0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2011 12:22 AM by platypus

Recovering from incorrectly setting BIOS to AHCI from RAID/IDE on ICH9R system

platypus

I have done something wrong and hopefully can correct the situation. Any advice would be GREATLY appeciated.

I  have a Gigabyte EP35-DS3P (F6A) motherboard which has an ICH9R controller.

The following disk drives are attached to the motherboard:

Onboard SATA/IDE

- Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB HDD (IDE Mode)

ICH9R

- Maxtor STM3100034AS 1 TB HDD

5 of these Maxtor HDDs are configured for RAID 5. The remaining drive is a standalone drive (Port 04). Everything is fine.

Windows 7 x64 has been installed on the Seagate drive. Intel Rapid Storage Technology Manager 9.6.0.1014 is installed. Everything is fine.

So I bought a new A-RAM ARSSD56GBP 256GB SSD which I installed on the SATA/IDE onboard controller. Plan is to boot and run Windows 7 x64 off the SSD.

So I install the A-RAM. Now I need to change the BIOS so that it runs using AHCI mode.

Because I am not paying attention I incorrectly configure the BIOS so that the SATA RAID/AHCI Mode runs in AHCI mode (instead of RAID/IDE). I should have configured the Onboard SATA/IDE Device to be AHCI (instead of of IDE).

I reboot the computer.

Everything is not fine.

Obviously the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager is telling me that the 5 Maxtor HDDs are now running in AHCI mode, not RAID.

I notice this as the computer is booting and shutdown the computer. (Windows 7 might have started to boot, but we never booted into it.)

I change the BIOS setting back so that the SATA RAID/AHCI Mode is back to RAID mode and reboot the computer.

Everything is definitely not fine.

So I am getting the following:

Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, Version iSrc 1.07 08042006

Copyright ...

Controller Bus#00, Device#1F, Function#02: 06 Ports, 06 Devices

Port-00: Hard Disk, MAXTOR STM31000340AS

(Drive is controlled by the RAID BIOS)

... -- Same for the remaining 5 drives

AHCI BIOS not installed

Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager option ROM v7.5.0.1017 ICH9R wRAID5

Copyright...

RAID Volumes:

IDNameLevelStripSizeStatusBootable
      0RAID5RAID5(Parity)64KB3726.0GBFailedNo

Physical Drives

PortDrive ModelSerial #SizeType/Status(Vol ID)
      0MAXTOR STM310003...931.5GBNon-RAID Disk
      1MAXTOR STM310003...931.5GBNon-RAID Disk
      2MAXTOR STM310003...931.5GBNon-RAID Disk
      3MAXTOR STM310003...931.5GBNon-RAID Disk
      4MAXTOR STM310003...931.5GBNon-RAID Disk
      5MAXTOR STM310003...931.5GBMember Disk(0)

So I know I should not have done what I did.

But I am surprised that when I changed the settings back to what they were it has come up with the RAID 5 array Failed and only one member disk. Surely the "signatures" on the disks, etc (or whatever is being used) should be fine. I have not booted into Windows yet.

I would have thought that the worst case would have been for the RAID 5 array to come back as Degraded.

Can anyone suggest a course of action as to what to do to ensure that I have my RAID 5 array back?

Or, failing that, how to salvage it? I only had about 20-50 GB worth of large files there.

The data and parity should be fine, I expect the "signatures" or whatever are wrong.

Can I try doing something like this:

1. Drop last HDD that's still a member from the RAID5 array.

2. Either add all 5 orginal drives back to RAID5 array, or if that fails create a new RAID 5 array and add the same drive back (in same order)

3. Once I have added those 5 drives turn off the computer. The theory is that we have bound those 5 drives into the RAID5 array

4. Theory is upon reboot the drives are in the RAID5 array, but it is degraded.

5. Run the rebuild process.

Many thanks in advance,

Victor