5 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2012 10:32 PM by t0mn8r RSS

EP45 Chipset

t0mn8r Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Team,

I have noticed some curious behavior regarding the EP45 chipset and  I am wondering if anybody else has experienced this:

I run two Gigabyte motherboards, a GA-EP45-DQ6 and a GA-EP45-EXTREME. Once every two or three weeks the secondary disk drives, either on or both of them, drop off the system altogether. They are not visible at boot time or in the OS.

A complete powerdown is required (i.e. unplugged from the wall and flushed by holding down the power button) to bring them back. There are no error messages and no errors on the drives.

This sounds to me like the same issue discovered on the x67 chipset as it mimics this behavior.

Just curious...

• 1. Re: EP45 Chipset
    parsec Community Member

Both of your Gigabyte mother boards use the Intel ICH10R I/O Controller Hub (ICH), which is the chip that controls the SATA interfaces, among other things.

The ICH10R has been the workhorse and best ICH-style chip that Intel provides for SATA duties, and has been in use for quite a while now.  I am not aware of any problems with the ICH10R.  That you are able to recover the detection of your drives would not seem to be exactly the same issue as the Cougar Point chipsets, which are supposed to fail completely when and if they do.

I have three mother boards that use the ICH10R, and have never experienced the problem you are having.

But, I see your 'DQ6 mother board has a "GIGABYTE SATA2" chipset for addtional SATA connections, and your 'EXTREME mother board has an iTE chipset for additional IDE drive connections.  You should verify which interface/connectors the drives you are having issues with are using, they might not be on the ICH10R chip SATA connectors.  The manuals for your mother boards should identify which connectors are used for the different chipsets.

• 2. Re: EP45 Chipset
    t0mn8r Community Member

parsec,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My HDD are all plugged into the Intel slots. The Gigabyte SATA slots are not for ordinary use but are rather for backup, I believe.

I have searched for this issue (Google is your friend)  but noone else is reporting this issue. Perhaps they think the HDD is broken...

• 3. Re: EP45 Chipset
    parsec Community Member

Ok good, that Gigabyte interface is not very good according to what I've read.

So next, when did you last load drivers or INF files for your boards?  I have a Gigabyte mother board too, with a P45/ICH10 chipset, and I notice they don't update the driver downloads very often if at all.  You might want to try downloading the Intel driver for the ICH10R chip from Intel's web site.

I haven't seen your problem on my Gigabyte mother board, and I use two HDDs besides the OS drive.  So, unless you are have a RAID array that is glitching, I don't know what is going wrong in your PC.

• 4. Re: EP45 Chipset
    t0mn8r Community Member

parsec,

Again thanks for the quick reply.

I always install the latest Intel chipset drivers when I do a clean install. Both motherboards were on 9.2.0.1021 downloaded from the Intel web site.

My drives are not RAIDed.

I'm not really looking for an answer or a fix but I just wanted to see if anybody else is having a similar issue.

• 5. Re: EP45 Chipset
    t0mn8r Community Member

Hi parsec! Long time between messages but here goes nothing:

As noted above, this issue is not just related to the EP45 chipset but rather the ICH10R.

Since the last time I have installed and supported the following Intel based motherboards:

ASUS P6X58D-E

Gigabyte

GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3

GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3

GA-Z68X-UD7-B3

GA-X79-UD3

which all, I believe, use the ICH10R chipset. Most of the installations are using a RAID-0 configuration using AHCI. Most of the above installations are Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

The following behaviour is noted:

On the average once a month the disks plugged into the ICH10R slots disappear. Neither a soft nor a hard reset work. The only way to get the correct configuration back is to unplug the PC from the powerpoint (no, not the presentation...just a little humour... ), press the power button on the PC to discharge any remaining power and then replug the power and reboot. This process works every time.

Checking in the BIOS the disks are still visible, just not accessible.

I am pretty sure that others have experienced the same behaviour but do not necessarily know the above workaround.

I am more than happy to provide further information.

Kind regards,

Tom Desi

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points