14 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2011 6:04 AM by

it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.

RanCorX2

Hi, I've already emailed intel support via the contact us page, i'd thought I'd ask here as well about my problem. I have a 4gb turbo memory module, i've already installed it and the software / drivers, but the pinning dashboard won't load, the system tray icon says "hardware unconfigured" and when I try and load the dashboard it just tells me the turbo memory device isn't working or is not present.

I've tried all the release of the software & drivers but so far no luck, I've googled the errors and am still none the wiser, many have reported it works fine for them which is rather annoying...

I'm using windows 7 and my laptop has a PM965 chipset which is supported by turbo memory. Does anyone know how to get this damn thing to work?

• 1. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.

any idea if intel plan of updating the drivers / software as it doesn't work properly on windows 7, the dashboard part is useless.

• 2. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.
            Overtkill

I certainly hope so. Currently I have 2 of the 4GB units that are completely worthless on my x48 boards. The second I get them installed with the drivers, my puter want to reboot. I do that and never make it into Windows again! I have to roll back the OS to a previous good state and take the card out.

Intel should do something to correct these units. Right now, they are totally worthless to me. I'd be better off getting a USB 3.0 card and matching 32GB USB flash drive (I have 2 of the Corsair Survivor heavy duty units). I could be dedicating one as a ready boost drive.

Come on INTEL!!! Fix these issues! I am willing to play the guinea pig to get them working!

• 3. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.
              JeremyP99

Same problem here. There is no installation device as such - for example, instal THIS Intel software in this order BEFORE rebooting and installing the card, or - Install the card first, and then have the installation software available for when it is detected and configured.

Is it that difficult?

Let's hope we get some feedback from Intel - clearly it is hit and miss whether these cards install properly. My Shuttle SX38P2 Pro has a slot for these devices, and notes in the spec that they are for Turbo Memory. I shall try asking them, but their support has got very poor in the last year for whatever reason, it seems to me - eNotes not answered, and folk on the end of the phone who know less than me it seems. And I don't know much...

• 4. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.
                JeremyP99

Just noticed here - on the Turbo Memory Console, in the Parameter drop down list with ReadyBoost Enabled, ReadyDrive enabled - below that it reads Cache Size - (value) 4Gb. One presumes this is not a guess on the software's part, which suggests that it can see the device ... which is flagged as OK in Device Manager, working properly - but not communicate with it.

Intel? Help us out here, please? I've spent over £100 on this little bit of magic, as the final part of speeding my PC up as much as possible. Don't frustrate me now please!

• 5. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.
                  JeremyP99

Further evidence that the card is recognised on the hardware side. Aida64 reports it in Devices/Physical Devices/PCI Devices

Bus 6, Device 0, Function 0          Intel Turbo Memory 4GB Full Mini

Also in Devices/PCI Devices

Intel Turbo Memory 4GB Full Mini

with various data referenced, such as

Bus Type PCI Express 1.0 x 1

Bus/Device/Function 6,0,0 (as above)

Device ID 8086-444E

Subsystem ID 8086-4447

Device Class 0580 (Memory Controller)

Revision  11

Fast Back-toback Transactions not supported

Device Features

66 Mhz operation - not supported

Bus mastering - Enabled.

So the machine is seeing the card at the hardware level. Which suggests a problem with the driver, I guess?

By the way, there is NO support option for Turbo Memory, it seems to me, at http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm - which makes it impossible to report a problem formally. Think I will ring them up tomorrow and see what I can find.

• 6. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.
                    Overtkill

I'm glad you can get that far. My x48 (Intel DX48BT2) allows me to initially install a driver in Win7 64bit, and never recovers during the following reboot. Oddly enough, I suspect something up between the card and drivers vs. my GeForce 295 (conflict possibly?). I end up recovering the last known good boot upon rebooting as there is no other way to get back into Windows after the issue rears its ugly head.

As far as I can tell with Intel's support, its pretty hit and miss as well. I had to return a newer SAS controller a couple of months ago, and found the process fairly easy. However I never get an answer when I send messages to their support staff regarding these cards. I baught 2 of them to go into my 2 quad core systems. Both use the same motherboard, and neither finishes the reboot after detection and driver installation. Both do however use nVidia GeForce 295's for 3D work in 3DS Max. I do not own ATI cards, and never plan to own one. I just wish they would give us something to try with these cards. But I am betting they have no interest in supporting these cards because they are a little out dated.

I do wish they'd prove me wrong.

