1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 17, 2011 3:48 AM by

Problems with software restart on DG43GT

JohnE

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here so forgive me if it is not set out correctly.  I have installed a new motherboard DG43GT (replacing an ASUS motherboard) and refitted all the previous component.  The whole system boots and works correctly.  However, whenever any application installs an update and requires a restart, the system powers up but fails to get beyond the initial blue Intel screen.  It hangs there for a long time until I do a forced shutdown.  After that, I restart it and it boots correctly.

The initial blue screen seems to connected with something called the Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension but I have never come across this before.  I have looked at what it contains but cannot see anything obviously wrong.  Anyway, it runs well enough when powering up from scratch.  I have checked all the BIOS settings and they seem to be correct.  Has anyone any idea what might be causing this very annoying feature and how I fix it?

I have tried downloading the Intel Integration Assistant software but that hangs also and does not install.

The system is an HP m8180-uk-a as orginally sold but now with an Intel motherboard and RAM increased to 6 Gb.  The detailed spec is:

Motherboard:  Intel DG43GT

CPU:  Intel Q6600 quad core 2.4 GHz

RAM:  6 Gb DDR2 (part 800, part 667 so all running at 667)

HDD: Samsung 1Tb SATA

DVD drive: Samsung SATA

Graphics card: ASUS with nVidia 8600GT and dedicated 512 Mb RAM

Internet Security: Norton 360 ver. 4

If anyone has any thoughts about what might be causing this problem, I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Thanks,

John

Message was edited by: JohnE PS.  Sorry, I should have added that when it hangs after a soft restart, there is a small black box in the bottom right hand corner of the splash screen which displays the number 50.

• 1. Re: Problems with software restart on DG43GT

This is a follow up-message for anyone who has a similar problem and who reads this.  I have discovered a solution to the problem but it is unlikely to be one that you would stumble upon by chance.

I have 4 memory modules, two of which came with the computer originally and the other two were added later.  They come from different manufacturers. I had the 2 x 2 Gb newer modules installed as DIMM 0 Channels A and B and the 2 x 1 Gb older modules installed as DIMM 1 Channels A and B.  I reversed the order so that the older modules were installed as DIMM 0 and the problem disappeared.

Why it should be that some brands of module are detected differently to others is very odd.

I hope this might help someone.

John