1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 11:04 AM by RaymondDay

S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST

Blackvelvet

Hello everyone,

A couple of days ago i assembled a workstation PC, configured as follows:

- Motherboard: Intel S5520SC Shady Cove

- CPU: 2x Intel Xeon X5650 2,66 GHz

- CPU Fans: 2x Cooler Master V8

- HDD: Western Digital WD5000AAKX 500Gb 16Mb SATA600 7200Rpm (Set in RAID 0)

- SSD: OCZ 100GB PCI-E X4 REVO DRIVE X2 SERIES

- Graphics card: ASUS GTX580 1536MB DDR5 PCI-E

- PSU: Corsair HX1000W

- RAM: Patriot Triple Channel DDR3 24GB PC10666 1333Mhz VIPER II SECTOR 7 SERIES

- Case: NZXT PHANTOM BLACK

- Monitor: SAMSUNG BX2431 LED 24 INCH WIDE LCD SCREEN

- DVD Drive: SAMSUNG SH-S223C SATA 22X DVD-RW

The problem i have is this:

When i push the power button the computer starts but the monitor stays at black screen (no signal).

After approx. 35 seconds the POST begins, the screen comes on and boots normal. This problem has been occurring from the beginning.

I tried a few things after my searches on the internet:

- Disable Intel Boot Agent.

- Setting the HDD or SSD first in BIOS booting options.

- Installed the newest motherboard chipset drivers + graphics card drivers.

- Tried another graphics card.

- Tried another monitor on the DVI port.

- Replaced the RAM into different DIMM slots.

- Stripped everything from the motherboard till there is just a single RAM and the CPU's.

- Installed Windows 7 64Bit on the SSD an tried also the HDD.

- Disabled some BOOT options (like the Boot agent and the USB Primary boot).

- Updating the BIOS firmware.

- CMOS clearing with the jumper on the motherboard.

I'm out of ideas...

Can someone help me out here?

Kind regards,

Jelle

• 1. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST
          Doc_SilverCreek

SOrry to here you put so much effort into this.

For your configuration, the time sounds about right. (Working as designed.)

The high End workstation does a lot of system checking and configuration on power up to make sure nothing is bad.

This includes scaning CPU QPI calabration/ training, USB, HDD/ Raids,PCIe bus and memory, then it starts showing video

There are a couple  POST time scenarios.

1) AC power up = Auto power on .

When AC is applied to the system, the BMC (base board management controller) boots and runs some minor system checks)

If you press the power-on button before the BMC completes or if you have the system configured to "RESET" on AC failure, the POST will start (as indicated by the green LEDs on the back) but it will stop till the BMC reports it is ready.

Time to first video =  ~   1 min 24 sec.  (starts beeping during it's USB scan at ~ 50 sec.)

2) AC already up - front pannel power -on.

System still scans the hardware configutation and will start beeping for the USB scan ~ 35 seconds with video ~ 1 min.

Times will vary with configuration.

(I don't have anywhere near the amount of memory your using (Plus in  POST time), or as nice a video card (could impact +/-), but I have every USB device you can think of attached (big plus in POST time), I am running faster processors (minus in POST time.) and raid (which is a slight plus to POST time)

Disabling unused devices will speed things slightly, but usuallly in the POST time after video starts.

• 2. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST
            Blackvelvet

Thx for the reply!

I'm relieved when i hear this is the normal timing, but i'm a bit disappointed because the SSD won't have his full purpose..

But this problem is luckily not a big thing..

Thx for the help!

Greetz,

Jelle

• 3. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST

Could you please tell me how you succeeded in booting from the RevoDrive x2 100Gb PCI-e? I have still not found an option that works because Windows 7 x64 cannot find the (signed`0 drivers on my USB so I cannot install to the RevoDrive.

I hope you can help me!

Thanks in advance!!!

Henk

(The Netherlands)

• 4. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST
                Doc_SilverCreek

ocz2.jpg

Have you download the newest drivers from OZC?

http://www.ocztechnology.com/drivers/RevoDrive_and_RevoDrive_X2/

And did you get the 64 bit or 32 bit drivers?

Win 7 x64 is very fussy when it comes to correctly signed drivers.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744517(WS.10).aspx

• 5. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST

I have switched the ssd pci-e with another pci-e card and now everything works fine. Windows 7-x64 is installing... Pfffff, sometimes trail and error seems the only way to deal with computer problems!

