1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 5:12 PM by 14nickintel

cpu utilization shoots to 100%

samyak

my cpu utilization shoots to 100% on startup.there are random spikes and after few min. it becomes normal.

before updating my bios dis never happened.

just help me if there is any solution to this.

my specs:

Q8400s 2.66ghz

intel dg31pr

4gb ram ddr2

9800gt 1gb(galaxy)

• 1. Re: cpu utilization shoots to 100%
          14nickintel

I have used Windows XP Home Edition since 2004 and sometimes when the computer starts up and the Startup items have finished loading the hard drive begins to make a lot of noise and sometimes this may go on for 2 minutes. When I got my first computer I remember checking the CPU useage after reading reports of other people noticing high CPU activity levels but I did not find anything unusual.

If what you are experiencing is like what I describe and you do not notice any other problems I would think your computer is doing something it is designed to do. It may be doing a maintenance the operating system is designed to do.

Noticing you updated the Bios recently I would think the operating system is adjusting itself to the new Bios.

Sysinternals Suite

By Mark Russinovich http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062.aspx

is free software applications that include an advanced Process Monitor which I have only opened to look at which may tell you which process is at work the next time you notice the computer activity.

The software is currently 27MB. I can only say I like the look of the System Internals Suite but it is free and works.

1 of 1 people found this helpful