9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2011 4:17 AM by fopetesl

DG45ID - No rear sound(?)

fopetesl

"Upgraded" from Vista to Windows 7/32

Installed all the latest drivers from Intel downloads.

Everything OK _except_ no audio from rear 5.1 speakers.

Front panel is HD (not AC97) and works OK : Checked the mainboard plug has pin 4 wired.

Also checked with Front Panel disconnected since I read that this could cause a problem.

Went through IDT Control Panel and can get sound from all rear speakers through playback/test.

Also sound from Control Panel->Sounds->Test _but_not_Windows_Sounds (Shutdown/Startup/etc)

Also from here I note that "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Currently unavailable"

Am I missing the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC?

Seems I'm not alone with IDT sound problems :-((

Maybe not associated but I have two devices with yellow ! boxes in Devices: PCI Simple Communications Controller _and_ PCI Serial Port.

• 1. Re: DG45ID - No rear sound(?)
          fopetesl

C'mon guys. I could really do with some help here ...

• 2. Re: DG45ID - No rear sound(?)
            Flying_Kiwi

fopetesl wrote:

Maybe not associated but I have two devices with yellow ! boxes in Devices: PCI Simple Communications Controller _and_ PCI Serial Port.

I'll start with the easiest things first. These are sometimes associated with missing Intel ME Engine drivers so you may want to double check that you have actually installed *all* of the latest, correct drivers for your new O/S. If you have something plugged into the front audio, it disables the rear ports so make sure everything is unplugged other than the port you're testing on the back.

Was the sound working fine before the O/S 'upgrade'? I'm not familiar with Vista to Win 7 upgrades but how did you do the upgrade - was is from a freshly partitioned/formatted drive ie everything new or did it involve keeping your old partition - if the latter, you're better off backing up your important data to external media and doing a fresh install for greater reliability. My issues with IDT software involved using Dolby Digital (and not regular non-DD sound) but since cleaning the back of the motherboard it seems to be more reliable - I doubt this is related to what you're experiencing.

• 3. Re: DG45ID - No rear sound(?)
              fopetesl

Thanks, kiwi.

I've installed every g*d damned driver I can find both on the Intel site and several other sites which claim to have Audi HD drivers.

I installed the Intel ME engine primariliy to get rid of the (!) device warnings in Devices - that cleared one but still leaves the PCI Serial Port warning.

I've tried without front panel plugged in even though it is a HD (not AC97) panel and nothing is plugged into it anyway.

Yes it did give sound when Vista was installed.  I upgraded by reformating the HDD and doing a clean install.

BTW, I can get audio out of the rear Green socket if I plug earphones in ... and the front panel for that matter.

I've read that the front panel can be turned off but I cannot see any way to do this in either Sounds or the IDT Control Panel.

• 4. Re: DG45ID - No rear sound(?)
                Flying_Kiwi

fopetesl wrote:

I installed the Intel ME engine primariliy to get rid of the (!) device warnings in Devices - that cleared one but still leaves the PCI Serial Port warning.

...then....

BTW, I can get audio out of the rear Green socket if I plug earphones in ... and the front panel for that matter.

I'm confused, is there no rear sound or is it working? If it works with earphones but not something else, how do you know the other device isn't faulty or requiring to much power (eg many speakers need batteries or external power). Is there 2 explanation marks in device manager or are you saying you've since eliminated one by following my advise and installing the ME Engine? If the latter, I'm concerned that you may not have installed all of the correct drivers in the correct order. This is a precise business and a thorough approach is needed. Here's how I perform my Win 7 install on my DG45ID (I have a RAID 0+1 setup and will always start by creating a new array - after deleting the old one):

Install the o/s by booting from the DVDROM then in the following order (rebooting after each and sourcing each from Intels DG45ID downloads website), Intel chipset drivers, the Intel ME Engine, Intel G45 Graphics driver (note there is a newer version searching for the G45 chipset than linked to from the DG45ID page) then finally the Intel IDT Audio software (if not using the Win 7 SP1 native drivers).

Once you're at this stage (and before installing any other software) it's a good time to test everything out to make sure all the DG45IDs hardware is working fine. Do you have any cards installed in the motherboard or any USB devices plugged in - the remaining explanation mark is possibly associated with that.

• 5. Re: DG45ID - No rear sound(?)
                  fopetesl

I don't know what happened there.  I answered this post yesterday

Sound situation:

The front HD panel works with audio on headphones and speakers with music, windows sounds, etc.

The rear HD panel works with audio on Green headphones jack only.

However the rear HD outputs for 7.1 surround do make a sound when using the IDT panel with the Test Speakers option only, i.e. independent hiss from each speaker.

BTW, I've tried getting support from Intel.  'Live' chat is a waste of time.  Telephone support refuse to discuss anything except Intel boxed product.

Advent System Computer don't have any download or support.  Computer did not come with any install CDs.

Thanks for the install sequence tips.

• 6. Re: DG45ID - No rear sound(?)
                    Flying_Kiwi

fopetesl wrote:

I don't know what happened there.  I answered this post yesterday

Sound situation:

The front HD panel works with audio on headphones and speakers with music, windows sounds, etc.

The rear HD panel works with audio on Green headphones jack only.

However the rear HD outputs for 7.1 surround do make a sound when using the IDT panel with the Test Speakers option only, i.e. independent hiss from each speaker.

Ah I see now It appears that you may be expecting something the system isn't capable of - ie putting out surround sound from a stereo source. Surround sound will only be emmitted when your player/software outputs appropriate signals for all the speakers to work. Certain games and DVD/Blu-ray players with movies often comply in this regard (as well as the IDT internal tester). It seems what you've described is 'as designed'. You'll need to liase with your PC supplier/manufacturer for system factory restore options, should you wish to go down that path. They may use something called a hidden partition...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: DG45ID - No rear sound(?)
                      fopetesl

Ah! Something new learnt every day.  About the surround sound bit.

I'll try later with your ideas about Blu Ray, etc. but at the moment I've plugged in a HDD with XP on it and am installing drivers.

If I get the same result then you're 100% correct.

More later...

Message was edited by:fopetesl

And you ARE 100% correct kiwi.

So I owe you a beer.or two

I downloaded a free surround sound track and (when I'd turned off headphones) I can get sound from at least the front and rear speakers.

That's in both XP and Windows 7

Don't have a 5.1 setup here so will try tonight.  Many thanks for the education

• 8. Re: DG45ID - No rear sound(?)
                        Flying_Kiwi

fopetesl wrote:

Ah! Something new learnt every day.  About the surround sound bit.

I'll try later with your ideas about Blu Ray, etc

Be aware that Dolby Digital or DTS may also come into it if you are attempting to output such a signal to non-DD/non-DTS supporting speakers. It's well worth having a read of parsecs post here in relation to all things surround sound.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: DG45ID - No rear sound(?)
                          fopetesl

Thanks again, kiwi.

Worked fine on surround sound last night - when I remembered to turn off the headphones in the IDT panel!

It seems that I can get stereo (not surround) from the rear Green jack socket which also serves as the "Front left/right" output but only when Speaker and not Headphones is selected in the IDT Control Panel, i.e. will pay music CDs into an amplifier and speakers whilst the other 5.1 speakers get muted.

Maybe this will help someone else.

Nice link to an explanatory post on surround vs. stereo, BTW.