek

Long answer to Edwards short answer:

What revision of mother board (-XXX on the part number label or in the system info tab in BIOS setup) and what processors are you using?

Intel released a "refreshed" version (Which is what the "R" at the end stands for so you should be good) of the mother board to support both processors. The original only was able to do 1.2v.

Clovertown (x53xx) processor have a Vtt requirement of 1.2v

The follow on processor  Harpertown (x54xx) has a Vtt requirement of 1.1v

From you SEL log, it apears you have Harpertown processors and the newer board which has switched to 1.1v

Informational event: BB +1.2V Vtt reports the sensor is no longer in a low non-critical state.  Sensor reading: 1.1025 Volts.

If this is the case, the FRUSDR has not been updated so the Sensor Data Record still thinks it is suppost to be at 1.2v so it is flaging the voltage. (and your fans are likley running full speed)

If this is not the case and you are using clovertown processors, the board is incorrectly shifting the CPU Vtt voltage which could be a hardware issue on the board, or a bent processor pin.

• 6. Re: S5000VCL warning
                    DanAvni

here is my system info

E5420

Board part number: D41874-701

BMC 0.64

HSC 0.00

SDR Package 18

from your answer below i assume i need to update the SDR. how do i do that?

• 7. Re: S5000VCL warning
                      Doc_SilverCreek

Ok, Now it gets sticky...

From your data, it appears you are at SDR 18.

So unless you update the code on old processors the switched to the E5420, it should have reset the sensor range.

I can think of a couple things to try

1) Using SELview, clear the SEL log so we have a fresh start.

2) AC cycle the system and see if that clears the LED.

3) Check the SEL again to see if we are still getting the same error.

4) If your using the DOS update version, run the CLUPD.bat and select the "Update only the SDRs" option

During the update you should see it report "Processor 1: Quad-Core Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor 5400 Series Present" or is it reporting a different processor?

( 4 is a couple right?)

• 8. Re: S5000VCL warning
                        DanAvni

I already cleared the SEL log a few days ago and the errors returned

the server was completely disconnected from AC for a few days and the error is still there

i did not use the DOS update version. can i boot into win PE and use it from there? i have no other way i can think of to boot into DOS. if you have other ideas on how to load DOS i am open for suggestions.

• 9. Re: S5000VCL warning
                          edwardzh

Here's some information about making a bootable DOS USB key:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/cs-025619.htm

To update FRU/SDR, boot to DOS and run:

frusdr.exe /cfg master.cfg

• 10. Re: S5000VCL warning
                            Doc_SilverCreek

The DOS version will not work from PE.

You can use the OFU version from PE. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/16921/eng/S5000_WinPE.zip&lang=eng&Dwnldid=16921

It just does not have a SDR only update batch file, but you can run it from the command prompt.

C:\WinPE_frusdr_V104_B7\x86\frusdr /cfg c:\whereeverthecodeis\master.cfg

• 11. Re: S5000VCL warning
                              DanAvni

i ended up making a DOS bootable CD and updated the SDR which solved the problem.

i just  want to understand something: in the BIOS system info i see that the SDR is 18 after the update and it was also 18 before the update so what exactly changed?

• 12. Re: S5000VCL warning
                                Doc_SilverCreek

(I have no Idea)

Making a guess, I would say when the update tool was polling the hardware for the update, something failed to respond or timed out. (BMC busy for some reason?)  Did you notice anything different when you flashed the second time than the first time through? Menu and messages should have been the same.
                                The timeout caused the hardware probing flags (or at least the processor ID flag) to not get set and skip that section of the SDR loading and leave the shipping defaults in place and only updating the revision header.

I have never seen this happen, but it is that or you flashed the system with 51xx or 53xx processors installed then switching to 54xx processors as a processor upgrade.

Since whatever was busy the first time had cleared when you re-flashed the SDR's, it probed the hardware correctly and set the correct SDR's on the second attempt.

As I said, no idea if this is what happened, but that is about all I can think of the could cause it.

• 13. Re: S5000VCL warning
                                  DanAvni

the warning started to flash a long time ago while the server was in our server farm. just recently i was able to pull it out of there for maintenance. i can tell for sure that the warning light was not on when we installed the server a few years ago and while the server was installed the firmware was not updated at all.

i can also tell for sure (and it has been proven many times) that if there is a chance for a bug i will always encounter it and usually i am the first one to encounter the bug (just my luck...) :-)

thanks for all your help