On the other hand, would it not be better to use the ssd only for pagefile instead of the entire OS? What would be the best and fastest working configuration (NOT the fastest startup)?

• 6. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST

hi ,can you explain me what exactly you do with the auxiliary power connector on this board?

i have the same compilation and my hx1000 dont have this connector...

About my revo now, in bios i can see him ,when i start the format i load the drivers from the usb stick and all ok ,but....instalation always freeze in "completing installation" ,any idea what happent? i try win7 x64 by the way

thanx

• 7. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST
                      Doc_SilverCreek

about 3 or 4 fixes now.

The embedded network driver in W2008r2 or Win7 is the problem.

Option 1

connect a network cable between both network ports together and the install should complete.

Update network drivers to latest package.

Option 2

Update BIOS to current stack and then load defaults.

Enable AER in PCI and install will complete

Option 3

When loading OS, at the HDD screen, Select add driver and point it to the newest network driver package you and down load to a USB stick

The new network driver will load and install should complete.

Option 4

Leave it run -- The install will complete (in about 8 hours)

The update to the newest NIC drivers since system will be incredibly slow until they are installed.

Aux Power connector -- Assumong you mean the 5 wire small plug has 2 functions.

1) BMC power supply management (therimals, fan speed , predictive failure, etc)

2) 3.3v fead back to improve PS regulation

Both are optional

• 8. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST

Thanx for your reply was very very helpful

So i choose to update my BIOS from the deploymment cd ,connect to intel and find the latest updates ,update goes well ,system restart etg etg .After an hour i shut down the machine and from then until now power switch dont work ,machine turn on alone and ...no boot .i listen 2 beeps ,no screen not nothing..

Its obviously BIOS crash ,and my question is HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? Because before the crash and after the apdate i went in bios i see new options and all work properly.I download and write in usb flash the bios recovery pack ,i change the jumper place NOTHING ,system dont boot ,actually system dont work ,except the fans and the green lamps on mobo.

Please dont say me that i must put my mobo in garbages

• 9. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST
                          Doc_SilverCreek

Hmm, 2 Beeps ?

When you power on, do the POST LEDs on the rear move \ stop on any single combination?

2 beeps is not an normal POST error.

2 beeps sounds more like the normal USB device scan.

I am thinking maybe a issue with the video card / video cable / monitor or a CMOS configuration error?

Try pressing the power button-on and at the 2 beeps press F2 (repeatedly say 20 times)

Press F9 - enter F10 enter.

That should load the defaults (if the system is booting)

You could also try the clear CMOS jumper on the mother board.

• 10. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST

Thanx for your replies Doc i really appreciate it .So i do all and nothing happent ,USBs dont work ,the computer turn on alone ,i close him from psu...nothing appear on screen  ,i disconnect everything (ram ,cpus ,front panel cables ,cmos battery  etg etg ) nothing, the 2 beeps error dont change at all ,im affraid thats the end ..theres nothing else  i can do ,if somebody can fix my day im all ears

• 11. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST

I forget say that theres no combination of green lights at the back  ,only the warnig light like orange color or something wihtout blinking...

• 12. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST
                                Doc_SilverCreek

Do you happen to know the S-SPEC number on your processors?

(See the TPS manual for all the steps)

a. Clear CMOS via jumper

b. You could try BIOS recovery, The steps a lot of folks miss.

1) Need to be a bootable USB stick for recovery. (No Idea why, since it is not going to boot to it)

2) All the recovery files need to be in the root directory of the USB stick.

3) The STARTUP.nsh needs to be edditied to the R00xxREC.cap (where xx is the BIOS version you started at)

4) almost nothing will appear to happen durring recovery. The USB device will flash a few times and then nothing till it is done. Give it ~ 30 minutes before you deside it did not work. (takes anout 15 but it is good to give it twoce as long as it takes)

c. if you look in the system, any yellow LED lit by the processors or memory?

• 13. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST

I think we have progress here,if i completly remove the cmos jumper the front panel lights up and now i have 3 beeps ,maybe the battery is the problem? anyway in this situation i start think all the possible reasons .About the recovery bios i allready try but its not possible because usb dont work at all

• 14. Re: S5520SC Long start up time before going into POST

S-spec for both cpus is  SLBV4

1 2 Previous Next