3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 1:51 PM by jrusso1

Does the DX58SO2 mother board support boot over PCI-E?

jrusso1

I am trying to use a OCZ RevoDrive X2 drive as my OS drive. When I try to install Windows no device is seen. The BIOIS does not seem to have an option to boot over PCI-E. I have version SOX5820J.86A.0603 of the BIOS.

Based on other descisions I think the answer is yes, but no one explans how to get it to work. What do I need to do to get this board to see the drive?

• 1. Re: Does the DX58SO2 mother board support boot over PCI-E?
          mechbob

You may have to install the drive in another computer and Initialize it and format it to get the BIOS to reconize it.

• 2. Re: Does the DX58SO2 mother board support boot over PCI-E?
            jrusso1

For those of you that are interested in this discussion, yes the DX58S02 motherboard does support boot over PCI-E. Here is what I had to do to get it to work with an OCZ RevoDrive X2 drive.

1. Download      the RevoDrive X2 drivers from the OCZ website and put them on a USB drive.
            2. Install      the RevoDrive X2 into a PCI-E slot.
            3. On      boot hit F2 and go into configuration. Set the SATA ports to ACHI. This has      to be done, so the PCI-E drive and the SATA driver can both load. It is my      understanding that there is limited RAM on the motherboard. Setting the      SATA ports to RAID takes too much space and the OCZ drive will not be      seen. See OCZ’s website for more details and a much better explanation.
            4. I would avoid the blue SATA III ports at      all costs, but that is a different discussion. Save yourself lots of grief      and just disable them.
            5. Put      the Windows CD into the DVD drive and reboot. When you get to the screen      that says no drives found insert the USB drive and click Have Disk. Navigate      to the USB drive and load the OCZ drivers. All was good after that.
            • 3. Re: Does the DX58SO2 mother board support boot over PCI-E?
              jrusso1

I received email asking me to elaborate on my SATA 3 issues.

Once the PC was up and running I attached 2 SATA 3 devices. A SATA 3 Western Digital Black drive and a Crucial C300 SSD. Here is a list of my issues.

1. I      updated the drivers.
              2. The      SSD would occasionally not be seen on reboot.
              3. I      copied my data to the 2 TB WD hard drive. I noticed a file was corrupted.      The date, time and size of the file was correct, but the checksum was not.      After a full diff of my data comparing against the originals, I found 100’s      of files like this. At this point I gave up. I moved the devices to the      SATA 2 ports and all was better. I copied the data from sources again, because I did not      trust it. All seems OK on the SATA 2 ports.