4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 9:31 AM by parsec

DG45ID Error Codes

denbu

I put the system together (E6750, DG45ID, 2Gb Mushkin) and it was functioning perfectly, up until I did three things at once. I created a RAID 0, installed Windows 7 64bit, and I installed an Ageia Physx Card in a PCIe x1 slot.

Now I am receiving on the lower right side of the POST screen, codes 50, 51, and EB. Since Windows installation restart, I got these codes, and the SATA DVD-Rom does not show up on Bios. I'd have liked to get the PC fixed without delay, but I'm not sure what to do about or diagnose these problems. Any advice to get this fixed would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: DG45ID Error Codes
          denbu

I looked around, and I get the impression these codes are a good reason to RMA.

• 2. Re: DG45ID Error Codes
            Flying_Kiwi

denbu wrote:

I looked around, and I get the impression these codes are a good reason to RMA.

How do you know a replacement board will be any different? Before assuming you have a fault with your DG45ID why not try and eliminate the more likely culprits and do a bit of updating? Check to ensure that you have all the latest on Intels website for the board - starting with the latest BIOS version (flash it using the express method if you're unfamiliar with such things and that's possible), then all the latest drivers for your chipset, ME Engine, graphics and audio etc.

Is that card actually compatible with the G45 graphics on this board? You'd need to liaise with the manufacturers and/or check on their website. If not, then you *may* need to install a discrete compatible graphics card.

• 3. Re: DG45ID Error Codes
              parsec

So you've never noticed those POST codes before?  I own a DG45ID, and I've seen them many times.  One reason you may not have noticed them is that your new configuration and hardware takes longer to POST, not surprisingly, so they remain on the screen longer for you to notice.  My DG45ID PC, when it starts, will show a few of the POST codes as the routines finish, and then I'll hear a single short beep, indicating the POST was successful.

The "Port 80h Post Codes", as they are called, are POST Progress Codes, which indicate the POST steps that are completing.  They are not all error codes at all, and their display as the PC POST runs does not indicate a problem.  All the POST codes are not displayed to the PC's monitor, some PCs display none, and at best we only see the ones that are output after the video card has been activated.  Actually the only correct way to monitor POST codes is with a card that plugs into a PCI slot and captures and displays all the POST codes.  Some mother boards have this built into them with a LED display.

If a routine does fail during POST, then the code assigned to that routine/function will be displayed, to give an indication of what failed.  But it is also possible that the routine that failed is the one following the one whose code is displayed, if it could not complete.  The order of POST routines and their POST codes should be provided by the mother board manufacture.

This is a link to a list of POST codes, beep codes, BIOS error messages, and other information that Intel provides for it's mother boards:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-025434.htm

It seems from your questions that your PC does boot and run, although a DVD drive is not seen by the BIOS.  Are you having any other problems?  What is the POST beep code you get?

• 4. Re: DG45ID Error Codes
                parsec

denbu,  One clarification and one possible solution.  I have seen the same POST codes you mentioned (50, 51, and EB) when my DG45ID PC starts, and then I get the one short beep code.

The following is something you might want to try in order to have your DVD drive recognized.  The following is from the Technical Specification document for the DG45ID:

It is possible to optimize the boot process to the point where the system boots so
                quickly that the Intel logo screen (or a custom logo splash screen) will not be seen.
                Monitors and hard disk drives with minimum initialization times can also contribute to
                a boot time that might be so fast that necessary logo screens and POST messages
                cannot be seen.

This boot time may be so fast that some drives might be not be initialized at all. If
                this condition should occur, it is possible to introduce a programmable delay ranging
                from three to 30 seconds (using the Hard Disk Pre-Delay feature of the Advanced
                Menu in the Drive Configuration Submenu of the BIOS Setup program).

Adding a delay with the Hard Disk Pre-Delay feature is a simple thing to do and easily changed back if it does not help, and well worth trying to alleviate your problem.