Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

RS2BL080 RAID Controller Connection Best Practice

idata
Employee

We are trying to configure an RS2BL080.

Parts:

Motherboard - S5520HC

Chassis - SC5600LX

Four drive expander backplane

Six drive expander backplane

RAID level - 50

My question is what is the best practice to connect the cables from the RAID controller to the expander backplanes? Do I connect one cable to JT6 Ports 0-3 on the controller then the four SAS connectors two to each expander backplane or should I use one separate cable for each individual expander backplane? Example: JT6 Port 0-3 on the controller then two SAS connectors to the six drive expander backplane and a second cable to JT7 ports 4-7 on the controller and two SAS connectors the the four drive expander backplane. I hope this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

diamondcomics,

It makes no difference. You have eight ports available on the RS2BL080. Four ports from each SFF-8087 connector. The expander backplanes each have two ports. Whether you connect each two expander ports to one SFF-8087 or two, you'll still be using four ports for both expander backplanes. One thing to consider, using a single cable would clean up the installation by not having four unused cables to contend with.

Regards,

John
0 Kudos