Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) Voltage flucuations, but clock frequency remains the same

idata
Employee

I got a Lenovo y560p, with a Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) processor.

While running cpu at 100% and the gpu at 96% heat becomes a minor issue, which the i7 solves be reducing the voltage from 1.2360V to 1.1259V. The frequency remains at 2.0 GHZ while the temperature goes from 94C to 83C.

I'm using CoreTemp 0.99.8 to monitor the cpu.

My question is why doesn't the frequency go down? When my old T2600 did the same thing the frequency went down from 2.16 GHz to ~1 GHz.

Another question, what happened to "Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0"? Wasn't this supposed to overclock all four cores (when they are being used, which they are, all 8 threads are at 100%). Maybe this is why there is the voltage difference but no clock difference, and CoreTemp doesn't monitor Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 correctly?

Anyways looking forward to the reason why. Thanks alot!

EDIT: Installed it on and now CoreTemp shows 2.4 GHz Now just for teh volage explaination and why he clock remains the same

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Download and install Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor 2.0 to see if Turbo Boost is working.

idata
Employee

If you look at the spec the frequency can only vary from 2.0 GHz to 2.9 GHz.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's actually for only one core. When it's 8 threads being used it's 2.4.

Anyways my question still remains. Why the lower voltage and still the same frequency? What is the difference?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The spec does not say per core. Anyway, what does the Turbo Boost Monitor say?

What do you expect about the voltage when the processor is 100% loaded ? Should it go up, fixed or down? Is it a momentary fluctuation?

BTW: Is this your thread or Jsabou1?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I understand the voltage flucuates and I'm fine with that.

The problem is that I only see the voltage fluculate with the frequency. So when voltage goes up, the frquency goes up. Volage does down, frequency goes down.

What my question is, is that the voltage is at 1.2360V and at 2.0 Ghz, but when heat becomes an issue (This occurs when I use the gpu and cpu 100% at the same time) it goes to 1.1259V BUT remains the same frequency.

So the frequency remains teh same even though the volts decreased (doesn't really matter what caused it).

What is the difference between 1.2360V @ 2.0 GHz and 1.1259V @ 2.0 GHz?

I can't conlcude it is a bit slower because it is the same frequency. So that is why I'm confused and asking.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry, this is jsabou1, I just thought I put auto logon.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You might be interested in reading the Q&A and the help file of turbo boost monitor. Also you can read the tps of your mobo. Just suggesting them to gain more insight of the questions that you are seeking answers with.

Good luck!

0 Kudos