6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2012 9:57 AM by Barry Secrest Branched from an earlier discussion.

Partition Size after Imaging

I have the Intel 160 gig SSD and its more or less brand new just a few weeks off the retail shelf and I image copied a laptop hard drive.

But doing an image copy of the hard drive made the exact copy of the hard drive that spins (source) to my 160 gig SSD hard drive.

Ok so no issues there as it works perfectly but only shows as 32 gig.

Ok with the above known then all I should be able to do is then use a partition program to either expand or create a new partition to

use up the remaining unused space(about 130 gig left)

Well that is not what happen.   All programs that Intell offer me and even third party programs such as Acronis or Partition Majic

All show my 160 gig hard drive as a true 32 gig hard drive and I am so livid right now.

I used the Aleratec hard drive duplicator.

So I put in anotehr 160 gig as the source and the original 160 gig that shows as 32 as destination and even that refuses to put my 160 gig

hard drive back to normal....

So now I feel I wasted $450 on my Intel 160gig SSD hard drive.

Even HDDerase sees my ssd as  32gig not 160........   im lost guys

I even flashed it to latest revision   no luck.

• 1. Re: Partition Size after Imaging
          DuckieHo

Inachu, I have moved your post to a new thread as it is a seperate issue.

What was the OS partition size when it was on the HDD?  Was it 32GB?

If not, how did the imaging program come up with 32GB and how was the partition reduced?

If you open up Disk Management, does it recognize that your SSD has ~120GB unpartitioned?

• 2. Re: Partition Size after Imaging

Inachu, I have moved your post to a new thread as it is a seperate issue.

What was the OS partition size when it was on the HDD?  Was it 32GB?

If not, how did the imaging program come up with 32GB and how was the partition reduced?

If you open up Disk Management, does it recognize that your SSD has ~120GB unpartitioned?

No it did not see any unpartitioned space at all. Sad...so sad.(weird too!)

I used the hardware soloution :

Aleratec   www.aleratec.com   It lets you put 2 two drives and use it as a external drive bay or

if you hold the DUP button for 3 seconds  it becomes a disk duplicator.

The source as I told you was the 32 gig laptop sata drive and the destination was my intel SSD 160 gig drive.

And it works great but shows no unpartitioned unused......I tried severeal retail and free programs and they all see it as a 32 gig hard drive.

I should say I put in a desktop hard drive and it's size was stated as 40 gig and it successfully copied to the SSD but when I check the SSD size now it shows as 34 gig with 2 gig free space.     But then I try a sata 160gig  WD drive(5400 rpm) as source and my Intel 160gig ssd as destination and it does not work as it errors out with blue light blinking meaning its a smaller drive.     I email Aleratec and they have yet to reply back to me.

So I thought INTEL must have a super duper low level format tool.... I mean common they make hard drives!

I did slaving the 160 GIG Intel drive as a USB drive but the INTEL TOOL does not recognise the drive even though WIndows does see it in MY COMPUTER.

• 3. Re: Partition Size after Imaging
              Michael1966

Why did you not just copy the documents you wanted saved over to the Intel drive? SSD's are best used simply as OS drives. They were never intended to be external hard disks which is more or less what you have used it for.

• 4. Re: Partition Size after Imaging
                mistermokkori

obviously, this is the hardware duplicator's fault, and not intel's.

try this tool to restore the full capacity:

http://hddguru.com/software/2007.07.20-HDD-Capacity-Restore-Tool/

• 5. Re: Partition Size after Imaging
                  DuckieHo

No it did not see any unpartitioned space at all. Sad...so sad.(weird too!)

I used the hardware soloution :

Aleratec   www.aleratec.com   It lets you put 2 two drives and use it as a external drive bay or

if you hold the DUP button for 3 seconds  it becomes a disk duplicator.

The source as I told you was the 32 gig laptop sata drive and the destination was my intel SSD 160 gig drive.

And it works great but shows no unpartitioned unused......I tried severeal retail and free programs and they all see it as a 32 gig hard drive.

I should say I put in a desktop hard drive and it's size was stated as 40 gig and it successfully copied to the SSD but when I check the SSD size now it shows as 34 gig with 2 gig free space.     But then I try a sata 160gig  WD drive(5400 rpm) as source and my Intel 160gig ssd as destination and it does not work as it errors out with blue light blinking meaning its a smaller drive.     I email Aleratec and they have yet to reply back to me.

So I thought INTEL must have a super duper low level format tool.... I mean common they make hard drives!

I did slaving the 160 GIG Intel drive as a USB drive but the INTEL TOOL does not recognise the drive even though WIndows does see it in MY COMPUTER.

Intel has never made a HDD...

Can you just reformat the SSD and plug it into another computer as a non-primary drive?  Now check how much space is available.

It sounds like the issue is resulting from the imaging/duplication process and not really a fault of Intel.  Instead of running around trying to figure what happen, let's just start again and try to get to what you want to achieve.

1) Wipe the drive.

2) Hook up the 32GB laptop HDDs to the same PC as the SSD

3) Run the Intel Migration tool

4) Resize the partition (if you want)

5) Wait.

• 6. Re: Partition Size after Imaging
                    Barry Secrest

I had a similar problem (80GB showing as 35GB) and it is now solved.  I used the Capacity Restore Tool by HDD guru mentioned in a prior post.  I had to change my bios for the SATA drive to be in a different mode so that the tool would find the drive, but once it did, it had no problem restoring my drive to 80GB.  Now I'm imaging it using the intel tool.  A few days of frustration, but I'm happy now.