9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2011 1:31 AM by parsec

DP67BG Users Please Post Your Platform Controller Hub Temp

mothman

Using the DP67BG with i7 2600. Intel Desktop Utilities shows the PCH (Platform Controller Hub) temp at 43c. I just wanted to see what others temp is to get an idea of what the norm may be.

• 1. Re: DP67BG Users Please Post Your Platform Controller Hub Temp
          mothman

Hey please could one of you guys using the DP67BG just go into your Bios and under Configuration/hardware monitor tell me the temp of your PCH and if it seems to move. Mine seems stuck at 43c and I'd really like to know if my board has a problem. Come on it will take you 5 minutes and really help me out !

• 2. Re: DP67BG Users Please Post Your Platform Controller Hub Temp
            vvv850

Hey mothman,

I was testing my new overclock with prime95 and in the interval of 1h the PCH temperature (in IETU it is referred to as ICH) didn't move one bit. It stayed at 43C.

My BIOS version is 1815 and I think this is a bug of some sort.

If anyone has any answers, please post because, in this case, the system may not warn you if the PCH is overheating.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DP67BG Users Please Post Your Platform Controller Hub Temp
              mothman

v v v 850 Thanks you so much for checking that and confirming that perhaps there is a problem here. I did call Intel and they said they would set up a DP67BG for a test but who knows when any answers might come. I'll post again if I hear anything. Also I too 'am using 1815 bios. I should also mention that in some reviews of this board I noticed a Bios screen shot and sure enough the PCH temp is the magical 43c !

• 7. Re: DP67BG Users Please Post Your Platform Controller Hub Temp
                mothman

Thanks for checking everyone  and helping to verify what is certainly a bug with the DP67BG. I never heard anything back from Intel but I'm not surprised since it's the very P67 chipset that was recalled thats giving this false/stuck reading. I'm still using the board until new ones come out and in the meantime I hope a Bios update fixes this bug as I'd sure like to know what my PCH is doing !

• 8. Re: DP67BG Users Please Post Your Platform Controller Hub Temp
                  wasabipeas

I apologize for resurrecting an older thread but I just wanted to let you know that I received my replacement B3 revision DP67BG this week.  On my old board my PCH temp was always at 43C.  With this new board it stays at 43C but it does go up to 45C when I run Prime95.  Maybe they fixed it?

• 9. Re: DP67BG Users Please Post Your Platform Controller Hub Temp
                    parsec

If you carefully read the Datasheet for the Intel 6 Series Chipset, specifically the section on Thermal Management, the seemingly stuck or rarely changing PCH temperature reading can be understood.  The P67 chip belongs to this series.  The DP67BG mother board does not have a problem with reading the PCH temperature.  The behavior of the temperature reading is due to the manner in which the P67 chip monitors and reacts to changes in its temperature.

The thermal sensor is contained within the P67 chip, and thermal data can be sent to software from the chip.  Thermal data is not sent to the software until a specific temperature threshold or level has been exceeded.  This initial temperature can (and is) be set by software, but the PC user does not have access to that capability.  The choice of this initial temperature, which is related to the accuracy of the thermal sensor, is 43C.  Other mother board manufactures using this chip may choose to change that value, but Intel chose 43C on this board.

As long as the PCH does not exceed 43C, no useable thermal data is available from it, so the display shows this "lowest" value.  This is not a new technique of thermal monitoring and displaying temperatures, an older Intel mother board I have won't display a temperature below 50C for a similar type of chip.  Yes, it would be nice if that was documented in the User's manual.

The good news in this is that while the P67's maximum operating temperature is the same as previous generation chips (just over 100C), it runs much cooler than those other chips from what I've experienced using them.  So monitoring it's temperature is less important.

Frankly, the primary purpose of this chips thermal monitoring ability is not to provide a temperature reading for us to see, but to automatically protect it from being destroyed by overheating.  Imagine trying to design a system to do that.  If you care to read about it, the details are in that document, and once you study it you'll likely see that it does make sense.