-JBP.

"Overtkill"

EDIT: Please let me know what you hear from them.

• 7. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.
                      JeremyP99

Will report back here. The other time I have had phone support from them, they were very good. I had initially intended to put a mini-Pci-E SSD in this slot. Got one, to find that despite having the correct connector (as opposed to SATA) it was mSata. and would not be supported on the Shuttle I have. That slot's for Turbo Memory they told me, so having investigated that, I decided to try it out. And here we are. I might try uninstalling all the related Intel software, and then reinstal the TM driver, just in case. It does seem to me that given that Windows clearly recognises its existence, there must be a problem with the drivers that it is not being fully recognised. Most frustrating. 

• 8. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.
                        JeremyP99

Trying Shuttle, the manufacturer of my box. Logged a support form with their German (head EU) website, and they have passed it on to the head office in Taiwan. Will keep you posted.

• 10. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.
                          JeremyP99

Well. I got it working. Uninstalled the turbo memory driver and matgrix storage manager that comes bundled up with it. Left card in and rebooted. Not warned of any new device, but Device Manager showed an Unknown Device. Assuming this to be the card, I tried updating the driver by pointing to the directory with the GUI installed for the Turbo Memory Driver, which also has a .inf installer.

Unknown device disappeared. Storage Controller entry popped up. Installed the software, rebooted, device icon in the system tray for the first time was OK, and the Turbo Memory Console showed ReadyBoost enabled, and the Turbo Memory Dashboard finally worked. I used it to pin a number of programmes to it - said it was 55% full. Everything working fine, hard to tell if any difference in retrieval times was happening, but I suspect some usage has to happen before you notice it.

Anyway, thought I had better reboot to see how resilient this is. Turbo memory system tray icon showed a percentage ticker for loading pinned programmes, which stopped at 34% and stuck there. Clicking on the console gave me the error message again about the card not being correctly configured.

Tried a couple more reboots, one stuck at 10% the other just gave the error version of the icon.

So I gave up and bought myself a 60Gb SSD at a reasonable price, have just copied my boot disk to it and am running from it now, with clearly improved startup and execution times (this of course dependent on the programme behaviour - Chrome is even faster than normal, which is fantastic, and MediaMonkey, my media library (over 6Tb) runs up hugely faster.

On the other hand, Shuttle in Taiwan got back to me. They had installed the same card in the same model of Shuttle PC i have, and - of course - it worked first time.

Anyone want a barely used Intel Turbo Memory?Cut you a deal! :-)

• 11. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.
                            Overtkill

lol.... Thanks, but I have 2 of these worthless things of my own..

I would really question whether or not Shuttle got it to work. But since we can't be there to see for ourselves, we'll just have to take their word for it. I really wish someone from Intel would jump in here with some suggestions for us. But as I said before, they probably abandoned these cards because they never really worked right in the first place.

I run 4 WD Velociraptors 160GB drives in raid 0 for my C: drive, as I have for many years. I was contemplating getting one of those OCZ PCI-E Revo-drives. The spec's look awesome on those. Anyway, I'll likely just get a USB 3.0 card, and use one of my 32GB Corsair "Survivor GTR" flash drives on that w/Ready Boost switched on, with all 32GB dedicated to it.

Best of luck to you in all your endeavors, and thanks a ton for all the great correspondence.

-JBP

"Overtkill"

• 12. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.
                              JeremyP99

Cheers. I spent over 20 years in IT, including support work, and I guess, some things never change!

• 13. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.

I have a x200 with an SSD intel 80g. 8 gig of ram. I try to find litterature to know if I could use the ready boost slot to put one of these new intel mini pcie ssd as a second drive. After reading everything on the net, something is missing in the info. I need to conclude if it will work or not. I cannot check it out because I did not buy it yet. First, when one of the person on forum said that it is seen in the bios as drive 0 is good sign. Being installin and working for long with all scsi controler, when any bios give drive 0 to a drive, by default it will want this drive to boot. Trying to boot without an OS is moot. I have windows 7 64, I would be curious to disable ready boost and enable it to be use as a drive instead. I think the readyboost option force the drive becoming the 0. The 8.9.2.1002 AHCI driver is the most recent 8-7-2009. I would like so much to try that one out.

• 14. Re: it appears that the intel turbo memory device is not functioning properly or is not present.

1. Start Intel Turbo Memory Console.

2. Uncheck "enable Windows ReadyBoost" and "enable Windows ReadyDrive"